Harper's Island

E

EricBess

I've been sort of watching. Mostly out of curiousity. Honestly, it's not very well done, IMO. An intriguing concept, but I'm afraid I'm not the only one that doesn't think it's done very well, they just moved it to Saturday night, which is a time slot reserved for things they have to show, but don't care about anymore.

E

EricBess

Is was "tomorrow", Saturday.

Interestingly enough, there is a TV listing site that has a list of shows that are "on the bubble" to be cancelled or renewed and Harper's Island was among them. Obviously, this is a one-shot show, but I guess they are considering it a series of somesort. Not that show specifically, but shows like it.

I wouldn't mind seeing more shows like this, but I would hope they were better done in the future. And not just murder after murder, but get creative in how people end up leaving the show. Half of the effort in Harper's Island is trying to figure out ways to make it so nobody questions why someone is missing. They've explained a few of them, but there are a few disappearances that just seem to be "out of sight, out of mind" like the girl who was burned in the pit.

They did explain away the uncle and no one ever saw the cousin in the first episode, so that was fine.

The second episode was the pastor who was supposed to help them with the treasure hunt, so someone should have noticed him missing, but other than that, wouldn't have played in much.

Also, the hanging, which is public knowledge, so no big deal, and the girl in the pit, which I've already mentioned.

Episode three was the ex-boyfriend and he was leaving anyway, so that was fine. Last night was the guy in the woods. The one groomsman was there and it wasn't a case of even murder, but an accident. However, he can't tell anyone about it without explaining what happened to the money, so he's trying to cover it up and they may or may not have him try to come up with a story later to explain why Booth isn't around anymore.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Finally caught up with this and 5/9's episode..

yeah, I was wondering the same thing about the pastor and the girl (Bridesmaid?). In 5/9, they finally started wondering about them both (more the pastor since the sheriff found his remains), but you'd think someone would be wondering about the girl more.

A question is what all that money on the boat is or who is for. The ex-boyfriend got a check, so it's not his payoff...

The flowergirl seems to have met "someone" who isn't inclined to kill her, but tell her people are going to die "one by one". Is it a real someone or a "spirit"?

I think Booth's death was done by the killer, maybe with a sniper shot or something. There was a big flash of light before the shot, so even though the guy thinks it was an accident, it was done by the killer taking advantage of the situation.

I guess the end of the 5/9 episode might wake up some people that something weird is going on... I wouldn't have expected the father of the bride to be killed so "early" though :)

E

EricBess

This week, they commented on her. Someone (I don't even remember who) saw the dog and asked "Didn't she leave", and was answered "Yeah, she left." That was a really lame attempt to explain her disappearance since she never told anyone (that I remember) that she was leaving, nor did she tell anyone goodbye. So if someone just disappears on the island, the assumption is that they just left. Very creative, right?

Yeah, the ex-boyfriend got a check. They haven't explained the money. Frankly, I would almost be surprised if they ever did. It is a device for why the one guy is trying to cover up for Booth's death, certainly. Do they need to explain why it was there in the first place (with a gun)?

I loved the comment from the brother when he told the flower girl that she was creepy.

I was reading an article that was saying how impressed they were that the show would have the courage to kill one of their 3 main characters (the bride, groom, and sherrif's daughter) when she was in the water, but then she got saved...

Honestly, I think anyone is fair game other than those 3 (at least until later, when the bride and groom may not be safe, either). I just keep looking for characters that have outlived their usefulness (like the ex-boyfriend) and figure they are going next. It seems, however, that if there is any reason to expect someone might be killed in a particular episode that they go out of their way to kill someone else instead.

After the groom told him brother to get lost, I figured he was a goner for sure because no one would miss him at this point. He said he had one more surprise, but made it sound like it had already been planted. I can't believe they waited until the last second (literally) of the episode to kill someone this week and yeah, I was a bit surprised by who because I thought they had a lot more to develop with him as a character.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it was a lame attempt :)

I keep looking for characters they suddenly introduce or very minor ones and expect them to get killed off. Like the stripper or the bartender or that wedding organizer... I think the three you mentioned are pretty much off-limits, at least until maybe the final episode. I think Abby will probably play a central role in finally getting the killer, so they have to keep her alive.

