Least Liked set

M

manchot_13

Or most hated if you dare.

Mine is mirage. i hate mirage, or mirage hates me at least... i always pull all the bad cards, not that there are that many good cards... i like mist dragon, that's it.

so what are your most hated or least liked sets, not counting any of the reprint or basic sets

F

Fire Slinger

Mercadian Masques. There's a few cards that I really like, but I will never use about 85% of the set.

A

arhar

Urza's Saga.

I never pulled anything good out of it!

No Morphling, Cradle, or Stroke, but always a Rumbling Crescendo, or Hidden Herd... :(

But seriously, my least favorite set, card-wise, is Exodus. There are few cards I like, but they are all overwhelmed by Recurring Nightmare, Mind over Matter, and the likes.

Most hated card from that set: SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST.

I hate when they put Green in Combo decks.. :(

G

garfobo

Damn Urzas Destiny, they gave us MAsticore, Treachery, Yawgmoths Bargains, etc!! Way too much broken $#*!!

[Edited by theorgg on August 7th, 2000 at 12:33 AM]

N

nodnarb24

my least favorite set is nemesis because there not many cards in there that i will actually use

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to say Chronicles ONLY because dopey me didn't realize it was such a small set and I got a box. Thus I got like ten billion sets of Urza lands and 1 billion Fountain of Youths, etc.

Oddly enough I didn't get a lot of Dragons though ;)

But really, I liked all the sets.

S

smurfturd

I remember when The Dark came out i thought all right! magic the "evil" set is here, but when i opened it up, nothing! One great card Maze of Ith, 2 good cards Preacher & Tracker. The art is cool tho.
Also Fallen Empires, Not even a good card in the set, its the worst.
Homelands, A big pile of crap there, 1 good card autumn willow.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I guess you've never been Hymned to Tourach-ed...

Or been beaten by Spraolings (they are so cool!)

Or beaten someone with them...

;)

D

Dune Echo

Ice Age. Yeah, yeah, I know. I just didn't like it very much. I never had any truly great cards in it. I was new to trading at the time and some guy traded me my BoP for a Kjeldoran Skyknight and a Scaled Wurm. When I found out later they were common cards, it really pissed me off because I was newbie at the time.

Other than that, I really wasn't impressed by the set much. I liked the black-bordered reprints though.

M

Mikeymike

Homelands--the worst set they ever made. Granted there are a few exceptions (Autumn Willow, Joven's Ferrets, Serrated Arrows, Baron Sengir, Sengir Autocrat) but its commons are freaking horrible. Imagine playing a draft with this set.

I don't like Masques much either. Again, it has some great cards, but in general the set does nothing for me. I've never gotten a Port in a pack, but I've gotten 3 Sand Squids and 3 Security Details.

C

Cateran Overlord

...and I'm not even gonna talk about it, suffice to say that Ambush Party is a powerhouse in that format :D ...

Seriosuly though, everyone one of the Urza is the root of all evil. All 3 of those sets and all copies of them should be removed from the game of life :mad: Masticore, Replenish, Bargain, Monolith, Cradle, Academy, Spiral, Key... Oh god the list is endless. Never was there a more unbalanced block, with ungodly overpowered things on one side and cards which even I think are crap on the other!!

A

Apollo

It's funny when you can make a list of cards broken in the Urza's cycle and have 8 cards despite forgetting cards like Memory Jar and Morphling :)

That's how broken Urza's cycle was.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Not only for the way it unbalanced Type 2, but also for the way it permanently damaged Type 1 and made 1.5 even more of a memory.

For a set filled with useless cards, OTOH, nothing beats Antiquities, though The Dark comes in a close second. Both were before my time though, so perhaps I should pick one that I've actually bought multiple packs of...

I know! Italian Legends! Sure, I got a couple Dragon Elders, but I also managed to accumulate 3 (count 'em, 3) Tor Wauki's, and host of other crappy cards.

Blech! :p

C

Cateran Overlord

Those were but a FEW examples Apollo, I tend to forget about Memory Jar, but you're right, it is yet another one. I'm not going to put the whole list of broken cards here, as i don't have several hours to find them all... :cool:

G

Gizmo

Prophecy.
Number of cards in Prophecy that aren`t outright crap: 0

Is Prophecy worse than Homelands? Maybe strictly speaking no, but it`s come out 4 years later so you would think they`d manage to avoid printing such a bad set after all this practice.

G

Gizmo

Oh wait - at least Homelands had Autumn Willow (the elder statesman of babes) and Serrated Arrows.
Looks like Prophecy IS even worse than Homelands after all!

F

FoundationOfRancor

I liked Prophecy, i thought it was a very good, and fun set.

G

galtwish

Prophecy as the worst set? It's not an Exodus or a Destiny, but it is about as good as Weatherlight for their respective blocks. In limited it is great, and constructed gives us these gems:
Chimeric Idol
Foil
Mageta, The Lion
Rhystic Lightning
Wild Might
Chilling Apparition
Task Mage Assembly
I'll go so far as to say that Wild Might and Foil will be extended worth cards. Homelands gave us:
Ihsan's Shade
Serrated Arrows
Autumn Willow
of which only two are still played in Extended.

I think the worst set was Antiquities. We got Millstone, Tormod's Crypt, Feldon's Cane, Strip Mine, Mishra's Factory and Mishra's Workshop as the only decent cards from that set. Two are horribly broken (Mine and Workshop (I meant Workshop, sorry for the confusion) and one made constructed a degenerate format (Mine). The others were very situational, with the exception of the Factory.

Erik

[Edited by galtwish on August 3rd, 2000 at 06:41 PM]

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
And I forgot a few cards you remembered. I don't know that I agree with your assessment on the Factories, Galtwish (I've used them a lot, so I know their limitations), but I think maybe I need to change my vote to The Dark after all. 7 useful cards (if somewhat situational) beats 2 (Ball Lightning and Maze of Ith) by quite a bit.

Oh, and I occasionally use an Eron The Relentless in my T1 deck (great surprise factor), so I'd add him to the Homelands list ;).