green mana engine for thallids

Discussion in 'Single Card Strategies' started by Killerbob, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Killerbob Official CPA European Guy

:D nice name!
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Yes.
  3. train The Wildcard!!!...

but it also creates a triggered effect, if applicable, for coming into play and then going to the graveyard...
  4. Killerbob Official CPA European Guy

yes, but I believe I cant sac it before it goes to the graveyard. Something about "state based effect" or something like that...
  5. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Righty-ho.
  6. Troll Dr. Satan

Although they are expensive, I would suggest some BoP's. A cheaper alternative could be Skyshroud Elves (filters colorless into W or R without tapping)or Quirion Elves(choose a color when they CIP, t: make 1 mana of green or the chosen color). What about the lands that tap for green and can be sacced for another color (i think they're from Odysee.) Just a new guy's $0.02. :D
  7. WickedBoy6 Captain of the Atog Army

Well, here's the Saproling deck. It's not complete, nor too possible IRL, but I play a lot of apprentice, mind you. Here's how it looks:

1 Black Lotus
    1 Fork
    1 Mox Diamond
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Wheel of Fortune
    2 Artifact Mutation
    2 Nemata, Grove Guardian
    2 Verdant Force
    2 Verdeloth the Ancient
    3 Birds of Paradise
    3 Fires of Yavimaya
    3 Goblin Bombardment
    3 Parallel Evolution
    3 Spontaneous Generation
    4 Hull Breach
    4 Saproling Symbiosis
    4 Taiga
    4 Wooded Foothills
    6 Mountain
    8 Forest

I might've set the Mana curve too high, if it seems so, I'll take out some lands & replace them with Miraris for the Evolutions & Generations.
  8. train The Wildcard!!!...

*cries as he notices not one Mirari in the deck...*:(
  9. WickedBoy6 Captain of the Atog Army

Don't worry, Train, the mana contents was a bit rich, so I took out one Forest & Mountain & added 2 Miraris :D
  10. BigBlue Magic Jones

I've a friend who uses a thallid deck and usually comes out ok... he uses the fog thallid, and lots of fogs... plus you could try some lifegain to boot...

we play mostly 2-H giant, so he also has the advantage of a partner most of the time too, which skews our world a bit from yours.
  11. Killerbob Official CPA European Guy

well, I´m not too impressed...(sorry)
    You have 6 fatties, 4 of them being legends. Thats far too much.
    Parallel evolution? This card is only good, if you are winning anyway. Same about saproling symbiosis. 4 hull breach and 2 artifact mutation seems a little too much. But your metagame might justify it. Goblin bombardment is nice ( but a goblin card... :( ), but it will be better combined with the most powerful saproling card, fecundity. I believe fecundity should be in any saproling deck. People WILL kill your saprolings!
    Another thought -wouldnt a coat of arms usually be better, than doubbling your tokens?
  12. WickedBoy6 Captain of the Atog Army

I thought I had a pretty good deck, there. :(

I guess I could take out the Verdeloths, but I thought I couldn't play Fecundity. Tokens were removed from play when sacrificed or otherwised destroyed, not the graveyard, right?

As for killing the Saprolings, that's why I have the Bombardment, as a sort of fall-back if a swarm attack with Nemata doesn't work. That also explains the absence of Coat, though I could replace the lost Verdeloths with them.
  13. train The Wildcard!!!...

I'd say play it as is... just find a way to speed it up... maybe some harrows or draw advantage...
  14. Killerbob Official CPA European Guy

Tokens DO go to the graveyard, but they are removed from game immediately after.
  15. train The Wildcard!!!...

but all the tokens need to do is go to the graveyard... doesn't matte if they stay there unless you're trying to use a lhurgoyf...
  16. WickedBoy6 Captain of the Atog Army

So go with Fecundity? I'm confuzzled if Saproling Tokens would activate it. I was thinking of playing Collective Unconscious, but that might mill me if I'm not careful. (One game, I had 27 of the 1/1 beauties). Recycle?
  17. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

*A Foreboding prescense fills the room*

Hmm... Recycle... getting around the discard is hard but the tokens coming into play don't count towards the draw thing...

they are being braught into play. not played by you.

Duh factor: you cannot counter morph unless you have a thing that says so... Cannot use cruel edict to kill a creature in your opponents hand.

just isn't so.

*Oppressive darkness fills the sky as the walls shudder and fall outwards.*
  18. train The Wildcard!!!...

Wicked... how has the deck done?...:)
  19. WickedBoy6 Captain of the Atog Army

Damn well, I had about 19 or so Saprolings on turn 5 once with a Fires of Yavimaya in play.

I have 2 Miraris & 2 Coats in there but they have NEVER shown up in a game yet. I might just replace them with other Saproling-producing cards, 'cause I never seem to get them into play. :(
  20. train The Wildcard!!!...

replace the 2 miraris and 2 coats with some chains of acid then... or overruns... wither way - you'll be bound to see one, and be able to use it...