Those groomsmen are certainly candidates to be victims though :) They haven't really focused on the bridesmaids, except maybe that one girl (who's the girlfriend of the English guy) early on...

E

EricBess

There is a list of "official" characters. People like the bartender aren't considered to be important enough. You can see the official list or The unofficial photo gallary, complete with their current status (alive or dead) - dead listed first in reverse expiration order.

The wedding planner is on there, though. There is also some "biker chick" that I don't remember, but she might be one of the bride's maids. Thanks to booth and the bachellor party, we've seen far more of the groomsmen than the brides maids. I think Chloe (and Lucy, but only because she is dead already) is the only one that stands out and she's gotten a lot more face time because of her relationship with Cal (the geeky guy that shouldn't be her type).

Edit - That's funny. I didn't really read your second paragraph until I had finished posting (more in response to your first paragraph). Seems we were thinking the same thing about the brides maids. BTW - I prefer the photo gallery, but the list has the advantage of having everyone on the same page.

One more edit - I half suspect that Abby is involved in the killings. I haven't seen anything yet that convinces me that she couldn't be (her dad, for example, is too involved with the investigation to be much of a suspect). It's possible that she will play a role in the unmasking, but it would be the most cliche for her to be the perp and this show hasn't show enough creativity in the writing for me to rule out the cliche yet.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Man, look at you, going to "other sources". Too much research :)

I think it's too obvious that Abby's the killer, but like you said, the show doesn't really show a lot of creativity so it's possible.

Now, I want to know more about the guy with the attack dog and what looks to be a half-burned face...

E

EricBess

That's the only way I can keep track of who the characters are. Otherwise, they die off and I'm like, "who was that, anyway?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, a new show on Saturday.

So people are starting to wise up... Wasn't sure who was going to be killed, kept guessing - I thought it might be Wellington's widow or Richard's wife, not Richard himself...

I don't think that guy JD ran to is the killer; hopefully we'll see more of him...

I think a bridesgroom is going to get it next :)

E

EricBess

I keep looking for people who have "run their course", but I don't really try predicting. Half the time, they are trying to hint that someone is about to get offed, but they have yet to actually kill someone when they've done that. When someone dies, it usually happens very quickly and in a scene where you don't really expect it.

I'm not really sure about JD. This show is predictable in it's unpredictability, but now that people have started to find dead bodies, the rules may have changed a bit. I suspect that you are correct, but between JD, the guy he ran into, and the little girl, things are a bit off still for me. It looked like the girl was looking right out the window and saw what happened to her father, but didn't react. Honestly, at this point, it wouldn't surprise me if the whole ending of this show ends up being that little girl somehow channelling the previous killer and they use "supernatural" explainations for how she is able to handle all of the physical stuff.

But yeah, I think that the guy with the burnt face is just another red herring. BTW - I know that Shane is supposed to be locked in the jail, but does it strike you as odd that we haven't seen him for so long?

I think we've gotten to the point in this show where we are supposed to be familiar with most of the characters, but there are a few they have still shorted. For example, either the Wedding Planner is really the "Murder Planner" or she's being saved for a week when they want to keep developing the other characters. Personally, I think the later and she will be gone within the next couple of episodes. The geeky guy will last just long enough to propose and then one of them will be axed (probably him because she actually has a repore with others and his only connection to the show is her).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It looked like the girl was looking right out the window and saw what happened to her father, but didn't react.
Well, they showed the reason why pretty much right away - she was just looking at her reflection in the window and couldn't see outside (or that much).

True about Shane... but they also didn't have Abby's ex-boyfriend on either and he's free :) I don't think he's the killer though, but could be offed later.

