Interview. YOUR HELP NEEDED, again!

I

Istanbul

I take a little exception to that.

I play in T1 tournaments constantly. I play against people with P9, Libraries of Alexandria, Juzam Djinns and such, and my blue deck does pretty impressively. The most expensive card? Three Morphlings.

You don't NEED P9. In fact, the only P9 I'd put into my deck is a Mox Sapphire and one Time Walk.

A

Apollo

I play in local type one tournaments every week, and do very well. I've won a bunch of tournaments, and the only power 9 I have is a Mox Jet. And I almost never play black. You don't need to spend a ton to compete.

T

The Magic Jackal

Probably spiderman. I'm helping Rancor out w/ his sliver set, so I need to visit the site frequently to see when people post new ideas.

M

Multani

Tag Guard

Your working on the Sliver Project, too?!
Wow.
I'm doing the story.
I'll send the draft to you if you want it.

P

Pickman620

I haven't read all the post so if I copy a question....Sorry.

Are you doing any more sets in the future(If so how many and how soon)
This may be personal but what are your DCI Rankings?
Are you a competitive player or a casual player?
Have you created any new games that we should look forward to?
If you were creating M:TG again would you still make the power 9 so that the players of the future could have some type 1 fun?
Do you think that M:TG is about to run out of mechanics?

Well thats all I can think of for now. Thank you Orgg for setting this all up.

H

Hetemti

Magic has been, for the most part, a "sleeper" hit...many people play, but most learn of the game from a friend, or a friend of a friend, who was into comic books and saw either the cards, or someone playing the game, and picked it up at the local comic shop. Since Hasbro acquired Wizards of the Coast, a few television commercials were produced using (embarassingly) cheap rubber suits.

Though I understand the desire for Hasbro to attempt to push Magic is the same way as it's other products, I, for one, was more impressed by the old commerical with the guitar music, astute narrator, and empasis on the fact that Magic is a strategy game. The new ads, though mildly comical the first time, seemed to me more suited for the ReSaurus figurines (that were, ironicly, scrubbed when Hasbro acquired WotC).

Had you the power to control Hasbro's marking department, in order to increase general public knowledge and popularity, would you...

a) Produce more ads in the vein of the original TV campaign.
b) Produce more ads such as the ones spawned by Hasbro.
c) Attempt to increase exposure in written media, such as third-pary magizines. (By third-party, I mean those not focusing on CCG/Comic themes).
d) Try to get retail sales again, despite Wal*Mart's, as well as some other store's, cancellation of your product due to satanic accusations from relgious organizations. Considering the numerous, and often surprising, places I've seen Pokémon cards crop up, selling Magic might not be much of a stretch.
e) Try to nurture current players and thier introduction of new players via an incentives program, perhaps something like the Guru program, but with better rewards?
f) Something totally different?

Thank you for your time.

B

ben

So far most of the questions I have read fit into the three categories listed below. I think it would be a good idea to develop a skeleton structure for the interview, as this allows you to stay focused. The three areas I envision are:

1. The man, the myth, Richard Garfield
This would be questions about his height, general bio info, what he does on the weekends, etc.

My questions for this section:

What are you wife's gaming habits?

What do you do when not involved with Magic?

Do you like the SuperSonics?

2. His role in Magic: The Gathering
Questions such as what cards has he designed, what does he do for WotC and his interaction with M:tG would be appropriate for this section.

When you first designed Magic, it was based on mana-to-power ratio, such as the famous 3 for 1 cards. Do you think this system holds true for modern Magic, or has it been revised?

From what I understand, you were involved in statistics around the design of Magic. Did this understanding of stats help you design cards and tune the flow of the game?

3. His view of Magic: The Gathering
Takes his opinion and ideas about Magic. Questions such as what is your favorite card and where do you see magic in the near future would be appropriate for this section.

How do you feel about the current flow of the game? Faster or slower then you envisioned?

If you could change one thing about Magic, what would it be?

When I first started playing Magic, around revised, it was seen as a role-playing game, and attracted that type of audience. Now, Magic is being seen as a sport or competitive game. How do you feel about the change of roles?

Those are most of the questions I can think of. If I come up with any other suggestions I will post them. Good luck with your interview and make us proud!

Ben