Goblin Deck or Goblin Mess?

D

DarthFerret

Y'all are starting to go over my head with the newer cards again...lol. Just let me know how it all turns out Revan. I would give you 4 Goblin Grenades if you were around here....*grin*

R

Revan

He went for the bait. I played a Goblin Replica for 2 ...got through COP: RED for 2 then it made him use an artifact destruct card on it. This bought me the time to get 2 Siege Gang Commanders out and 3 Avvi Avalanchers..oh yeah..with the Coat of Arms out. That's +10 to each. Still took 3 turns of building up to break through COP but eventually(when I had 19 Gobs out 3 of which were warchiefs,lol) With the coat of arms out I snuck just one lil' wanker card through and won,lol. I think I may put some sorcery or instants back in since I did take an early beating.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It would probably be a good idea to now start trying to outrace things like COP: Red. This is not to say that colorless damage sources are without value (Cursed Scroll saw a lot of use partially for that reason). But if you're getting that many goblins out, it sounds like a long game. Your strategy seems to have worked well to beat the deck you were up against (congrats). But a more finely-tuned white control deck (you may or may not run into one) will easily win a game that lasts so long (the vast majority of the time).

Well, it's up to you what route you want to take. When it comes to goblins, swinging with a Lackey to bring in Siege-Gang Commander early on and then burning away blockers and maybe using Goblin Grenade or Fireblast on the player is common practice. Of course, a slower deck with Coat of Arms and the like for power in the late game could have its own advantages (especially in multiplayer).

R

Revan

Good point. I lost about 15 Gobs to dwarven catapults before I could really even get going. The Pryrites being all I have, were pretty good for speed...although I had to hold back on using them several times to play a card. I think I might just go back to "heavier" (2/2,2/1) cards than mobs that get slaughtered by one instant,lol. Well..that's all I can think of anyway right now. Pnuemonia + Cough syrup+ No Sleep= me not thinking clearly,lol. I'm thinking of scrapping all of my decks except for the Goblins and then wait until I can afford some of the better cards mentioned then rebuild this and other decks.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I never did this much myself (maybe I should have), but for building on a budget, you might get affordable ideas from decklists for the Peasant format, which cannot use rares and has limited access to uncommons. If nothing else it can give you a vague idea of which commons and uncommons are generally useful in casual play...

J

jorael

Peasant Magic: SCG had a series of articles about them last week --> www.starcitygames.com

There probably are dedicated peasant magic sites, but I don't know them. Maybe someone else does? (or use Google....)

R

Revan

Thanks! I'll check it out. I'm debating whether or not I should put about 8 land destruction cards in this deck since it does take time to build up; to slow down his cop: red ability as well as the dwarven catapults. Do you all think I should do that? should I stay essentially sorcery, instant, enchantmentless? Or go back to just backing up the Gobs with direct damage such as Blood Hand, volcanic Hammer,etc? Thanks again.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Volcanic Hammer is pretty bad. I'd stay away from it when possible. It shouldn't be difficult to get some burn cards that are better (Incinerate comes to mind, but even Shock might be better than Volcanic Hammer).

O

orgg

Pyrite Spellbomb is colorless damage as well; it's a good choice if he's got the COPs; however, racing the COP also works sometimes. Pyrites can sneak through the final few damage, though.

I wouldn't remove the instant speed burn that's effective, like shock and bolt; the rest might be trimmable.

D

DarthFerret

Not sure if the cards are legal in your tourney or not, but in order to beat COP's I generally splash 4 Sky Diamonds, and 4 Mind Bends into the sideboard. COP White will do you opponent no good. :D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
Not sure if the cards are legal in your tourney or not, but in order to beat COP's I generally splash 4 Sky Diamonds, and 4 Mind Bends into the sideboard. COP White will do you opponent no good. :D
That will deal with the COP, but if it's THAT important, just Anarchy or Flashfires would be a lot more direct...

D

DarthFerret

True, if your opponent is even using Plains (in the case of Flashfires), and getting a hold of an Anarchy I have found has proven to be quite difficult. Luckily I still have 2 from way back when, but not sure where you can find that...and find it cheaply nowadays.

But at least there are 3 options for you to choose from Revan....

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Heh, I don't know if Anarchy is hard to find or not. Revan, if you're ever in the hellhole that is Kent, Washington (for some reason) I will trade you my Anarchies. I never use them anymore. I'm pretty sure I don't have a full playset of them, but I probably have two or three...

Speaking of color-hosers, Omen of Fire hits blue and white both pretty hard...