Harper's Island

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I thought I might have missed one or a couple. I was just going from my head...

Nah, maybe when the show is over, you can post it and I can look back :)

I posted that back in #5 - I thought Booth was killed by someone, not by the other groomsman :)

E

EricBess

Spiderman;284324 said:
I posted that back in #5 - I thought Booth was killed by someone, not by the other groomsman :)
Right. I thought it was you who said that. I personally didn't notice that, but you aren't the only one who did. Someone else on another forum said exactly the same thing.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, so last Saturday's show had the biggest body count so far (3). Everyone's starting to figure out someone's after them (with Chloe doing a checklist) and the show "conveniently" got rid of the extra guests by having them leave on the boat without the "main" people.

So JD isn't the killer and neither is Cole... who didn't see that Cole would be killed when he stepped outside his cabin? That was pretty obvious... apparently he served his purpose by delivering that diary-thing to the sheriff...

And it's all about Abby... of course :)

E

EricBess

So I guess they answered our question from before. They are finding more and more bodies and even the ones they haven't found they are "suspected" of being dead (though "I haven't heard from Lucy, I'm just sure she's dead also" was a bit much). Interesting that the guys didn't mention Booth, but since they think his death is unrelated, I guess it doesn't matter so much.

And yeah, 3 people dead, but only JD was on "the list". Cole would have stood out too much on the list and the deputy was never really important. Honestly, JD and Cole were sort of the same character in terms of their purpose on the show.

No real surprises this week, though. It seemed to be more of a transitional point than really much storyline. Do you know how many more episodes there are? I thought I saw somewhere that there were 13 or 14 episodes total, but I'm not certain.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, apparently there's 5 episodes left.

Last night again seemed more about advancing the storyline, which isn't a bad thing, but the kills seemed to be "afterthoughts". I mean, Beth was definitely not a major character so of course she bought it, but they didn't even really show hr death like those previously. Same with the stepmom, although with the blood just starting to come out when Shane found her, she must have just gotten stabbed...

So do you think Abby is Wakefield's daughter? I don't think so, but neither do I think the "sheriff" captured Madison and told her this was all a game. It was probably the killer just saying he was Abby's dad, "the sheriff". And I guess he nearly caught Abby in the tunnels...

So I think it's Abby's half-sibling who's the killer and doing all of these things as revenge for Wakefield's death. Although why the wedding party is involved, not sure yet... if the killer was just after Abby, getting the sheriff would have been enough. So perhaps there's a bigger game being played...

E

EricBess

Abby being Wakefield's daughter was part of the theory that I was referring to earlier. The fact that they brought it out as an open possibility with so many episodes left makes me question whether it really is the case. If it's true, then I would have expected it to come out in the last couple of episodes. I'm still thinking it might be true, but if it is, there must some even bigger "reveals" later. Hard to top that, but who knows.

I think that Abby having a half-sibling actually makes sense with the reveal being this early, but who? Assuming it is one of the "listed" characters (and I think it must be), then I can only think of 3 possibilities off the top of my head. The wedding planner, the old boyfriend, and the bartender friend. Yes, the bartender friend is one of the "listed" people and between you and me, I don't really remember seeing her ever, but according to IMDB, she's been in 7 of the 9 episodes...

As for the sheriff, I'm hard-pressed to believe that Madison is actually working with the killer, so I can't think why she would have lied about who took her and she knows who Abby's dad is. However, I do have a theory about that. If the killer is back and the sheriff suspects that either Wakefield is still alive or had an accomplice, then he really wants to catch that person. Maybe he suspects that Wakefield never was the killer, I don't know, but I think he's desperate to catch the guy this time.

He knows this is about Abby and thinks that if Abby leaves the island, the killings will stop and he will have missed his chance to catch the killer, so he "kidnapped" Madison by telling her they were playing a game and had her make the phone call.

If that's the case, then Madison was never truely in danger, but it makes Beth's death even more odd because it means that both the sheriff and the killer are using the tunnels.

