Interview. YOUR HELP NEEDED, again!

T

theorgg

well, Maro e-mailed me to tell me the interview is going to come back in about two weeks, so I'd like to go ahead and start working on the interview I kept pretty hush-hush for the last week...

I was hoping somone would pick up on it in the "remember when" thread, but noone did.

so here is the question:

What questions would you ask Richard Garfield, Phd, about the wonderful game he created-and our hobby or even his life?

Quite a question, and one that only You, Members of the CPA, can answer.

[notes to me]
ask about the religeous accusations and what his opinions on 'em are

ask about his wife's gaming habits, opinions on gaming

ask what the hell he ment by "monkey ranching" in that inquest letter.

[Edited by theorgg on August 4th, 2000 at 02:53 PM]

A

Apollo

Well, I think this is a fairly obvious one, but...

Do you think Magic is living up to the dream you originally had for it? Please explain why or why not.

Was Magic originally designed to be a casually played game, or did you expect it to be a "sport" of sorts with the Pro Tours and large cash prizes?

Z

Zadok001

(!) That's actually a really hard question...

However! I think a good way to start to answer it is to come up with what questions from the first interview got good responses, and still apply when taken to Garfield. For example, the one detailing if Garfield's dreams and ideals about Magic had come true would be appropriate.

"And, of course, the basic 'Favorite card/color/deck' stuff."

I

Istanbul

Okay.

What do you think is the most broken Magic card ever?
What do you think of some of the secondary market prices ($400 for a Black Lotus)?
What would you have done if M:TG hadn't taken off like it did?
What's your personal favorite Magic card?
What's your personal favorite Magic set?
How do you respond to critics that claim that Magic is addictive?
Tempest saw foil-stamped pre-release cards. Urza's Legacy saw foil cards. What do you see in the future of alternative-face Magic cards?
Boxers or briefs?

D

Duel

Well, when I talked to Mr. Garfield, his favorite color was blue, he thought magic was good, but becoming too organized, not free-form enough in creature and spell styles, but still thought it was the best ccg ever, he made it to be fun to play in the basement with friends, and I think his favorite card was slight of mind.

C

Chaos Turtle

I understand you still participate in designing some card sets. What goals (as far as creativity, card balance, etc) do you keep in mind when you do this?

Did you anticipate Magic's overshadowing of roleplaying?
What do you think the future holds for gaming (live roleplaying, ccg's, and computer/ online gaming) in general?
What role do you personally expect to play in the future of gaming.

Is gaming "as big as the movies," yet? If not, what do you think still needs to happen for that goal to be realized?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think the question (or similiar) of whether Magic is living up to Dr. Garfield's dream or what his future views are were kinda covered in the Duelist's Five Year Issue in the interview Maro had with Dr. Garfield but that was last year so maybe there's something new to be said.

I would ask:

What are you working on now? (Magic card set, new CCG, non-CCG)

Why do you think your other CCG's (Vampire, BattleTech, C-23?) didn't catch on like Magic did?

Do you think WOTC's patent on CCG mechanics stifled development of CCG's by other companies?

Do you view WOTC as having a monopoly on CCG's?

On a slightly related note, should the DCI become a separate entity from WOTC so it can include members of the "community" when determining bannings/restrictions? In other words, accept as employees people who are NOT WOTC?

Hmm... that's all for now. :)

U

Ura

Hmm, good stuff so far, but I have 2 that I'd like to add to the pile.

1) Being the father of this game we love what is your opinion of all the shouts of cheating, bad sportsmanship, ect.. in DCI events and the pro tour and what do you think should be done to fix the "problem" players?

2) Many retailers are having problems competeing with online dealers due to the cost of boxes these days,($100 in Canada). Although I understand that WotC frowns somewhat on dealers without an actual shop, do you think there should be some kind of special incentive or promotion to help game stores compete with the online retailers, say special discounts or something along those lines?

Cheers and good luck Orgg! :)

M

Multani

Tag Guard

1.) R&D is considering a new card design. What is your opinion on this? Do you support it? What effect do you think this will have on players? Please explain your answers.

2.) People have commented that since Tempest, the quality of Magic sets has fallen. What is your opinion?

R

Riva Iron-Grip

hey man i love the orgg for posting this. this is a very demanding subject. now i know at times i can be a prick or a little too not serious. but right now i am. i would ask Richard:
Where did you come up with the idea for magic?
Why did you come up with magic?
Do YOU play magic?
How did you work out all the bugs?And if you did, how long did it take you?

Z

Zadok001

No, no, no. The question is:

"WILL you work out all the bugs?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Deathknight: I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the first question "Where did you come up with the idea for Magic". Because in several interviews and histories written, Mr. Adkinson gave him the "parameters" of the game (based on fantasy so they could use that kind of art, have to be portable so people could play it at conventions (I don't know if a card game was inferred or explicitly said off the top of my head) and Dr. Garfield said a lot of the basic play mechanics was based on Cosmic Encounter. So what more are you looking for?

The above also kind of answers your question #2 "Why did you come up with Magic" so what else are you looking for there?

As for the bugs (Zadok too), I think there will ALWAYS be "bugs" and thus errata to fix them. In other words, I don't think all the bugs have been worked out and as Magic grows, I don't think they will. I'd LIKE them to be, but...

Of course, that last is my opinion. Dr. Garfield might have another :)

Y

yawnmoth

in what ways do you think pokemon has affected magic: the gathering?

what do you think of hasboro's policies towards magic: the gathering?

is it true that you are 'codesigning' invasion?

what expectations do you have for magic: the gathering?

will you ever release a scan of the card propose (mentioned once in some duelist article)?

and, can i have a black lotus? (j/k)

M

MaSSaCrE13

This is to richard garfield! some questions...

Do u no anything bout invasion,plainshift or acoplypse?
(if he does ask him if its any good and is it better then MMB cuz it really stunk and if n say if u can be nice enough can u give us like a short spolier or even all of it)

Ask him if there's going to be any meranries or rebels

Can u get me a singed masticore ill even send it! by richard garfield please or like any other super goooooood rare please email me bout dat ok thanx

brainz3d@hotmail.com email me a.s.a.p

I

Istanbul

You know, the very BEST way I can think of to make sure that Richard Garfield doesn't do any interviews is to pester him with requests of signing and free cards.

That's not what this is about.

However, I would like to ask:
A lot of players are dissatisfied with the slower environment that Masques Block has nurtured. Do you hope for Magic to continue on that vein, or do you want it to speed up again?
What is your feeling towards combo decks (the kind that win on turn 3-4 and don't care what's going on over on the opponent's side of the board), and what's your favorite card to stop them?

M

Merfolk

Feel free to rephrase this if you decide to use it.

Each member in my play group has one or two decks based on a particular creature type (Merfolk, Slivers, Elves, Chimeras Thrulls, etc.), It is our general opinion that for the most part these themes are neglected. Either the themes are suported every once and a while (there were only 2 merfolk in Urza's Block), or are no longer included in new sets at all.

What is your opinion of this type of deck theme and the support they recieve?

and

While I'm sure Merfolk and Goblins will contunuously return to Magic, will Rebels and Mercenaries return, or go the way of Slivers and Chimeras?

Thank you,
Merfolk

R

Riva Iron-Grip

i think that mercs and rebels will be in most of the upcoming sets. mostly because they have been in the last what like 4. and not only that, but i have heard that slivers are going to be in invasion. it might just be a rumor, but if it's not, that is some very cool shit.