I'm going to Hell for this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

theorgg

What happened at Krispy Kream?

Also, Nodnarb: Please don't post that kind of material. This board has a few younger members that come around somtimes-- and that's against that thing that some people glance at and click "O.K." when signing up.

No offense ment, though. Thanks!

C

Chaos Turtle

A FAMILY sits around a Christmas Tree, enjoying a plate of delicious Krisy Kreme doughnuts.

ANNOUNCER:

Families like yours have been enjoying delicious freshly-made Krispy Kreme doughnuts for more than 65 years. Now there is even more reason to serve Krispy Kreme doughnuts,

Since the Second Coming of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ at one of our stores in Clearwater, Florida, Krispy Kreme doughnuts have had the very special quality of granting salvation to those who eat them.

So celebrate the Birth of Christ this Christmas with delightfully holy Krispy Kreme doughnuts, and guarantee eternal life for you and your loved ones.

Available in glazed, chocolate, and jelly-filled.

KID (holding glazed doughnut):

MMMMM! The body of Christ is YUMMY!

FADE to Krispy Kreme holiday logo card.

ANNOUNCER:

Krispy Kreme, bringing you delicious doughnuts since 1937, and Salvation in the new Millenium.

T

train

"Available at your local Krispy Kreme for Dine-In, Carry-out, or Drive-thru!...";)

T

train

Abstract:
"This pagan group was not kicked out of Krispy Kreme," said Mark Gauthier, president of a local Krispy Kreme franchise that includes the store on Gulf-to-Bay Boulevard. "We don't discriminate against any group. We just asked them to remove their witch models from our shops."

[Myles Weissleder] said Meetup is looking into the witches' claims. Nineteen people had signed up to go to the Meetup, but almost double that number showed up. The 37-person gathering is among the largest witches meetings in the country. Only Port Arthur, Texas, has had a larger gathering, 40. New York City, on the other hand, drew eight witches recently.

Meetup groups must vote on one of three locations for their meetings. The witches had voted for the Krispy Kreme during each of the past four months, but Krispy Kreme will not be one of the options next month, Weissleder said.

Full Text:
Copyright Times Publishing Co. Dec 5, 2002

It was the witches' fourth meeting in as many months at the Krispy Kreme in Clearwater. They lined up for coffee and doughnuts, then pulled eight tables together and sat around them.

Soon, 37 of them had gathered. One set out an 8-inch-high wicker witch on a broom.

Everyone agrees on the story up to that point. What happened next is disputed.

The witches say the Krispy Kreme manager asked them to remove the wicker witch and threw them out.

A Krispy Kreme spokesman says the manager asked the group to remove the wicker witch only after another customer complained.

"This pagan group was not kicked out of Krispy Kreme," said Mark Gauthier, president of a local Krispy Kreme franchise that includes the store on Gulf-to-Bay Boulevard. "We don't discriminate against any group. We just asked them to remove their witch models from our shops."

The witches had gathered because of a Web site called Meetup (www.meetup.com), which encourages people with common interests to get out of chat rooms and into coffee shops for face-to-face meetings around the country. Meetup.com, founded in June, hopes to make money by collecting fees from the shops where the meetings take place. The site is trying to build interest in the concept and has not started collecting fees in this area.

Witches meetings have become one of the site's most popular events, particularly in Pinellas County. Members have many beliefs and religious practices. Some are leaders of covens and wear black robes during their rituals; some describe themselves as Pagans but not witches. One witch described their meetings as "a Pagan parent night out" where they don't have to watch what they say.

The witches at Krispy Kreme say they were talking about various things, including one member's efforts to raise money for a Pagan community center in Pinellas County.

Then a store manager came over.

Rick Poppe, 35, who calls himself an occultist, said the manager asked to speak to whomever was in charge. Then she waved dismissively at the wicker witch and said, "That has to go."

Robert L. Webb II, who had signed up as a host of the event, walked outside with the manager. He said she asked him what kind of group it was. He told her it was a gathering sponsored by Meetup.com out of New York and that her corporate office had been notified of the meeting.

The manager told him meetings were not allowed at Krispy Kreme and asked him to end the gathering, Webb said. When he asked her why, Webb said, she told him it was because she had had a complaint from a customer about the wicker witch.

Webb, who says he is a witch, said he walked inside and told the group it had been asked to leave. From there, the group headed over to a Perkins restaurant nearby.

"I feel personally it was because we were Pagan," Webb said. "I feel it was because a lot of us are different, unusual."

Webb said he is considering filing a religious discrimination complaint with the Department of Justice. Poppe said he wants an apology from Krispy Kreme or he will file a complaint.

"I'm not a crusader," said Poppe, who works at a natural food store as a deli clerk. "I'm not one of those people who looks for a cause to fight for. But I was so offended. So many nice, hard- working people were thrown out just because they have different views."

One witch from Clearwater said she would prefer to let the tempest drop. Refering to the incident as the "Krispy Kreme Kaper," she sent an e-mail to many of the witches who were there, saying she thought the group should just move on.

