Harper's Island

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You're talking about Jimmy's boat explosion, right? I guess things moved too fast between finding Madison and the explosion (being spread out in episodes and weeks) that I forgot that.

I'm guessing they thought the propeller would chew up the body parts that got loose, but remember in the first episode when someone (Jimmy?) reached underneath the boat to get the weeds and algae? There was some suspense on whether he'd find the remains of the body there...

No, like you said, why even bring it back to the island, but if Henry was really interested in Abby, he should have pursued her before even getting engaged or even before getting together with Trish, since it seemed like he had this obsession with her for a long time. I was giving him the benefit of him already knowing Trish, but either way, having the wedding doesn't really make sense since they didn't explain why the island was so important.

I think Jimmy was more collateral in the end; Henry didn't expect him to live but since he did, he decided to make use of him and frame him since Shay and Madison escaped.

E

EricBess

I think you are right about Jimmy. Especially since Wakefield told Henry to "end it" right before he fired the shotgun. I was just trying to give the writers the benefit of the doubt. I think they put together a very fun, interesting, and compelling show, but it could have been a lot more thought through in the details and motiviations.

Personally, I don't watch "slasher" movies (Saw, Halloween, etc.) so I don't know if they have just as many things you are supposed to simply overlook or if they are better about making sure things make sense. TV is a different animal. On the one hand, you have a lot more time to set up the story, but because you have to present it in 1-hour chunks. Plus, the extra time might be a disadvantage because you don't want to give things away too soon...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, presenting this as a "serial" is a little different from a movie.

I think it was a good first attempt. Just a couple of areas of improvement.

T

train

Wife and I watched it... Enjoyed it thoroughly... We thought the girl should have been beaten for withholding so many important details..

I personally thought the creativeness for how the deaths/murders were carried out was good...

E

EricBess

train - we provide high-level, in-depth commentary and speculation around here. I just wanted to point out that by disappearing for so long, you and your wife really missed out on the play-by-plays. Don't let it happen again ;)

(seriously, though, it would have been nice to have more people chime in as it happened. Welcome back)

T

train

Yeah - I mentioned this thread to her when I saw it, and I think you guys may have earned a "brownie point" - but uh.... you need to share those brownies...