Good creatures again (this time with actual list)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
At this point, I think that the top 25 for each category would suit my purposes. I've already trimmed black a bit thanks to DÛke, but I've still got quite a bit more cutting to do. Artifacts could use some more suggestions still.

If you have any suggestions that you think deserve to be in the top 25 of any category but are not already somewhere in the first post on this thread, could you please inform me?

Okay, who wants to help cut green down some?

M

mythosx

Where is mountain goat on this list??? I don't need your anti goat pro-dragon agendas!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Okay, okay, you've caught me. But you must understand how truly appealing the dragon platform is...

M

Mikeymike

I like the top 25 idea. For my green and artifact suggestions I will trim down the heavy qtys specifically to the high-quality guys.

Onwards to green (and artifact)...

M

Mikeymike

Green: (I'd consider doing a top 40 or 50 for green, b/c it easily has the best creatures in Magic in regards to overall abilities)

Granger Guildmage
Multani, Maro-Sorcerer
Nimble Mongoose
Quirion Elves
Phantom Centaur
Rogue Elephant
Seedborn Muse
Silvos, Rogue Elemental
Stampeding Wildebeests
Thornscape Battlemage
Tornado Elemental (I don't think he's top 25, but I do like him more than Thorn Elemental)
Troll Ascetic
Viridian Zealot
Werebear
Wood Elves
Woodripper

Artifact: (Just for the record, I'm a HUGE Mindless Automaton fan. It fits very easily into many different types of builds)

Clockwork Dragon (underrated)
Dodecapod
Draco (his high CC lends itself to many alternative decktypes)
Myr Retriever (which IMO is better than Junk Diver)
Myr Servitor
Steel Golem (Grid Monitor potentially as well)
Viseling
Triskelion

Do you want people's individual top-25 lists?

C

chris92

is CHK included?

red
suq ata lancer
kumano master yamabushi

black
fallen askari
nezumi graverobber

blue
cephalid illusionist

white
longbow archer

green
sakura tribe elder

artifact
phyrexian warbeast

Killer Joe

Okay Oversoul, of your compiled list, can you make a "Top 10" from each color?

I would think that the criteria could be this:

1.) A stand alone creature that would be good in any generic color appropiate deck (not a situational creature like Trinket Mage, because on it's own, it's weak).

2.) Mana Cost efficient.

3.) Multi-tasked creatures ie Masticore not only shoots creatures but regenerates, too.

4.) Is it a "BAM!" card, you know, one that immediately changes the game dynamics as soon as it hits the table.

5.) "Cha-Ching!", is it a $$$MONEY$$$ card.

Here's a ~Short List~

Artifacts
Masticore
Darksteel Colossus

Black
Hypnotic Specter

Blue
Morphling
Serendib Efreet (The BLUE one)

Gold
Shadowmage Infiltrator
Spiritmonger

Green
Ravenous Baloth
Rofellos, Llanowar Emmissary

Red
Goblin Sharpshooter
Ball Lightning

White
Eternal Dragon
Exalted Angel

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I was considering top ten. I think a larger number would be more adequate for my purposes though...

I was thinking of 50, but it seemed much too large and it gets into creatures that simply aren't as good.

25 is the plan for now though, so why make a top ten?

N

NorrYtt

The first list on this thread is good. Is there a specific format for this? Are you constantly updating the first post of this thread?

I agree with cards like Scapelexis. Scapelexis does one thing and it does it very well. He was a absolute BEAST in JU/JU/JU draft at the Prerelease against the guy that took all the Giant Warthogs and Suntail Hawks (5 of each, 40 card deck, basic Forests and Plains, one hit kill). He's a finisher and I feel that he should kill in about 6 swings.

You got some of the obscure utility creatures on there too, like Keldon Champion, Radiant's Dragoons, and Ticking Gnomes.

