Home Again League

E

Ephraim

Definitely same set. Part off the draw of the format is having a large enough card pool that it is statistically predictable. If everybody is playing with the same set, then every card in the set is represented at least once and probably more than that. Forsythe's article mentioned that in their league, there are approximately 9 of each rare. That seems like an optimal metagame, IMO.

Workstation is also used for playing games online. Even if you're behind a firewall, you can call out to a MWS server and play remotely that way. Is that what's preventing you from playing online, Spiderman or is there some other obstacle?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I've never played a game online using any of them.
I can't use it a work, so it would just be from home.
Not sure if I can play enough to make it worth it.
Hmmmmm.......

B

BigBlue

OK, so what set should we use? I vote for Alpha or Revised if we want to eliminate Power 9....

I also can't install any of those products at work. I'll just play via the forums... If someone wants to try to set up a game later, I'd try, but I can't commit to a whole lot.

And, who's for sure in? I will generate boxes at home and send them out.

Format will be as in the article, one box, trade in one thread. You can keep a post in it and edit it for What you have up for trade and what you're looking for.

The decks will be 60 card minimum decks, optional Ante (Ante cards may only be played in Ante games). Would you build a Sideboard? Or use rest of pool as a SB?

M

mythosx

Im in!

Where can I get magic workstation? Is it better than apprentice?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Would the P9 be okay in this format? I mean, no one's gonna have four of them.. or if they do, they'd have traded pretty hard to get it...

E

Ephraim

I was going to lobby for using 10th Edition, just like they're doing at WotC. I am firmly against using any sets before they developed a sense of balance. Anything after Ursa's Saga block (non-inclusive) would be okay, I reckon.

As far as playing for ante is concerned, I'm neither for nor against it. I probably wouldn't ever agree to play for ante, myself, but if two players agree to it, power to them.

MWS can be found at http://www.magicworkstation.com/ for those of you who wish to download it. Mythos, I haven't used Apprentice in quite a while, but I think that MWS has a very polished interface for playing games and it's no better or worse than Apprentice for sorting cards and building decks. It can generate booster boxes, so unless cheating is a concern, I think that each player can just generate their own.

D

DarthFerret

I would like to get a bit nostalgic with this and go back to when the game originally began, with Alpha. Yes, I know that there were problems with the set, and with balance, but if everyone is getting an equal amount of cards from the same set, this should not upset any balance. I also think that the P9 cards should be allowed as this will allow a few players who have never owned (or dreamed of owning) them to see what play would have been like had there been access to them.

E

EricBess

Personally, I agree with Ephraim about the power level, but I can see the draw for getting back to roots as well. I'm game either way, but if we go with older sets, we may need a method to ban problematic cards. Preferably something that doesn't disadvantage the people who worked to get those cards.

T

train

I'm game for Magic... so all the other little details I can let you all decide on... ante or no... prepare for the beats...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't care which set either, although if it turns out to be Alpha, I would like to see all of the cards used, at least at first, 'cause that's how it was designed for. But like EB says, there should be a procedure in place to look at "problem" cards, should they arise.

B

BigBlue

If we want to use say the Legacy banned list, then if you get a card on the list, that card can be redeemed for an equivalent rarity card from the same set. Does that seem fair?

It is a luck of the draw thing...

That was sort of why I thought an auction might be interesting and keep things somewhat in check, since if one player opened a box of killer boosters, everyone would have a chance at a few of them. And that opener would be rewarded with extra cards via the auction.

I don't care if people want to create their own boxes. I just offered if it was for the auction - or for if someone doesn't have the SW and wanted a box generated for them. It is just a game, and a game for naught but glory, so I doubt we'd see cheating.

E

EricBess

BigBlue said:
If we want to use say the Legacy banned list, then if you get a card on the list, that card can be redeemed for an equivalent rarity card from the same set. Does that seem fair?
I was thinking more along the lines of our own personal "ban" list, but with a similar redeption model. Since we are dealing with a closed set of cards, what becomes degenerate in our game may be different than what is degenerate if you simply have access to 4-ofs. If we are going to play with the old cards, then we should play with the old cards and not pre-ban anything until it is shown to be a problem in our card pool.

Yes, this is a bit unfair to the person to makes some significant trades to assemble the most powerful cards. My hope is that the threat of a card being banned will be enough that we never actually need to do so.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
So, let's say we start with Beta:
Each player opens a box of boosters?
Build decks and play?
Trade cards with other players?
Ban cards that are agreed to be a problem?
Then what? Add more cards to our collection? New sets like the Dark?
How long does it last?

I am all for starting with the older cards, since I don't have any and would like to give it a try.
The Banning thing seems ok, will just getting a majority be enough or should it be like 2/3 of the players?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I say start with Beta, build decks, and play everyone in the league. Then there can be a trading period and then a play period again.

Melkor

I agree that bannings should happen as something becomes a problem. If we just took the Legacy banned list it would defeat the purpose of playing with the old cards. Also a lot of the cards wouldn't be problems because of the limited card pool. My question is has anyone made a sample box or two? How many Power 9 cards are in the average box?

E

Ephraim

If we're already discussing the possibility of banning cards and we haven't even begun playing, then why don't we play with a set that we know is more likely not to contain broken cards. It doesn't have to be 10th edition, but how about Revised or Mirage?

T

train

If I had to go all out - I don't think any should be banned - we play what we play and we do our best at it...

Though I am not playing blue - when I see the island or blue-mana-producing land drop across from me - all that changes is strategy...

but the deck is still beatable...

Most important is the playing...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
OK, no banning, but how long does this go on?
Do other sets get added?
Are we creating virtual collections?