Inventor aiming for invisible walls

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Oversoul
But it could be really fun once it gets on the black market...
Eh... I like those railguns off of Eraser (ya kno, that Gov. California film). Nothin' like terrorists shootin' ya through walls with pieces of aluminum going at the speed of light :eek:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Haven't seen the movie, but aluminum projectiles travelling at light speed would be impressive, to say the least...

Actually, I don't think that it matters what the projectiles are made of when the travel at velocities THAT high. Paper would work too...

M

mythosx

I think spiderman is right, I believe some cars are now equiped with infrared systems to keep objects at a safe distance from you by assisting with braking. I remember reading some where about that.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
If it isn't as accurate and helpful as it needs to be, and it brakes when you REALLY need it not to...

N

Nightstalkers

If it isn't as accurate and helpful as it needs to be, and it brakes when you REALLY need it not to...

When a software program is shipped, most users find errors and other such faults in the program. This is why updates and patches are provided.

On the other hand, you have this kind of problem that would have to be corrected before it is released to the public...

Don't want a guy to brake in the middle of an intersection and get t-boned by a bus, now do we?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Exactly...

I suppose it would be plausible to iron out all the potential errors for this, but it would be expensive, I should think...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think most of those "basic" problems have been ironed out since it's on some cars.

But it's still expensive and not a common feature, which is why it's on expensive cars.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't know. I don't think "common" cars like the Acura, I mean expensive ones that cost around $50,000 and up. So maybe Porsches, Audis, etc.

I'd have to do some diggin for the article if you really want to know.

M

mythosx

It is computer assisted braking and not automatic braking. If you aren't slowing down fast enough. It will apply more pressure. I think they are mostly in Cadillacs. Which incindentally most old people drive. Perhaps there is a correlation?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Really? I thought it was truly a "keep your distance" type of thing, where you couldn't accelerate if it put you in the x distance of the opposing vehicle also. Maybe I will try to look it up...

M

mythosx

In japan they have robotic cars with such a device, it auto stops, turns and what not. But its in proto type stage and crashes quite often.

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by mythosx
In japan they have robotic cars with such a device, it auto stops, turns and what not. But its in proto type stage and crashes quite often.
I think it was Toyota who also had a robot that was like a human being... didn't do much but a few things though...

N

Nightstalkers

Yeah, that's pretty human-like
I'd like to say its more American like....

lol, I think its kinda fun to see a robot as lazy as some of my colleagues.