I think the deck-idea creatures can be left off this list. You don't put Endless Wurm into a green deck or even a fattie deck; you build a deck around Endless Wurm. Even so, Auratog is way better so he should cover the enchantment happy creatures. Wall of Mulch is good, but Wall of Blossoms is better at doing the same thing. I hope you understand.

Just off the top of my head:

There are bad guys on your list like

WRONG

Defiant Elf (???)
Gamekeeper - I used him once, but there are far better things to do in green like get more mana, draw more cards, or search for fat. Natural Order is the best of these, and this creature doesn't deserve mention.
Noble Panther - G/W has WAY better options for 3 drops it's not funny, but I like me some Fleetfoot Panther...
Draco - This guy is just bad. I've played with him lots of times and he's far worse than just a simple Ordered Migration. Getting all the basic land in play is not easy, but just think of all the creatures you can play with WUBRG (Bringer, Spiritmonger, Ordered Migration, Sliver Queen...). Draco is a combo piece
Myr Retriever > Junk Diver
Thran Golem - too conditional
Endless Wurm - conditional
Metathran Elite - Phantom Warrior is better, but this ability isn't really relevant except for specialized Sigil of Sleep decks.
Defender of Chaos/Order - I just don't like these guys. Instant creatures should impact the table like Simian Grunts, Caller of the Claw, or Masako the Humorless.

MISSING

Arc-Slogger (!) - 4th best creature in Standard after Eternal Witness, Arcbound Ravager, and Disciple of the Vault
Shivan Hellkite - multiplayer wrecking ball, controls the table
Two-Headed Dragon - just plain better than Shivan Dragon
Rorix Bladewing
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Thrull Surgeon - utility creature with no real parallel; strong to recur against control; slightly clashes with Nezumi Shortfang in function

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
First off, I haven't been giving this little project enough attention now, so it's a good thing you responded to it. Yes, the list is being updated, although not "constantly." Anyway...

Defiant Elf: I've never heard of this creature and I assume that I got the name confused with Taunting Elf (I already removed it from the list, since I've never even heard of it).

Gamekeeper: Green has a lot of cutting to be done. When I get around to it, I suppose that this guy won't make the top 25, but I don't know why you singled him out. He is actually quite good.

Noble Panther: Gold is pretty close to being a list of 25, which is what I want to eventually get all of these lists down to. I will not be cutting ANYTHING from gold until the final cuts. If you think that there are some other gold creatures that are particularly better and deserve to be on the list above Panther (but aren't there) please mention them.

Draco: Artifacts are my lowest category. Also, as you mentioned he is a combo piece. Creatures that are used for purposes other than attacking and blocking will make the list on merit of their other abilities. Draco has the highest mana cost of any card in the
entire game and many cards rely on the size of the number in the upper right corner.

Myr Retriever > Junk Diver: Um, that's been said already on this thread. Do you mean that Junk Diver should be cut?

Thran Golem: A simple creature enchantment (any creature enchantment) makes him into a 5/5 flying, first-striking, trampler. He's not a bad deal. Sure, he's not Masticore either, but not everything on the list is. With how small my artifact category is, he really does stand to make the top 25. What would you like to see replace him?

Endless Wurm: I've seen this creature work very well with Rancor on several occasions, but it occurs to me that Auratog is a lot better at that job anyway. I will probably cut Wurm soon.

Metathran Elite: He probably won't make it past my next cut of blue.

Defender dudes: I've never had a liking for these guys. They were suggested by someone else and I added them. They aren't horrible, but I'll probably cut them soon too.

Arc Slogger: You've got to be kidding me. I hope I never have to see another Arc Slogger again. I have some sort of irrational hatred of this creature. Also, it's not very good.

Disciple of the Vault: Not missing. Seriously, he was there already.

Shivan Hellkite: He is being added presently.

Two-Headed Dragon: Eh. I will add it, but I don't know how long it will stay up there. It isn't really better than Shivan Dragon either.

Rorix: Well, it does have haste. Okay, added.