"Sometimes everybody yells discrimination, and it's a war," said Norma Supel, a computer store administrator, who wrote the e-mail. "Okay, if the lady doesn't want you there, you can't tell her 'Witches are okay people' and change her mind. If she has a set attitude, a set opinion toward us, it's her opinion, her right. It's up to Meetup to ensure that it's okay for us to be there."

Myles Weissleder, a spokesman for Meetup, said Krispy Kreme was notified the group would be there.

"As far as I know, it wasn't a problem," he said. "I don't know if that particular manager was aware or if there was a miscommunication."

Gauthier, of Krispy Kreme, said the group was not kicked out and that the Pagans are not telling the truth.

"We want every group in America to eat in our stores," he said. "No one was kicked out of our stores. We don't discriminate. I don't understand what the controversy is about."

Weissleder said Meetup is looking into the witches' claims. Nineteen people had signed up to go to the Meetup, but almost double that number showed up. The 37-person gathering is among the largest witches meetings in the country. Only Port Arthur, Texas, has had a larger gathering, 40. New York City, on the other hand, drew eight witches recently.

Meetup groups must vote on one of three locations for their meetings. The witches had voted for the Krispy Kreme during each of the past four months, but Krispy Kreme will not be one of the options next month, Weissleder said.

"I can't infer what transpired, but I think the manager just got restless when (she) saw 37 people with a witch mascot on the table, and that's a shame," Weissleder said. "If it had been the Girl Scouts or a baseball team, I don't think they would have been kicked out."

Ferret Were you part of this???...:p

Ferret

Staff member
No, I wasn't there. I just found the same article that you quoted there. I know a few people that were probably there, but I haven't gotten a chance to talk to them yet...

...but, it's also not the first time I've seen an article talking about this kind of thing. I've also seen stories about children being taken given to abusive fathers just because the mother just happens to be a witch...

...there have also been instances of murder because of this - but, I guess this is something that we all know about this...

-Ferret

"...NICE research, Train..."

S

Svenmonkey

...but, it's also not the first time I've seen an article talking about this kind of thing. I've also seen stories about children being taken given to abusive fathers just because the mother just happens to be a witch...
Woah, woah... The mother should never have been able to see the child, being a witch and all! That evil witch probably put her evil ideas into the childs mind! And the only way to remedy that would be to take the child away from the evil witch and put him or her into a good, Christian household where he can become reunited with the almighty God!!!

Just to let you know, it actually hurt my brain to post that.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Ferret
True, the term "Wicca" has only been around for a few years, but I do not practice 'wicca'. I am a Witch.
Not a warlock? Or did someone outside the Wicca faith coin that?

T

train

it actually hurt my brain to post that
hurt your Brain???...:p

"...NICE research, Train..."
Thanks!... I try...

The mother should never have been able to see the child, being a witch and all! That evil witch probably put her evil ideas into the childs mind! And the only way to remedy that would be to take the child away from the evil witch and put him or her into a good, Christian household where he can become reunited with the almighty God!!!
Let me tell you - those neighborhood priests are a much better influence... :mad:
*A stereo stands in thechurch where the organ once was... bow chicka bow bow...*

The best rearing for a child comes from the parent with the best grip on reality... in a religious battle, in court, it would be the Wiccan(Hope I said that right Ferret), as opposed ot the christian, parent...

Now when family practices are taken into account and financial status - its a different ballgame...
;)

Ferret

Staff member
Svenmonkey : Cute. Very cute. :)

Spidey : No, definitely, not a Warlock - it was a term created by the Roman Catholic Church. I forget its origins...

Train : that sounds about right. Take a look at many "progressive" churches. They use fancy words, music, and light shows - with the same old rhetoric - to bring in the younger "believers".

-Ferret

"...just like the tobacco industry..."

T

train

Yeah!!!...

Some of those churches even have Camels running around wearing purple suits and sunglasses with a Fizzle hanging out of their mouth!!!...

I think it was something to title of:

"TCoJLitDWWaSBEwCTwLaSftCwaStB"

The Church of Jesus Lost in the Desert Without Water and Sand Blowing Everywhere while Constantly Toying with Lucifer and Searching for that Camel with a Smoke to Borrow.......:p

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

If the Christian parent knows exactly how to interpret the Good Book, rather than treating parables as literal and throwing Christ's concept of love out the window, he should win.

Ferret

Staff member
I honestly think that religion should not be a factor in determining custody. The last time I looked, people in America (sorry, I'm not sure how things are in Canada) are free to believe any way they want and no one is allowed to be discriminated based on it.

-Ferret

"...America: Founded on the basis of religious freedom - by slaveholders and biggots..."

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

My bad, I thought you were talking about which parent would bring about a better upbringing in the child. Custody battles should be discrimination free.

Ferret

Staff member
The difference between Cult and Religion can be settled by two simple words: Tax Exempt.

-Ferret

"...for the record, Witchcraft has been a recognized religion for a few decades..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Are there "legitimate" cults or is the perception of them all is that they "brainwash" their members into isolating and following the "leader"?

T

theorgg

Will we now know you as Revernd Train from now on?

I'm on to them. I'm not paying $30, as I don't need to be a Reverend...

But Reverend Train... that seems to have a ring to it...

HAIL BOB! 13,013

Status
Not open for further replies.