Goblin Deck or Goblin Mess?

R

Revan

I've been doing well with this deck against the one person I can find to play; but I would appreciate any help or thoughts on it. Thanks.
By the way, he uses a lot of equipment...4 blankedy-blank Sword of Fire and Ice cards and 3 Thorn Elementals come to mind,lol.

Lands:
30 x Mountains
2 x Goblin Burrows (only have two)

Artifacts:
1 x Coat of Arms (only one I have)

Creatures:
Non-Goblin: 1 x Viashino Sandstalker
3 x Spark Elemental
Goblins:
2 x Siege-Gang Commander (all I have)
1 x Goblin Psychopath
4 x Goblin Warchief
1 x Goblin Chariot
2 x Crazed Goblin
2 x Skirk Volcanist
1 x Reckless One
2 x Skirk Marauder
1 x Nosy Goblin
4 x Goblin Brawler
2 x Skirk Commando
4x Goblin Brigand
1 x Skirk Drill Sergeant
2 x Goblin Sky Raider
2 x Goblin Taskmaster
1 x Sparksmith
3 x Goblin Striker
2 x Goblin Grappler
1 x Goblin Raider
2 x Goblin Sledder
1 x Flamestick Courier
1 x Gempalm Incinerator

Enchantment:
1 x Sulfuric Vortex
Instants:
4 x Carbonize
1 x Lightning Bolt
1 x Electrostatic Bolt
2 x Barbed Lightning
1 x Shock
1 x Unforge
1 x Fists of the Anvil
2 x Shatter
1 x Magma Jet
Sorcery:
1 x Screaming Fury
3 x Goblin War Strike
4 x Volcanic Hammer
2 x Wave of Indifference

The idea is to have creatures I can get out cheaply then hit hard and fast. The instants and sorceries are to mainly keep his creatures at bay while I gather for Goblin War Strikes and the like. I'm a nobody player so please don't rip on me too bad if you think this is a terrible deck.
Note: The ones that are 2 or less are due to limited cards and funds.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
That is... a lot of cards. I'm getting dizzy through all the numbers, but I think the top listing says enough: 30 mountains? A deck is more consistent if it contains just 60 cards. As a rule of thumb, go for 24 lands.

Sword of fire and ice is mean v.s. a red deck. Your only chance is to race it. But if he's the only guy you're playing against, you could go for 4 unforge. Otherwise, 4 shatter isn't that bad.

O

orgg

My comments/help are in parenthesees, and usually bolded.

30 x Mountains (Here's one problem. Too Much Land in a goblin deck-- goblin decks are fast and do not require this much land-- you're also playing over sixty cards, making your deck less stable. This is not a good thing. Since goblins need to be fast, let us take this to twenty one lands-- because Goblin Burrows is a land, this is 23 total lands; twenty four to twenty six in a sixty card deck is normal.) x21
2 x Goblin Burrows (only have two)(((Two should be plenty. They might even be better as Mountains.))))x2
(23 lands, 23 cards total)

Artifacts:
1 x Coat of Arms (only one I have)((((Should be plenty. If your opponent plays with cards that destroy artifacts, you might want to remove this for another one or two casting cost creature to give him cards that he cannot use at all.)))x1
(24 cards total)

Goblins:
2 x Siege-Gang Commander (all I have)((Slightly expensive, but effective as a finisher))x2
4 x Goblin Warchief((Perfect Number))x4
1 x Reckless One(Meh. Not that good, really, but sometimes he works well. May be better as a one-casting-cost goblin, though)x1
2 x Skirk Marauder(A 2/1 for two. Since you don't have many one-casting cost creatures, he works for the mana curve.)x2
2 x Crazed Goblin(Much worse than any other one-casting-cost creature in the deck.)x2
4 x Goblin Brigand(Only because you need the speed these provide.)x2
1 x Skirk Drill Sergeant(See Skirk Marauder)x1
2 x Goblin Taskmaster(More?)x2
1 x Sparksmith(MORE!)x1
2 x Goblin Grappler(More?)x2
1 x Goblin Raider(More?)x1
2 x Goblin Sledder(More!!)x2
(24 Total Creatures, 48 cards total)

