In for the long haul or not.

M

mythosx

There was a set of reprints a few years back...

However, the corners were sharp instead of rounded and thus the cards were not tournament legal. The reprints were released for novelty and not for genuine use. I did end up playing against a d**che bag who was using them in sleeves.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The collectors edition cards? What a silly idea. For some reason, they used to actually be worth money, too. That's probably not true anymore. Not too many people are interested in stupid fake versions of old cards, even if they're "official" fakes.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
They make beautiful proxies. A lot of vintage tournaments allow proxies.

Sure, it's not the real thing, but playing with proxies allow you to play games you wouldn't play otherwise. I'm not opposed to it. If you're pretending to play real cards you are a douchebag though.

Until two years ago Wizards printed these gold bordered world champions decks. I collected these. Apparently they're even worth some money, the ones I'm missing go for over $100... But I've played people that altered the gold borders so they could preted they played real cards. Pathetic.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Shabbaman;273855 said:
They make beautiful proxies. A lot of vintage tournaments allow proxies.
Sure. I'd use a collector's edition Mox Sapphire as a proxy for the real thing in a proxy tournament rather than just a Plains with "Mox Sapphire" written on it if given the choice. It's cooler. But I remember seeing a collector's edition Mox Sapphire selling for $40. I wasn't even willing to pay $40 for a real card, let alone a proxy.

Until two years ago Wizards printed these gold bordered world champions decks. I collected these. Apparently they're even worth some money, the ones I'm missing go for over $100... But I've played people that altered the gold borders so they could preted they played real cards. Pathetic.
I like these ones a bit more because they're the actual decks. There's a nostalgia factor here if you're playing with the whole deck. "Hey look, I'm using the deck that was in the world championships in 2000!" I haven't seen anyone actually play with one of these decks in a long time, but I would find it cool. Playing with just one of the gold-bordered cards in a deck would be pretty lame. "I couldn't find a real Winter Orb, so I'm using this one." I mean, come on. I guess it's still a better proxy than a basic land, but it takes away the whole point of the world championship edition decks in the first place. And ruining the commemorative cards by coloring over the borders is just stupid.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
I fully agree.

BTW, I have full sets for 2001 through 2004, and the Finkel deck from 2000. That's 17 decks. Within the same "set" you can easily play each other.

I'd love to have the missing decks. The other decks from 2000 seem pretty rare. Apparently these decks are boxed so that there are twice as many Finkel decks as other decks, so the deck I'd really like to have (Labarre's Pattern Rector!) is the rarest. Those from '97 are getting pricey, and the '96 Pro Tour box is, well, expensive.

My favorite is Peer Kröger's deck of 2003, burning wish reanimator. I played that deck myself in some tournaments. Somehow I got always paired against people with maindeck withered wretches...

T

train

update - still in it for the long hall - but returning from a recent work-related hiatus...

and now the wife is playing!!!!!...

which means that she'd be with me at some tourneys, games, etc...

(5 minutes of stunned silence...)

wow...

guess I didn't think that one through...

jk!!!

Killer Joe

If I had to actually put a date on my starting of playing magic I'd say it was September 1996. So I'm still playing and it's December 2009. That's 13 years of playing this stupid game!

Though I haven't done it in a long time I'd have to say DRAFTING is my favorite way to play.

N

Nightstalkers

Unfortunately due to lac of interest in the Nightstalkers... I am the last member... Unless you count the Counter-Strike community... They heard about my jump to DSL and are clamoring for my ancient and fabled CS-Fu.

Anywho... The local card shop died due to the economic downturn. Other than that I've definitely ditched Magic. I still play... I just choose not to like anything past Timespiral.

D

DarthFerret

Well, yes I am back, both to the boards and to playing Magic again. Honestly, since I have been out of work fr over 6 months, was really considering selling off my entire Magic card stock. However, with the introduction of Magic to the Xbox (I think it is downloadable only) I resumed my interest in the game and have started playing around with decks. I have not purchased (or indeed looked at) any expansions since Time Spiral, so really have no clue what is going on with Magic since then. So I suppose I am in it for the long haul, even though I will probably not buy cards for a long time (if ever).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's okay, I haven't bought cards in a long time either, just stick with Apprentice and Suitcase for new sets.