BTW, it seems you missed what happened to the stepmom. Yes, there was the pool of blood, but then they panned around to the back of the chair and the pruning shears had been stabbed into the back of the chair. To me, it looked like they were only pushed in far enough to scratch her back, but we got the idea.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we haven't seen much of the wedding planner person unless it's that lady who locked up the inn- I thought she was just the innkeeper but maybe they're the same person. In that case, she could be a possibility since she said she didn't know about the tunnels and she would have been still in the inn at the end and could have stabbed the stepmom.

I don't think it's the old boyfriend (Jimmy). Just a gut feeling.

Could be the bartender friend but I didn't think she was in THAT many episodes :)

Madison may not have knowingly lied about the sheriff taking her; the guy could have never shown his face to her and just said he was the sheriff and she'd believe him.

I saw the shears in the back of the chair; that's what I meant about just getting stabbed. If the blood was just starting to spread, it should mean that the stabbing had just happened, with Shane either in the room looking outside or just before he came into the room (not sure if the scene had opened with him in the room with her or not).

E

EricBess

The lady with the curly hair that was actually there quite a bit in this last episode. That's the wedding planner. I think it is the person you thought was the innkeeper.

Oh, right. So what you are saying is that none of the people that went down to the celler could be the killer because they weren't back in time to do the stabbing. Points to the wedding planner as the person with the most opportunity.

Do we remember the last time we saw Beth with the group, though? Seems like no one really had time to kill her and get back without someone noticing unless there are 2 killers.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The only time I remember seeing Beth was in the beginning of the episode, when she and the groomsman came back and asked to be let in the inn. After that, I think everyone had split up into groups and was looking for Madison? but the only person that may have had a chance to kill her was the wedding planner/innkeeper. She just came in to say that everything was locked up except for the doors where they were and then wasn't seen again until the guys showed her the tunnels.

However, I think she may be too bug to crawl through the tunnels herself (those vent shafts where Beth was found), so I don't think she's the killer. I think she's a good candidate to go next though, within the next two episodes :)

E

EricBess

Well, they've certainly upped the body count the last couple of episodes. It's interesting that Wakefield shows up in person and creativity is gone.

They are really pushing the idea that Wakefield has a partner and that it is Jimmy is the obvious, but the question is whether or not this show can really throw twists or not. They are a lot of mysteries, but haven't really been too many twists, so it would be just like them to throw a big one at the very end that doesn't make any sense at all, like the groom being the other villian. He stopped Maggie from going after Wakefield, supposedly to protect her, but what if it was to protect Wakefield, instead? I hope they don't do something like that, but who knows.

Personally, I think Jimmy is involved somehow, but the Sherrif was investigating him and didn't have a problem with him hanging out with Maggie anymore. Honestly, I'm not sure anyone really makes sense as an accomplice at this point, but it will be interesting to see how they wrap this up.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You mean Abby, right :)

Yeah, the 6/20 episode really got rid of the non-wedding party people (wedding planner/hotel owner, bartender girl, Shane, and the sheriff) and the 6/27 got rid of some deputy and the two lovebird groomspeople.

I would have thought Abby would have better aim since I thought she went hunting when she was on the island, but maybe it was only camping and/or panic/eagerness to get Wakefield.

Wakefield made some comment to the bridal girl "I almost died for a girl like you.". My wife thought maybe that indicated that he didn't do the initial 6 murders, but was framed or something and when he was shot by the sheriff, is now out for revenge and (obviously) killing people "for real" now.

I'm not sure how they're gonna wrap things up either this week... it seems they gotta cram alot in...

E

EricBess

Well, it is a 2-hour episode, so I'm sure they will manage.

The had the premier episode on again this week, so I watched that again. Interesting that certain things your mind just glosses over until you have a context for it. For example, Uncle Marty is the one who brought the money and the gun to the island that was later found on the boat. He had the gun with him when he was killed and had shot it a number of times trying to kill the person below the bridge. Was it loaded later when the groomsmen found it? Or were there just a couple of shots left? But regardless, someone put it back on the boat along with the bag of money. The real question, however, is why did he bring all of that in the first place? Seems like there was more than the obvious going on with Uncle Marty and perhaps it wasn't such a big coincidence that he was one of the first people killed...

