Guess the quote origin!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by sageridder
I don't have a clue, Henry David Thoreau ?
Close, but no. You're on the right track though...

I can't tell if that gives it away or not... :p

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
No. He's one of my favorites though...

Sageridder is the closest so far, since his guess and the actual answer are both big figures in the same movement: transcendentalism. (big hint there)

S

sageridder

Umm Train have you been derailed?:D It's your go.Bye the bye guys I will be gone from the 29th till the 3rd or 4th.Have just made plans for a drunkin camping trip with several friends from high school I had not had contact with for 20 years.Should prove to be fairly bizzare.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
train's been studying for school so he's been on the site sporadically... I'm sure he won't mind if someone else starts a new quote ;)

Have fun sageridder!

T

train

Well - since no quotes posted for me - I'll post... This school thing really is a drag...

"Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination. "

and a hint - it deals with science... ;)

:p

B

BigBlue

That sounds like something one of these two would say....

Isaac Asimov or Carl Sagan....

I'll go with Asimov....

E

EricBess

Sounds to me like a quote out of "The Outer Limits" or something like that.

T

train

I think that's everyone that is playing this game... (Gaea's was on and didn't post...)

so here's the answer...

Bertrand Russell

I guess I'll pass the torch to EricBess for the next quote...

B

BigBlue

And for those who've never heard of him before... (like me before yesterday)...

He's an interesting character. An English Mathematician/Philosopher/Author/Activist who is an interesting read... You can find lot's of his bio stuff online here and some of his writings linked from here.

I particularly like Russell's Paradox.

I realize that Math is not for everyone, and not everyone will understand this, but... it's fairly enlightening.

Significance of the paradox
The significance of Russell's paradox can be seen once it is realized that, using classical logic, all sentences follow from a contradiction. For example, assuming both P and ~P, any arbitrary proposition, Q, can be proved as follows: from P we obtain P v Q by the rule of Addition; then from P v Q and ~P we obtain Q by the rule of Disjunctive Syllogism. Because of this, and because set theory underlies all branches of mathematics, many people began to worry that, if set theory was inconsistent, no mathematical proof could be trusted completely.
That is pretty interesting stuff....

Another quote from him I love:

The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it.

or

A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

E

EricBess

Hmm...I really don't have time to come up with something for this. Okay...I'll do one, but this one is a "metaquote". It's a quote of a quote...sort of...And I don't have the exact quote in front of me, so if I'm a bit off, you'll have to forgive:

"'Anyone who says that something is as easy as taking candy from a baby...has obviously never tried taking candy from a baby' - R. Hood"

I'm guessing this one will be pretty easy, but we'll see.