1 x Gempalm Incinerator(MORE! He's not actually a Goblin! He's an Instant!)x1
(1 Total Creatures that Function as an Instant, 49 cards total)
Enchantment:
1 x Sulfuric Vortex(Decent.)x1
Instants:
1 x Carbonize(Works, but not very well. Mana Inefficient. Could be Barbed Lightning if your opponent has no Regenerators.)x1
1 x Lightning Bolt(Why not more!)x1, but should be x4!
1 x Electrostatic Bolt(Highly dependant on what you think you'll be facing. How many artifact creatures?)x1
1 x Shock(MUCH worse than Lightning Bolt, but better than anything else on this list of instants)x1
2 x Shatter(Since you're worried about Sword of Fire and Ice, this works, though might not be the best choice)x2
Sorcery:
4 x Volcanic Hammer(Strictly worse than Lightning Bolt and mabe worse than Shock. Comparable to Shock, though.)x4
(Eleven non-creatures, sixty cards total.)
Cut Cards and the logic behind their removal:
Land:
9 Mountain(See first section on "Mountain.")
Creatures:
Non-Goblin: 1 x Viashino Sandstalker(A goblin deck benifits from having Goblins. While Sandstalker is good, he does not synergise with the rest of the deck)
3 x Spark Elemental(Very inefficient card-advantage wise.)
Goblins:
1 x Goblin Chariot(A decent creature, but Goblin War Chief is strictly better.)
1 x Goblin Psychopath(Expensive for what is effectivly a 2.5 power creature; a hill giant would be better on average.)
1 x Nosy Goblin(This guy is a three-mana two/one creature with a mediocre ability. Not worth playing)
2 x Skirk Volcanist(Very expensive for the effect generated and just not as good as he seems.)
2 x Skirk Commando(See Skirk Volcanist.)
2 x Goblin Sky Raider(HEAVILY underpowered for its casting cost.)
3 x Goblin Striker(slightly underpowered for the casting cost.)
1 x Flamestick Courier(see Goblin Striker)
4 x Goblin Brawler(Inefficient, once again. With goblins, you want AGGRESSION!)
Instants:
3 x Carbonize(Works, but not very well. Mana inefficient. Could be Barbed Lightning if your opponent has no Regenerators.)
2 x Barbed Lightning(Works, but somewhat inefficient and expensive when Entwined.)
1 x Magma Jet(Not very agressive, and you want agression. More Bolts would be better)
1 x Unforge(Just not worth it.)
1 x Fists of the Anvil(See Unforge.)
Sorceries:
1 x Screaming Fury(See Fists of the Anvil)
3 x Goblin War Strike(Creatures should be flexible enough to deal the majority of damage, and your burn spells should be flexible enough to serve as a finisher. This card's effectivness just is not there. If it hit both creatures and players, it would work well. As is, early game your burn should be able to kill the creatures that could otherwise block your creatures, and then when your opponent is at two or three, kill them if your creatures cannot get through or are all wiped out by Pyroclasm. This card is not useful at either time.)
2 x Wave of Indifference(See Unforge.)

!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any other questions, feel free to ask. If you have additional resources, please tell me, and I'll see if I can make the deck even better-- but this is better than what you originally had. Try it out and it should run much more efficiently-- Thorn Elemental shouldn't give you much trouble when you kill your opponent the turn after it comes out. :D

.txt file is the decklist if you require it.

Attachments

R

Revan

This is my revised deck. I just pasted someone with it. I thank you for your input. Unfortunately I will need to acquire the funds to acquire the cards needed. ( I want x4's believe me!!!)Check out the changes and tell me what you think.
Thanks a lot for the help. As soon as I can I will get those additions. Here is what I played with tonight and went 7 wins 1 loss:
20 x Mountains
2 x Goblin Burrows
1 x Coat of Arms
4 x Goblin Warchief
3 x Goblin Brawler
4 x Goblin Brigand
2 x goblin Striker
1 x Sparksmith
1 x Goblin Psychopath
2 x Siege-Gang Commander
1 x Goblin Raider
2x Goblin Sledder
1 x Reckless One
2 x Goblin Taskmaster
2 x Goblin Grappler
1 x Gempalm Incinerator
1 x Skirk Drill Sergeant
2x Goblin War strike
1 x Fists of the Anvil
4 x Volcanic Hammer
3 x Carbonize
1 x Magma Jet
2 x Shatter
1 x Shock
1 x Lightning Bolt
1 x Unforge

Thanks again for all of the input and help..I need it,lol.

O

orgg

Yes. Trim six cards from it. For tips, take a look in detail around my upper post.

R

Revan

I'm pretty happy about a combo I pulled off tonight. With 3 warchiefs out I managed to get 2 Siege commanders out at the same turn..oh..I had coat of arms out too. That was fuuun!

R

Revan

Here is what I have been playing with and with relative success. I hope my changes are effective, any tips would help as I consider this my favorite deck.(I know that's sad,lol) I don't have many other Goblins to include or do 4 ofs...however any recommendations on cards to get and what to put in and take out are EXTREMELY APPRECIATED! Here it is:
Lands:
2 x [card]Goblin Burrows[/card]
19 x [card]Mountain[/card]

Creatures:
4 x [card]Goblin Warchief[/card]
4 x [card]Goblin Brigand[/card]
4 x [card]Goblin Brawler[/card]
3 x [card]Goblin Striker[/card]
3 x [card]Rock Jockey[/card] great when I have only three mana and am mana starved it seems
2 x [card]Skirk Marauder[/card]
2 x [card]Siege-Gang Commander[/card] would be 4 when I get them
2 x [card]Goblin Sledder[/card]
1 x [card]Sparksmith[/card]
1 x [card]Skirk Drill Sergeant[/card]
1 x[card]Skirk Commando[/card]
1 x [card]Goblin Chariot[/card]
1 x [card]Gempalm Incinerator[/card] I'm thinking 3 more if I can get them.

sorcery:
4 x [card]Volcanic Hammer[/card]
Instants:
3 x [card]Carbonize[/card]
1 x [card]Shock[/card] need more I know
1 x [card]Magma Jet[/card]
1 x [card]Lightning Bolt[/card] need more I know

Artifact:
1 x [card]Coat of Arms[/card]

I've heard of Moggs???