As for the original killings, we know Wakefield is a killer now, but the only deaths we know for a fact he is responsible for are the Sherrif (but only because the Sherrif said so), Shane, Nikki, and Cal (Chloe jumped, but whatever)...and 3 of those he hacked with a blade, which isn't really consistent with the original MO of hanging everyone or random deaths. Almost makes you wonder if all of the hangings are 1 killer and all of the blades are Wakefield...but is the Sherrif an exception?

Oh, I did want to point out that Cal did indeed die within minutes of proposing to Chloe. Big surprise there...I guess them dying together should have been predictable also. Guess the "one-by-one" threw me.

I was actually a bit surprised by how early in the episode Shane and Nikki both died. Makes me wonder how many will actually survive, but at this point, it feels like certain people will survive. Out of the people left, it really only feels like the two groomsmen are still expendible.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Uncle Marty was also hacked in half, so he could have been a victim of Wakefield's...

Madison's mom (the sister of the bride) is also expendable, I think.

E

EricBess

There are 8 people left.

The Groom
The Bride
Abby
Sully
Danny
Shea (the sister - Madison's mom)
Madison
Jimmy

And of course, Wakefield, but I'm just talking the wedding party. I don't know why, but I don't really think Shea is expendible for the same reason I don't think Madison is. You don't kill off an 8-year-old kid (not sure the actual age, so I'm guessing here, but she's between 8 and 10) and I don't think you kill off both of the kid's parents, particularly not the more likable of the parents. Her father was expendible because he was cheating and wasn't a very good guy in general, but the mom is a very simpathetic character. Sure, Madison could be raised by her aunt, but at this point, the wedding has been postponed. They will get back together, but "instant family" just doesn't feel right to me.

You may be right, though. She is one that I would be least surprised by of the 6, but with only the finale left, I think it would seem a bit odd. Plus, she's always been more maternal than aggressive and with only the last episode left, I would expect any remaining deaths to be failed attepts to attack Wakefield more than Wakefield himself attacking.

To be honest, at this point, I would only be a little surprised if no one else died. Are we expecting another twist do you think? Something is going on with Jimmy, but just how devious is it?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think someone else is going to die at the least, but not sure if it will be a "battle royale" as the finale or just perhaps Abby and maybe the groom and bride facing off against Wakefield. Perhaps Jimmy was helping in the beginning but turns against Wakefield to save Abby in the end. Beats me...

Funny thing is that we watched the 6/20 episode when we got back and even though it was about 11 PM when it ended, my wife said we had to watch the 6/27 episode to see what happened next... we couldn't wait until the next night :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it was the groom after all... kinda bummer, the way it all turned out. I guess I was slightly let down with the ending.

For instance, the reason why he joined up with Wakefield? Because he wasn't told he was adopted and was lied to all of his life and his mother "threw him away" (which clearly wasn't true since he was brought back to the island every summer). I felt there wasn't any background behind it in the previous episodes to support this "anger" and whatnot.

I felt there should have been more an "epic" fight for Wakefield's death and more one with Henry's death with Jimmy. As it were, Wakefield was just stabbed by surprise and Henry and Jimmy fell off the cliff together, with apparently Jimmy landing the worst, and Abby ending up stabbing Henry.

And where were they when the FBI did their sweep of the island? I mean, I guess they either hid in the tunnels or in the forest, but still...

I liked how they said to Shay and Madison that they and "a few locals" were the only survivors. How few? :)

Poor Danny went out with a bang - like Wakefield said, he didn't embarrass himself. But you know pretty much if you're fighting Wakefield, you're going down...

So what'd you think?

