Membership drive

T

train

I'm back... now that I'm unemployed I should have more time...

As for making it to a con - it most likely would be a regional type thing for most of us...

So - are you a CPA - NorthSider - or SouthSider... maybe an East Coast Membah, or West Coast Jiggy?

(here come the bandanas!)

Killer Joe

What IS the record for most CPA'ers gathering? For us here in the Ohio Valley it's been:
Mooseman, YoungBeard & myself all at my house for Magic.

T

train

Not sure about CPAers - maybe something with Azreal?

I got no shame... I've always been IT, but have known almost every inch of our operation... So, I tyhpically got sent to investigate, research, terminate others, etc... Well, we've been really short-handed in one of our operations, so, knowing the system as I do, I was sent to cover a whole other position...

However, I still had to do all my IT work. We had an IT dept. of 4 (Me + 3) in July... Two gentlemen were moved into another dept. for permanent research and system verification (acct. dept. actually)... My last gentleman went back to school in August... so since then I was on my own... covering all of those aspects...

Well - come end of year, budget was getting tight... So no one else was brought on board... From September through November, I held both pretty well... but I told the supervisor that I couldn't continue doing it much longer... (I kept getting the "we're working on it" phrase...) (I also went back to school starting in November, and am still in classes...)

It came to a point were things got behind. It built up, and I was honest about being behind... Next thing I know there is paperwork being drawn up for my term. (I was told it was going to be a demotion, but because I left the premises after being told not to, by someone that wasn't my supervisor, it became a term. I feel they were terming me from the start, then realized, they wouldn't have anyone to pick up the load... so it would be a demotion.)

We separated ways, and they are paying for it time-wise with just one of the reports that I used to run, that they no longer have access to... :cool: They had bought me a company laptop (I'd been using my own) but I never transferred anything over due to it being a different OS (Vista) and I would have to support users for XP anyhow... So everything I created and all company info came with me... (literally all company info)... I've since been wiping anything not of use...

So that's where I am...

Some potentials, but nothing certain yet... still looking...

Focusing on M-F jobs,mainly, and some online positions, such as Web Design, etc...

It was definitely one way to start the new year... and a late christmas present ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dude, that sucks (unless you're glad to be gone :) ). Hope you find something that you like soon...

T

train

I liked what I did - but am nowhere near emotional about it...

To further the thought it was going to be term or other, the supervisor I reported all this to just got a 13% raise... which effectively doesn't hit the bottom line with my salary gone... hmmm...:rolleyes:

I'm sure I'll find something...:cool:

X

Xionicist

YoungBeard said:
Maybe we should promote at some of the big game cons, pass out some flyers and stuff on the info tables. At Origins there used to be a casual group from Compuserve that met in the big glass hall that connects the hotel to the convention center. Their games were open to all, I believe. Dunno if they are still around since I haven't been to Origins in a few years. But hope to go this year.
Speaking as a convention organizer at a growing multi-genre convention, I can safely say that I am willing to help promote the CPA at TempleCon 2008 in Providence, RI, this February 1st-3rd, if you all can come up with a flyer to send me and have us put on our freebie table. The convention website is here: http://www.templecon.org/ We have several organized play events for Magic, but also run a couple of Chaos Melee events, which are definitely oriented toward the casual player, and since the Convention Director and I first met over an all-nighter of casual group Magic at a local convention, we have a vested interest in keeping casual Magic alive and well. :)

I don't know how many of the CPA's members are in the New England Area, but if anyone wants to come out and promote and TempleCon, bring your cards! We have managed to get together a stellar line-up of Magic artists and other game artists, including: Rebecca Guay, Quinton Hoover, Heather Kreiter, Rick Sardinha, and Cyril Van Der Haegen, so this year's event is a serious opportunity to get some cards signed! :cool:

Please let me know if you are interested in promoting at the con and have flyers for me to put out. And if I get a chance to play a game or two with y'all in the midst of my administrative duties, so much the better! ;)

- Ximon Dunedain
TempleCon Creative Director
http://www.templecon.org/

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, cool! Here's our chance!!

I'm in the Mid-Atlantic region so I won't be there and honestly, I'm not sure if anyone is in the New England area, but maybe someone wants to drive/fly there? :)

Y

YoungBeard

Hey! I started to make a flyer. It required very little effort. It needs graphics -- I have the artistic talent of a fungusaur... :cool:

--->flyer

N

Nightstalkers

Insert witty comment here

Add magic artwork and/or logos.

T

train

I clicked on the link - but I guess maybe there wasn't an update on the artwork?

B

Budget Player Cadet

I'm trying with all my might to reel in a few of my friends... There really isn't enough action here, specially not in Battle Arena :(...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Or post decks, single card strategies, current events (what's happening in Germany) or start a battle with Ransac (he battles everyone).....

B

Budget Player Cadet

Trying, its just that that would make quadruple posting...
And this guy is just too lazy to get in!

R

Reverend Love

Maintaining a stable membership is going to be difficult. As is recruiting new "casual" players. By definition they're casual members of the magic community, so most likely aren't driven to participate in an online discussion of their casual hobby.

That and you've got to compete with the likes of SCG, the Wizard's website.

Or they turn mutate into burned out, aggressive tournament oinks like myself, and other douches who will go unnamed.

/Lurk mode activated

B

Budget Player Cadet

Good point-I signed in there because it has that much more use than here.
I still like the people here more, though-in three weeks of Gleemax use, I've been threatened to be kicked out four times!