Inventor aiming for invisible walls

N

Nightstalkers

lol, wearing nothing while posting isn't exactly my cup of tea...

Always wear boxers.

M

mythosx

I'd wear nothing while posting...But i cant since I am at work when I post.

T

train

I can't believe he took my freaking idea...

Okay - granted- if he had this idea before 1994 - it's his... but if not... I was only held down by not having the funds to develop the technology!!!...

(My idea though - was to use this method in making vehicles invisible while driving - you know - stealth...)

:mad:

:cool:

N

Nightstalkers

Thats okay Train, you'll get the jump on him... They've gotta perfect it so that it looks better anyways, and if you can get the jump on him there, you'd be set.

M

mythosx

driving around in an invisible car doesnt sound too safe train. Say you are stopped at a light. And some one comes plowing into your rear cuz you werent supposed to be there. And I know you can say why would you ever stop? no one can see you so you keep driving. Some one somewhere will plow into because they did not see you.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, ideally you could deactivate the invisibility mode or whatever, but if not, well there's no reason to drive on the roads at all.

N

Nightstalkers

My idea of anti-collision technology would be to make cars into giant magnets or something... Make it so that a computer will read the magnetic fields of approaching vehicles, have it switch the magnetic field so that it is the same as the other car, and you'll never hit each other...

Well... in theory you wouldn't hit each other (the test results haven't been too... fruitful...)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I would think that with a strong enough field they'd repel each other and each car would hit whatever is behind it. Never tried it out though and I'm no physicist...

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Oversoul
I would think that with a strong enough field they'd repel each other and each car would hit whatever it behind it. Never tried it out though and I'm no physicist...
One problem would be shielding components from electromagnetic interference..... even with that problem solved you have a slight percentage risk of the system malfunctioning and two vehicles coming together.

Tried it with go-karts and had one heck of a time... up until someone almost lost an eye.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, the malfunction thing could probably be smoothed out over time, but the shielding thing would be tough with such strong electromagnets, I would suppose...

Would it be possible to just use only parts that wouldn't be affected by the magnetic field or is that infeasible?

M

mythosx

With strong enough fields your computers would fry. OK let's say you shielded the cars onboard computers. Your watches, cellphones, pda and laptops would probably have problems. Not memory wise but just general problems. I am well aware that modern memory storage equipment aren't affected by smaller weaker magnets and yes it would have to take something strong enough to pull atoms apart. However, use of said devices would still be affected.

N

Nightstalkers

You should also be worried about pace maker users.... Poor fools get into a car and die instantly.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It would also be really tough to find a parking space...

Instead of electromagnets to repel the vehicle from others, why not just equip it with a computerized railgun the blows to bits anything moving toward the vehicle at a dangerous speed?

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Oversoul
It would also be really tough to find a parking space...

Instead of electromagnets to repel the vehicle from others, why not just equip it with a computerized railgun the blows to bits anything moving toward the vehicle at a dangerous speed?
Well, it would be computerized to create the fields just before collision, and only at high speeds.... And wouldn't adding a railgun just make teenagers want to get into collisions?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oh, I'm not talking about giving these away to teenagers though...

I mean, just for you, to keep yourself safe. Who cares about everyone else anyway?

Letting other people have these wouldn't be fun, because then you could get blown up yourself...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
There's actually technology and cars equipped (probably expensive ones) right now to detect the distance between them and maintain some minimum.

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Spiderman
There's actually technology and cars equipped (probably expensive ones) right now to detect the distance between them and maintain some minimum.
Yeah, and theres also one system where the car will drive itself...

Oh, in the UK there was this thing about an EM pulse or something shot by the police to disable fleeing vehicles. I'm not part of the European community, so I couldn't get any info on that...