Good creatures again (this time with actual list)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Whenever I try to download a patch for Appr. it always freaks out and stuff. I usually just delete the whole program and download the latest from scratch... :(

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Tells me my soul belongs to Satan, crashes, tells me that there are errors of some sort, explodes, that sort of stuff...

G

Gizmo

Originally posted by Oversoul
And what is so great about Arc Slogger?
You mean apart from the fact it's fat, relatively cheap, kills creatures, and smashes opponents a big fat killing blow?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Oversoul
Tells me my soul belongs to Satan, crashes, tells me that there are errors of some sort, explodes, that sort of stuff...
Huh, I don't know where you're getting your patch, that doesn't happen to me... :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Gizmo
You mean apart from the fact it's fat, relatively cheap, kills creatures, and smashes opponents a big fat killing blow?
Eh, it is a 4/5 with an ability that can only be used as a final blow or in an emergency. It's not horrible by and means, but there are better investments of five mana, like Morphling or Memory Jar. Okay, those are extreme examples.

Still, I really don't like the card as it gives me hallucinations for some reason. Also it is only moderately good. I can see it being used in highlander or something. No one I know has played it though (except in block format, where I have seen it). And I know that they have it.

I could add it to the list, but there is no way that sucker would make the top 25 in red. Initiates of the Ebon Hand doesn't look like it stands much of a chance in black, for that matter. But Initiates has proven itself in casual games many times (I, at least, have been on both sides of the table from it numerous times) with cards like Drain Life and Crypt Rats...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oh, thanks for bumping this thread, Spidey. I need to stop procrastinating and cut these lists down...

G

Gizmo

Spidey - because I've not seen a post from him that shows much grasp of how the game works.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
What's with the flaming, Gizmo? I don't think you seriously believe the crap you are saying, so are you just really passionate about Arc Slogger or something?

G

Gizmo

Initiates Of The Ebon Hand.
1) Are Crap.
2) Were Crap Nine Years Ago.
3) Didnt Get Any Better In The Meantime.

Blood Pet, Cabal Trainee, Carnophage, Carrion Feeder, Festering Goblin, Insidious Bookworms, Nightscape Apprentice, Sewer Rats, Shadow Guildmage, Will O The Wisp, (Sarcomancy and Lab Rats if we're not getting technical) are all better, which makes Initiates Of The Ebon Hand the 14th best 1cc Black Creature and possibly even worse as there's a few more I could argue are better. Stop defending it. Just stop. It's a 1/1 Vanilla monster 99% of the time - it's Mons Goblin Raiders with better art... what, at the ABSOLUTE BEST it's +3 on your Drain Life, and if you're playing Drain Life in a non-mono deck then you deserve to lose.

One of the most common mistakes bad players make is adding bad cards (ie. Initiates Of The Ebon Hand) to their deck in order to make other bad cards they already have in their deck (ie Drain Life in a mutlicolored deck) work better. Just play two good cards, not two bad cards that are good together.

Arc Slogger.
1) Is Fat.
2) Produces Card Advantage.
3) Kills People Two Turns Faster Than It Should.

If you are good at Magic you recognise that removing cards from the top of your library is not relevant if the game ends before you mill yourself out. He swings board position in your favour you go from defending, to having a fat blocker, to next turn removing his blockers and being on the offensive. That's powerful that is. No, he's not Masticore... but then very very few creatures are as powerful as Masticore, because Masticore is arguably the strongest creature ever printed. The new Shaman guy is close to Arc Slogger in terms of power, and MIGHT be better in long games but in tournament magic were mana is scarce, wins are quick and brutal, and a library is immaterial... Arc Slogger is the nuts.

The End.

This was a party political broadcast funded by the Good Magic Players Party.

G

Gizmo

"Initiatives Of The Ebon Hand is good because of Drain life" is exactly the same argument as "Blanket Of Night is good because of Corrupt". Except that the Blanket deck is better because you gain more life off a Corrupt on a creature than you do with Drain Life on a creature, and Blanket is much less vulnerable than a 1/1 creature, and adds all your mana to the corrupt not just 3, and maximises the cost at 5B, not X1B.

Done. And. Dusted.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Due to the 2nd list thread being opened. Please try and keep the criticism constructive there, Gizmo...;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Gizmo
Spidey - because I've not seen a post from him that shows much grasp of how the game works.
That doesn't mean he sucks. The more relevant term might be "ignorant" or "uninformed".

Status
Not open for further replies.