Guess the quote origin!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Nope, but I think that would have been my first guess...

It does seem like something he would have said...

S

sageridder

Alright I'm gonna take one more stab at this.I'm 99% sure it's an author someone I've read, but a long time ago I'll guess Oscar Wilde.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
No one's gotten it so far. Another hint or have you had enough? ;)

HINT: Well, let's go crazy. Sageridder was close in that the author was Irish (like Oscar Wilde).

Also, he won a Nobel Prize in 1925 and died in 1950. Oh, and one last hint...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

He wrote Pygmalion!

G

Gaea'sSaproling

i beleive it was einstein death taxes blah blah blah

am i right?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Should I pass it on to whoever I said I would then, or does anyone else have any dead Irish guys?

Einstein was not Irish... *glares at Saproling*

B

BigBlue

I think he's talking about your sig....

Not a lot of fans of dead Irish guys I'd guess here....

I did google it and find it, but I wouldn't have had a clue otherwise.

Why don't you put another quote....

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Sure. The answer to that one was George Bernard Shaw.

Hmm, let's do another quote about quotes... :D

"Stay at home in your mind. Don't recite other people's opinions. I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."

Edit: actually, this one might be a bit too hard. So I'm also leaving a hint...

Hint: American dead guy this time. 1803-1882.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Nope. A good guess, um, again...

Remind me to never do any actual Twain quotes for this sort of thing...

B

BigBlue

Ulysses S Grant?

and that's only due to the date range... I have no idea...

you sir, have an extensive range of quotes.... Do you really keep those somewhere in your head, or do you look them up?

Edit: Nice quote by the way, if kind of an oxymoron...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
No, it wasn't Grant. I had thought that he was later than my guy, actually. But I looked it up, and even though he was born later, he died in 1885, which was pretty close to when my guy died. I hadn't realized that the author here had actually lived for so long...

Anyway, quotations about quotations amuse me (understandably so, I think). I did have them both in my head, since a year or so ago I had been searching for as many quotes on the subject of quotes as I could find, but I looked them up in a book to make sure I had them right before I posted them. And I did not necessarily memorize all the biographical info on these guys that I posted, I mean, I'm all about having some trivia available for special occasions, but I'm not a walking encyclopedia!

This one, I think is particularly cool, because its author is a very quoted man. Isn't that a fun contradiction?