The sheriff had a point about the chandelier being connected to the light switch so whoever set it up knew who would be under it and so wanted Wellington dead... and that could be the Wedding Planner (or someone who gained access to her stuff).

E

EricBess

I guess I missed that about the reflection.

Yeah, certainly not everyone is in every episode. Abby's ex-boyfriend featured heavily last week. Shane was pretty in-your-face early and we haven't seen him for what, three? four episodes now? We haven't seen much of the wedding planner, either, but she really hasn't been featured much at all yet anyway. Just bits here and there.

Personally, I'm starting to get really curious about whatever else is going here. The bag with money and a gun, for example. There was a phone call or something this episode hinting at this as well, but now I don't remember the details. :(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah. And who left those notes in Abby's room early on? And what did Madison mean when she said she "talked"(?) to someone about the killings?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think last Saturday's show (5/30) was more about advancing the plot, since there were several flashback of how Abby discovered her mom and her relationship with whats-his-name in the past. So if Wakefield came back for her mom, how did the other six get caught up in the rampage? Were they related to the deputies who beat him before?

Like I predicted, a bridesgroom got it next, but it was kinda an afterthought, I thought. From all of the other "imaginative" killings (cut in half, falling in a pit, tied to a boat), we thought he was going to get shoved into the furnace, but was merely sliced up instead. Boo....

And it looks like Madison will be what keeps everyone on the island. From the previews, the guy asks a good question: What *does* make her life worth more than everyone else's? Why should everyone stay? It poses a good question in this kind of hostage situation anywhere, really...

E

EricBess

Yeah, I was at least expecting to see a hand or something being thrown in. I'm not sure he would have fit through the opening whole...

As soon as the other two found out about the money, it was a pretty good bet as to who would die this week. His storyline had pretty much run it's course at that point.

Yes about Madison, but I think that the question is more rhetorical. After all, he says that if anyone leaves, he will kill her, so it's her definite demise vs. a possible demise of someone else. Yeah, we know that someone else will be offed, but if they can catch the guy, then no more deaths have to happen, right? So who would be heartless enough to simply leave the girl and run when you have a chance to save her? To be honest, I would have expected at least one more death before someone asked that question (since staying hasn't cost anyone else's life yet), but if that sentiment really is there, then why do they still keep splitting up and roaming around the island instead of staying in one tight little group?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure, it looked like the opening was wide enough for a body :)

I think that most of them haven't put together that it's a serial killer on the loose - that one person is responsible. Only a few, like the sheriff and maybe Abby, suspect it. But most just know that Mr. Wellington is dead. For instance:
  • No one knows the cousin is dead
  • Only JD, Abby, the sheriff, and the groom know that Uncle Marty is dead
  • No one knows the bridemaid is dead
  • Only the sheriff and one deputy know that pastor is dead
  • No one knows Madison's father is dead
  • No one knows the ex-boyfriend of the bride is dead
  • Only the remaining two groomsmen know Booth is dead
  • No one knows the other groomsman is dead

So that's why they keep splitting up.

E

EricBess

That's true. I thought the Sheriff told his daughter and the groom about the pastor, but I don't recall for sure. You did miss one. The girl who "hung herself". A few people know about that, but most think it was suicide. JD and Abby have both expressed doubts and the sheriff appears to also doubt that it was suicide, but hasn't actually said so. It's unclear how many other people know about her.

It will be interesting to see next week, however, in light of this because the comment of whether her life is more important than all of theirs implies that they know that people are getting picked off. If I recall correctly, it is one of the groomsmen that says it and he would currently only know of two deaths.

I read an interesting theory about Wakefield and who might be involved in the recent killings. I think it is likely enough to be considered a "spoiler" so I won't post it unless you are interested. It's not official, just someone's speculation, but it does tie a lot of things together and makes a lot of sense.

Question - was it someone here that thought they saw a different flash of light when Booth was killed? If so, I've had someone else say that also, so it may be likely that Booth was shot with a different gun than the one he was holding.