IYO Whats broken?

I

Istanbul

To play Donate, you have to play with a substandard card that you WANT your opponent to have. Generally speaking, that's either Thought Lash or Illusions of Grandeur. The former is a huge liability if you haven't drawn Donate yet, and the latter...like I said, I believe it needs errata.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Istanbul, I see what you mean, but I don't see how your thinking that Illusions should be errata'd has any impact on the situation. I think that all morph creatures should be errata'd to cause their owners to lose the game, but it doesn't change anything.

Well, that's an extreme example, but I couldn't think of any cards that I wanted to errata negatively (I might make some more powerful, but not less, generally), plus I really hate morph creatures...

D

DeathMaster666

Broodstar is nowhere near as broken as Ravager and Clamp. The environment was balanced when Broodstar was around without the Clamp.

S

shadow_acid

OK now, I agree with Spiderman when he says you are listing cards you think are broken but they are basic friggin cards, like train and his hate for islands, and whoever said counterspell. And those cards like Broodstar and Serra Avatar I don't consider broken because they aren't good in any deck except the ones that support them only.

As for the old Alpha cards, yeah they are broken because nobody knew that MTG would become this popular and complicated.

The new cards are just rediculously overpowered and can kick the shat out of the old cards, like Oxodize, the godly shatter. Thats what needs to be posted

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree Illusions should be errata'd; Donate wasn't around then and it was just envisioned to be a "temp life gainer" for the caster, not to hokey around with the now-stack rules about triggering and whatnot. It's just a card that got a bit out of whack when 6th ed. rules and the stack came out. Like Waylay originally.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Shadow_acid: Do you really think Oxidize is broken?

Well, I do not think that Illusions should be errata'd. I couldn't care less what the intent was behind printing it. It was a terrible card that became somewhat good, but it's not something that needs to be changed because of this. It's a great example of the kind of serendipity that makes the game interesting...

But that's not the issue here. Illusions is not errata'd, and as until it is, that is how we should determine whether or not it's broken.

Now, Illusions, even without the errata, is not broken. Necropotence, which is the engine that powered the deck I think most of us are talking about, is undoubtedly broken regardless of Illusions, so it isn't significant there. It's whether or not Donate is broken.

Well, obviously, Donate is dependent on something like Illusions (other cards can be used, but Illusions of Grandeur is where the real synergy is). But decks utilizing Donate as a kill have done well in the past, and it does something that no other card does, essentially. Plus it turned Necropotence into a card for combo decks (sort of). Based on this, I threw Donate on my list. Then again, I also put Kaervek's Torch on my list, under similar circumstances.

Whether or not Donate and several other cards along with it are broken is debatable. But first we'd have to define "broken."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't know very much about Type II at all...

But this Skullclamp thing seems to be insane no matter where it is, so I'd assume it's on the list...

S

shadow_acid

As for Oxodize, I guess i just think that it is an undercosted green shatter with the no regeneration thing, but for block play, its kinda broken.

N

Notepad

Island is totally abusive in Type II. It always will be, even if blue is nerfed into uselessness and all blue spells are banned to top that off.

I know this finding can be backed up by Professor Loco. Take it, Doc!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
What category of "broken" do lands fall under? By overpowered, would you mean "an ability that a land should not have"? By undercosted, would you mean "it needs more of a disadvantage attached"?

T

train

*The Doc has entered the building...*

slands are the devil - all blue mana the bass-turd child of the devil... and all blue players - brainwashed...

That's it...

I don't think any land is overpowered, but that wanna-be land - Island... It's not land - it's surrounded dirt...:D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
What about Library of Alexandria then, Train..er..Doc? It can help to draw more Islands! Oh, and what about Thawing Glaciers? It fetches Islands right out of the library! Or Tolarian Academy, which makes a lot more blue mana than any Island (unless it's steroided by recurring High Tides, I guess).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think Library and Strip Mine are pushing the envelope for lands... Mishra's Factory used to back in the days of 95-96, but probably not so much anymore with all the other man-lands running around...

I

Istanbul

The best example of a land that isn't land-like at all is Maze of Ith.

Doesn't tap for mana, prevents an attack...even WotC admits that this never should have been printed.