Sakura something: Sorry, but I don't know what that is. My Appr. only goes up to 5th Dawn and maybe I'll update it someday, but that guy is from COK and I don't have the slightest idea what it does.

Thrull Surgeon: I've always liked it, but it never really pays off well enough. I will add it, but again, I don't know that it will do much but just get cut when I finally go through this and separate the wheat from the chaff...

Thanks. I'll be sure to get to cutting these lists down soon. Oh, and what is that Sakura thing anyway?

G

Gizmo

Hmmm... shall I make the real list now? Anybody who dismisses Arc Slogger as 'not very good' and would include Initiates Of The Ebon Hand is obviously a bit wrong in the head.

Back in a bit with a real list of good creatures... this might take a while.

G

Gizmo

Red

Ali From Cairo
Arc Slogger
Atog
Avalanche Riders
Balduvian Horde
Ball Lightning
Covetous Dragon
Crater Hellion
Dwarven Miner
Fireslinger
Gempalm Incinerator
Goblin Cadets
Goblin Lackey
Goblin Patrol
Goblin Piledriver
Goblin Raider
Goblin Sharpshooter
Goblin Sledder
Goblin Soothsayer
Goblin Warchief
Gorilla Shaman
Grim Lavamancer
Ironclaw Orcs
Jackal Pup
Kird Ape
Kris Mage
Lightning Dragon
Marton Stromgald
Mogg Fanatic
Mogg Flunkies
Mogg Raider
Molten Hydra
Orcish Artillery
Orcish Cannoneers
Orcish Librarian
Orcish Lumberjack
Orcish Settlers
Orgg
Rakavolver
Rathi Dragon
Scoria Cat
Shard Phoenix
Shivan Dragon
Shivan Zombie
Siege Gang Commander
Skizzik
Sparksmith
Squee, Goblin Nabob
Starke Of Rath
Suq Ata Lancer
Viashino Sandstalker
Wildfire Emissary

G

Gizmo

Black

Ascendant Evincar
Ashen Ghoul
Black Knight
Braids, Cabal Minion
Carnophage
Chilling Apparition
Coffin Queen
Crypt Angel
Crypt Creeper
Crypt Rats
Dauthi Horror
Dauthi Slayer
Demonic Hordes
Derelor
Desolation Angel
Eastern Paladin
Erg Raiders
Evil Eye Of Orms-By-Gore
Fallen Angel
Fallen Askari
Fledgling Djinn
Grinning Demon
Hate Weaver
Hell's Caretaker
Hidden Horror
Hypnotic Specter
Insidious Bookworms
Juzam Djinn
Knight Of Stromgald
Krovikan Horror
Laquatus's Champion
Mindslicer
Minion Of Leshrac
Nantuko Shade
Necratog
Necrosavant
Nekrataal
Nether Shadow
Nether Spirit
Nightscape Familiar
Order Of The Ebon Hand
Phantasmal Fiend
Phyrexian Negator
Phyrexian Plaguelord
Phyrexian Rager
Phyrexian Scuta
Plague Spitter
Plaguebearer
Priest Of Yawgmoth
Ravenous Rats
Rebel Informer
Royal Assasin
Sengir Vampire
Sewer Rats
Shadow Guildmage
Skittering Skirge
Sorceress Queen
Spike Cannibal
Stromgald Cabal
Stronghold Taskmaster
Thrashing Wumpus
Thrull Surgeon
Trench Wurm
Will O The Wisp

G

Gizmo

Originally posted by NorrYtt

Two-Headed Dragon - just plain better than Shivan Dragon
Not true at all. I have an Air Elemental - would you rather have the base 4/4 or the base 5/5? Same is true for if I'm holding two shocks, or a Prophetic Bolt, or... or... or... Shivvie's basic fatness is more important than subtelties of the abilities. When you get either in play you'e rocking hard, and Shivvie is the one most likely to stay in play, which is what's important.

Shivan Dragon > Two-Headed Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.