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Some cards that are really cool in goblin decks (and which are not already in your deck)...

Goblin Grenade
Mogg Fanatic
Goblin Lackey
Mogg Flunkies
Goblin Piledriver
Fireblast

And if more Siege-Gang Commanders could be added, it would be a good idea...

D

DarthFerret

Just curious here, but whatever happened to the oldie but goodie....Goblin Warrens?...I know it can be kind of difficult to aquire, but it is an extreemly useful card in any goblin deck. Four of them can be quite deadly. I also see no Goblin King. Goblin Scouts work wonders, especially if you can get a skull catapult, combined with the warrens should be able to fire down those pesky fliers that plague most goblin decks. Granted, I do not have and dont know what some of these newer cards are, but this is the main basis of my ""old-school" goblin decks. Plus, I almost always have 2 Goblin Caves, and 2 Goblin Shrines in there. But once again, older cards that are a little more difficult to get. That is about all the imput I can give you at this time...

R

Revan

I've written down all the names that you have listed . I'll try to acquire those cards. With what I have; how do you think this deck is overall?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
Just curious here, but whatever happened to the oldie but goodie....Goblin Warrens?
It became too slow to maintain the "but goodie" part of its title...

Seriously, I kind of like the Warrens. But most goblin decks are going for a quick kill--and that is not what Goblin Warrens provides...

D

DarthFerret

Ah...my playgroup sort of frowns upon the "quick-kill" method, because we are a casual group that wants a good, lengthy game. Thus my token decks have become some of thier favorites to play against. well..that and my "oh no you have no library left to draw from" deck. LOL

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
Ah...my playgroup sort of frowns upon the "quick-kill" method, because we are a casual group that wants a good, lengthy game. Thus my token decks have become some of thier favorites to play against. well..that and my "oh no you have no library left to draw from" deck. LOL
So basically everyone in your group plays control?

Oh, and as far as multiplayer goes, I haven't seen Goblin Warrens hit the table for a long time now, but it can probably still be used effectively...

O

orgg

The land is too low. 24/60 should be the MINIMUM for land unless the deck is fast. The decks you are building do not have the discipline to pay attention to the mana curve of the deck/you currently are too inexperienced to recognise a mana curve in a deck (I'm not sure which), so keep the 24 lands in the deck.

D

DarthFerret

I am basically the only one in my group that plays control so far (although they just aquired a whole ton of blue cards...<drat>) But we prefer that a game lasts longer than 6 rounds. That is not to say that we NEVER build and play speedy decks, but it seems much more fun to build up an intircate army (be it creatures, enchantments, or nasty artifacts) and see whose will break under the strain. It is not uncommon for one of our games to last over an hour (if all 4 of us are playing anyways...)!

J

jackal_pup

DarthFerret said:
I am basically the only one in my group that plays control so far (although they just aquired a whole ton of blue cards...<drat>) But we prefer that a game lasts longer than 6 rounds. That is not to say that we NEVER build and play speedy decks, but it seems much more fun to build up an intircate army (be it creatures, enchantments, or nasty artifacts) and see whose will break under the strain. It is not uncommon for one of our games to last over an hour (if all 4 of us are playing anyways...)!
That's usually how my playgroup's games go...huge chaos games which last hours...I run a 5 color dragon legends deck just for games like that :D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
I am basically the only one in my group that plays control so far (although they just aquired a whole ton of blue cards...<drat>) But we prefer that a game lasts longer than 6 rounds.
Unless you intentionally build horrible decks, how do you have long games (as far as turns go) without control decks? A prison-based deck could do it, of course, but that deck is still trying to create a lockdown of some sort in the very early turns of the game. Neutralizing my opponent on turn 3 and then letting my deck set up its kill for the next 17 turns before I win is not all that different from comboing off on turn 3, except that it takes more turns. An aggro-control deck might reasonably be trying to win the game in more than six rounds, but it should still have gained board control by then, but that's still partially a control deck. So, unless your group only does multiplayer, how is it that you're playing long games with non-control decks?

D

DarthFerret

Actually, my prefered method is to eliminate all possibilities of my permanants and my life points from being touched. Then just build up whatever kill method I plan to use. Generally frustrates my opponents, but my roomies seem to like the challenge of finding the chinks in my defenses and breaking through.