Inventor aiming for invisible walls

N

Nightstalkers

The inventor of an "invisibility" cloak says his next project will be to help people see through walls.
Susumu Tachi, who showed off his cloak at an exhibition in San Francisco earlier this month, now hopes to provide a view of the outside in windowless rooms.
"This technology can be used in all kinds of ways, but I wanted to create a vision of invisibility," he told BBC World Service's Outlook programme.
"My short-term goal would be, for example, to make a room that has no outside windows appear to have a view to the outside, then the wall would appear to be invisible."
Professor Tachi's cloak works by projecting an image onto itself of what is behind the wearer.
A computer generates the image that is projected, so the viewer effectively sees "through" the cloak.
There are many potential uses of the cloak, ranging from espionage and military purposes to helping pilots see through the floor of the cockpit to the runway below.
However there are massive questions of potential misuse too, particularly surrounding the huge crime implications.

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Oversoul
Heh, misuse... :)
I was going to make a witty comment, but someone already knows what I'd do with it...

Things just started falling off trucks around here, nobody knows where they land. :)

M

mythosx

thats what you would do with it??!?!?!?! I could have sworn the number one answer to the invisible man question was hanging out in a womens locker room.

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by mythosx
thats what you would do with it??!?!?!?! I could have sworn the number one answer to the invisible man question was hanging out in a womens locker room.
Convert the carapace to fit over a tanks armored hull, and you have an invisible tank. Its pretty hard to hit what you can't readily see...

You have a new breed of thieves where they can sit up in your backyard and blend into the shrubbery, breaking into your house just after you leave.

A person could use this such technology to disguize many things, and I know for a fact how that could be dangerous.

N

Notepad

I'd like to be invisible so I could go to all the customer's houses and shoot them. Wait, does that sound like I'm a disgruntled worker? I mean, I wanna shoot my boss with no witnesses. Wait, that's even worse...

um...both?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
*Ransac wonders if he can use this technology to vote for himself several times in the presidential election.*

All signs point to..........yes. And I will.

:D

Ransac, cpa trash man

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Ransac
*Ransac wonders if he can use this technology to vote for himself several times in the presidential election.*
All signs point to..........yes. And I will.
:D
Ransac, cpa trash man
Two words:

Shameless promotion.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, it's your invisible suit (I mean, if it were, hypothetically) and I'm not going to tell you how to run your life. But still, I think that if hanging out in women's locker rooms is the reason you want it, then you need to get your priorities straight. I mean, invisibility gives the potential to do things that are just so much cooler than that...

N

Nightstalkers

Well, it's your invisible suit (I mean, if it were, hypothetically) and I'm not going to tell you how to run your life. But still, I think that if hanging out in women's locker rooms is the reason you want it, then you need to get your priorities straight. I mean, invisibility gives the potential to do things that are just so much cooler than that...
Wait till it become fashionable to wear pants that are "invisible" and all that.... >.>

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I've worn "invisible" pants before. Got 5 days in the slammer for it, too. I don't recommend it. Especially if you wear the "invisible underwear, too.

Ransac, cpa trash man

E

EricBess

Invisible pants are not illegal, but indecent exposure it...

Try to keep up ;)

N

Nightstalkers

roflmao

Indecent exposure is when a bunch of guys flash the cops...

Decent exposure is when a team of baywatch babes run up and flash the cops.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
*Ransac wonders now if he was actually wearing the "invisible" pants at all or if he just forgot to wear them.*

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Wouldn't you be able to just feel them in order to tell if you're wearing them?

Not if I don't wear them on a regular basis!

*Shameless plug for "Most likely to post while naked" hopeful for this year's CPA Notables.*

Ransac, cpa trash man