E

EricBess

I first wondered about the groom with JD died. When Abby found JD's body and then the groom showed up with blood on him. We were supposed to believe he had found JD first or something, but then why didn't he stay there comforting him. There were enough leaps of logic in this show, however, that you couldn't be sure what they intended. So...that was a clue, but all of their red herrings that were equally implausible weren't...

I agree with you about his motivation. If he were disturbed, I think it does make sense that he would turn on his father and try to keep Abby all to himself, but if he had these impulses growing up as he said, where are the dead cats? People would have noticed violent tendencies.

I didn't mind the final fight, but I was expecting Wakefield to run off alive and then come back again later.

As for the locals, a bunch of people had already been evacuated. I don't know what the population of the island was supposed to be, but I was under the impression that the wedding party were the only ones left on the island. They would have recognized Henry, Jimmy, and Abby, so they weren't the ones they were talking about.

I thought it was very odd when the officer showed the pictures of just the last few people killed. How would they know that those were the only ones Shea didn't already know about. Obviously, it was just for the sake of the Abby, Jimmy, and Henry pictures, but it felt awfully convenient, particularly considering they weren't just the people killed in the church.

Overall, I thought it was okay. I didn't mind the ending and it being Henry so much. Henry's motivation to use the wedding as an reason to get Abby back to the island actually made sense for him, but left Wakefield's motivation way out in the lurch. We are to believe that he went into hiding for 8 years and did virtually nothing and then set up this huge sceme to kill Abby instead of just hunting her down in Seattle? Come to think of it, Henry didn't seem to want to kill in the end anyway, why didn't he just kidnap her?

I guess I wasn't too disappointed because I wasn't expecting anything and I actually got more than I thought.

Did they leave any loose ends? Having Wakefield roaming free to do what he want made it easy to not worry about where the killer was, but what else?

I want to know...if Uncle Marty brought the money to invest in the groomsman, why did he bring a gun?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the evacuation was presumably when the wedding participants were supposed to leave, but there was that holdup and the boat explosion so the wedding party was left stranded. However, I don't remember the locals being evacuated at the same time - why would the bar girl and the wedding planner stay?

See, if Henry wanted Abby, why didn't he just pursue her off the island and in the preceding years? Break it off with Trish and go after Abby... if he had and was rebuffed, that would make sense, but again, that wasn't explained or shown either (from what I remember).

Apparently Wakefield was "grooming" Henry as a killer and helping him get all that practice (the Seattle murders that the sheriff was keeping tabs on), but yeah, why not him and Henry hunt down Abby off the island...

Not sure about Uncle Marty's gun... I can't remember if it was said what kind of business he was in, but maybe he just always carried a gun 'cause that was the kind of guy he was :) He died in the first episode, so not much was said....

Who tied the cousin underneath the boat? Henry or Wakefield?

E

EricBess

Hmmm..I'm not sure. I remember that when they were evacuating, at one point, they commented on how they boats had left already, so the evacuation happened without them. There were other people there for the wedding that simply didn't matter, so maybe it was them, but something gave me the impression that locals were being evacuated also. I might have just jumped to that conclusion though - that episode was some time ago.

The boat explosion was later. They said that even though the evacuation had happened, there was still a boat for those of them that were left. Honestly, I don't know why some people stayed. The wedding planner might have still been with the group (just off-camera), but Nikki should definitely have already gone.

Henry made a point of telling people (at least twice that I recall) who he had killed, so my guess is that Wakefilled killed the cousin, but yeah, a lot of that was never really clear. For that matter, the cousin died at the docks, not on the island, so if this whole big elaborate plot was to kill everyone, why take the chance that body parts would be found on the mainland?

As for Trish, I got the impression by the end that it wouldn't have even been a case of needing to "break it off" since the whole wedding was just a ruse to get Abby back to the island in the first place.

But yeah, the biggest unanswered question in all of this was why bother with the island? They wanted so bad to get Abby back to the island, but there was never any reason why the location itself was significant. Seattle should have been just as good. Unless framing Jimmy was an important part of the plan from the beginning and somehow added to their revenge???