Home Again League

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I am the guy who does the db for Suitcase, so if it's generating a lot of land, I can try to look into it to see if there's anything I can do to correct it.

B

BigBlue

Oh, you DA MAN!

I was going to look at the DB to see if I could see where the "sheets" were... Speaking of which... wasn't there a picture of the sheets in an old Duelist? Which could explain which cards were duplicated?

edit - (Which is relevent to your DB coding possibly)

One bug with Apprentice... They treat Alpha & Beta as the same - but Alpha didn't have CoP: Black... So, consequently their list doesn't include CoP: Black. One way to correct this is to exchange the Mountains you get for CoP: Black.

I enhanced my spreadsheet a bit more - it now links to the Beta version of the card at Gatherer - so they look correct.

T

train

I got so much land because I went for starters... should I re-do it as packs?...

think it makes a big difference?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I started doing the db (taking over from the previous guy) at around BOK expansion, I kinda just followed the "coding convention". The data that tells Suitcase the rarities is in the Data folder, in either the Suitcase.cfg for v7 or editions.dat for v8. The Suitcase.cfg actually is better documented to know what the columns stand for. So I'll look at the numbers and see what's going on.

If more recent expansions, like 9th or Ravnica (the first expansion in a block) generate a booster okay, then the Beta numbers probably just have to match those.

B

BigBlue

Train - did you use Apprentice or Suitcase?

If you did 12 starters - and ended up with 36 rares, 108 Uncommons and 396 commons - it doesn't really matter...

T

train

I used Apprentice - but it didn't show me rarities...

weren't rarities screwed up back then also?

B

BigBlue

Rarities aren't screwed up - but some have changed with time...

Most got rarer with time, but some (like Counterspell) got more common.

The only thing I recall reading was that there were some Mountains which showed up in boosters because they had one as a filler card to the sheet of commons since they were one common short.

Also, CoP: Black wasn't in Alpha, but it made it into Beta. I thought one of the Dual Lands wasn't in either, but Gatherer shows all 10, and so does Apprentice.

Oh, and I have a Deck ready - if anyone else is ready...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
There were several cards that weren't in Alpha like CoP: Black - like Volcanic Island, I believe. You can probably go to Crystalkeep and compare the two sets. It's strange that Gatherer would show it...

I thought the Mountain was used in Arabian Nights, not Beta though.

If I'm generating a booster box via boosters, how many boosters again? 44? 45?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I checked Gatherer and if you see Volcanic Island, only Revised, Beta and Unlimited is listed under Printings.

And in my Apprentice, 3E and 2E is listed as its Sets...

So I'm not sure what you're seeing, BB...

T

train

I thought it was still 36 boosters... 45 was with the smaller sets - or is that what you were asking?...

I'll have a deck later today BB, and we can most likely start tomorrow...

B

BigBlue

I DL'd the most current version of Apprentice, it lists 1E as Alpha & Beta. 2E as UNL.

Now that you mention the Mtn in AN, I think Yoiu're right...

So, I don't know why they're showing up in Beta Boosters... But, I think it works well to replace them with CoP: Black.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Regarding trading - should we try to play "out of the box" first? Or go ahead and trade before playing our first games?

B

BigBlue

I don't care one way or the other... I didn't know we were waiting...

I'm ready to play if anyone else is. Train thought he'd be ready today too. I can play a couple games at once if someone else is ready.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I just thought it'd be nice to play "out of the box" first, without any trading, to see how our decks were... :)

B

BigBlue

Alright, not trading yet... But, please sticky the trade thread for later... :)

Train's box was screwed up, so he's making a new one. (He did starters instead of boosters and it was goofy distribution...

Anyone else ready? Or want a box generated? I have a box already made up - pretty decent stuff. Just shoot me your email address so I can send it, unless you can't use an Excel file in which case I will just PM you in plain text.

D

DarthFerret

I have a box ready and a deck built, not sure how good it is, but will see...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I have my box, but I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow for a week so probably will be able to play someone when I get back...

B

BigBlue

DF, I'm ready whenever you are, you can choose whether to play or draw.

have a good vacation Spidey.