Least Liked set

G

galtwish

Ahhh, Cadelabra. oops, my oversight. But it does further my point that that set did very little for the game. candelabra is just broken. And Eron is a lot of fun, but a 5/2 haste for 3RR? I love him more than any other card (sans Arrows) from Homelands, but he doesn't cut the Mustard. And The Dark gave us Preacher, Ball Lightning, Maze of Ith, Blood Moon for tourneys and Dark Heart of the Wood, Goblin Caves & Shrine, and Wormwood Treefolk for casual decks. I still think Antiquties is the bum set of all time due to the smallest play value contributed to the game. Other than Unglued (which should kick up a firestorm of remarks. heh.)

Erik

T

tyger51

i think visions was the worst the main reason is the symbol is a "v" which is stupid. the cards were not that great

Killer Joe

I just can't bear to label a set "worst". How about a set "Most likely to be underused" yeah, in that case it's Homelands and Prophecy.
Yeah, I'm a fence sitter.

D

Duel

Now, nobody may agree with me, but my least liked set is weatherlight.

No, I don't know any cards form the set.
No, I didn't get a bad draw
No, I didn't lose a tourney with it

I just can't stnad the name Weatherlight. It sounds like a type of friggin raincoat! Who's with me?

V

VoLRaTH

i hate all sets if i pay its money
in the other hand i love all sets if somebody pays it for me.........

I think im a little sponger.

M

Multani

It's gotta be Arabian Nights. It's got absolutely horrible cards and the cards are either a) incomprehesible b) really lame and confusing c) flat out broken. I don't give )*@# about it's worth. I think it was a waste of cardboard.

[Edited by theorgg on August 7th, 2000 at 12:38 AM]

C

Cateran Overlord

I love Prophecy myself Gizmo, but then I'm not a serious tournament player like you. Prophecy is a spectacularly fun set, and some of it is actually good for constructed if you think about the cards. Give it another look, personally I think Urza's block is the worst thing to ever happen to tournament Magic ever. Prophecy is one of the best. If I play a tournament, you'd better believe a lot of Prophecy stuff will be there to screw with my opponent'shead, which is one of the set's best attributes (Rhystic anything is good).

T

theorgg

Homelands was FUN. seventy-five of it too expensive, but FUN. reduce the bad cards by (1) and the're usable.

Fallen Empires--This set is the best set ever printed in my opinion... I've got my reasons posted in this and the old dojo board at LEAST six times, so I'm not going to repeat 'em now.

Most Loathed set? a tie-Saga and Desteny, and a smaller degree, Nemesis.

Why? theese cards have things in 'em(include jar w/ saga since harly anyone remembers it's legacy) that decrese the amount of player interaction. the night legendary combo cards of saga.
Bargain, Replinish and a few others in Desteny, not to mention the Master 'bater.
and I'll be flaimed for this one, but I HATE when I'm right about cards and don't take advantage of 'em for myself...
I KNEW the Paralax card in white would be good, and I PROOVED that Tangle Wire was good at the PR.
I just didn't relentlessly try to trade for them.
fooey on me. No creatures for you! Tap things unbalancedly! Swift but painless death to the empire! May you live in interesting times! Is this Ank Morpork? Hello says mr. purple hippo! I want to eat your foot!

D

Duel

Saga and destiny were broken, but they're fun to draft, because they make good decks that are not broken

I won my last destiny draft with 5 masks of law and grace in my maindeck... I know... that's really sad...

H

HumanError

If you want to talk about tournament quality sets, my vote will go in for Masques and Nemesis. Masques-block is lame as hell. My friends and I tried to come up with something rogue and kinda realized that there are only one or one viable decks in Masques block right now. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

As for the set that's authentically the biggest detriment to Magic in the history of time, I'm voting Nemesis. It reminded us of everything bad and evil in Magic. Almost nothing in the set was fun (although I'm trying to procure Plague Witches since I didn't buy any packs of it, and won't). If it wasn't for Prophecy and it's legion of big, stupid cards that reminded me of how much fun Magic was when we were starting out - because you didn't care how much a card cost to play as long as it had a neat effect - I probably would have quit the game.

Now bring on Invasion!

P

Purple_jester

The worst sets for players are Antiquities and Homelands, because of the huge number of cards no one will play. Each of these sets had less than 10 playable cards.

The worst sets for the game of Magic itself was Urza's Block. The three sets of this block came at a time when everyone thought that the game would finally balance itself out. Instead, it resurrected the worst aspects of the game. Powerhouse rares made up a majority of the decks, and served to remind everyone that Magic is just another commercial money-making scheme. You might think that Arabian Nights was the same, but the boosters were cheap, and the powerhouse cards plentiful (Juzam's uncommon!), which hurt players a lot less.

D

DÛke

Mikeymike, I don't see what's wrong with getting 3x Sand Squids! Aren't they good enough! OH, never mind, you rather PLAY Morphling and Masticore. Ok.

Gizmo, you don't like Prophecy? It has crap? Yeah ok. You said it don't have any good cards? Have you ever hear of a card called Avatar of Woe? How about Chimereic Idol? There are a lot more, like commons and uncommons...Do you know what the term 'rhystic' come from? All those cards are very playable...Have you ever heard of Mageta? What about Alexi? All those cards suck?

V

VoLRaTH

i dont like nemesis because there is no good cards enough.

There is no big creatures like an angel or a giant. it has a good card but its banned (lin sivvi)

F

FoundationOfRancor

Skyshroud Behemoth was in nemesis. I love to rancor that sucka :)

V

VoLRaTH

i dont mind a card that i can play it two turn(if i remember true in first turn its tapped)

D

Dark Horse

What the hells wrong with nemisis. I for one think nemisis is a good set, and in limited it is very balanced(Sans wave.), and also has some good cards for constructed, and while nowhere near my favorite set, it certainlies better than some gems like Homeland, Weatherlight, etc. Personally my most hated set is masques, which is boring as hell, too slow for its own good, and I have gotten 12 armistices, as compared to 0 ports, 0 squees, 0 Ivory Masks, etc. (3 Rushwood Elementals the only good thing ive gotten.

W

whiteknight11

Definately Fallen Empires...Or Mirage

They both were god offal...Eesh i dont wana think about them, I will piss myself they are so bad

-whiteknight11

N

Nightstalkers

Spirit of the Night out of mirage got them out of the vote here in the shadow realms...

Mircadian Masques creepy things got them off the charts...

Odyssey is the winner!!!

only good cards are those darned dogs and extract's!!!

N

Notepad

I read through this, and I can only concur with all those who say the worst are Prophecy, Homelands, and Exodus. Man, were those junk sets.

Gives me an idea...

Maybe someday I will make a deck of only cards from those sets (plus basic land) and see how well it does. Anybody who wants to beat me to the punchy, go for it. Let's see if these junkers have anything going for them.

Fallen Empires is elite...at least the commons were. Yes, the uncommons were all stinkers. Pew!