Gameboy Advance

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Some might be future releases or in the works... I can't remember (either that or I got the platforms mixed up and was searching on XBox or something... )

J

Jigglypuff

Q*Bert is a port of the arcade game. The one with the orange guy with the long nose jumping on blocks in a pyramid trying to change their color.

Super Breakout is a game where you have a paddle and a ball that bounces around and you try to break the blocks. Also a port of an arcade game.

Defender of the Crown plays a little bit like Risk in that you are one of the factions attempting to rule England. You have armies that you can move around to each of the little areas of England and you need to protect your castles while trying to invade the other players' castles.

Advance Wars is one of my favorite GBA games. It's like a chess game, with each of your armies taking up one square on the grid. Each of your armies can move a certain distance each turn and they each have specific strengths and weaknesses.

And I haven't played the others that you mentioned. But I strongly recommend Advance Wars.

(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Advance Wars might be it then. That and Defender of the Crown... I'm looking for a strategy game to switch to when I get tired of Eye of the Beholder.

Are the ports "true" ports? I read there were some problems with the Joust port, in whatever "museum" or "classic pack" it came in...

J

Jigglypuff

The ports are "true" ports for the most part. I haven't heard of problems about any Joust port.

I strongly recommend Advance Wars and Defender of the Crown, but if you have to choose only one, I'd get Advance Wars. It might be a little tricky to find since it was one of the first GBA games, but you can get it cheap since Advance Wars 2 is due out at the end of the month.

(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was reading some review on a site that said the Joust port had "invisible" barriers that made it difficult to kill the dragon thingie and other stuff. If you're interested, I can try to find it again.

I'm looking on eBay for them. I got Defender of the Crown but neglected to closely read the S&H and am paying probably $5 more than I need to :rolleyes: Still bidding for Advance Wars :)

B

BigBlue

I managed to pick up EoB at Target for the same $10, thanks for the tip spidey.

My 5 year old loves it, though he doesn't really understand how it works. I was very surprised to see that they converted it to 3rd ed rules and yet left random creation rolls in - making the balanced system a bit unbalanced. Obviously they put some effort into the port, though the $10 makes me think the game is tanking which is unfortunate, because I think it's pretty good so far.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I just think that Target is clearing them out; I was going to see if you wanted me to buy one and ship it to you :) At all other places like Toys R Us that might stock it, it is still $30.

Since you can't change/adjust the rolls individually, I think it's okay. Some nitpick things are not being able to look at your stats before choosing skills to see what you are good in (with 4 and later 6 characters, I tend to forget :) ). Also not seeing your total inventory all at once, rather than seeing what's either equipped or what's for sale if you find a merchant.

But it's a pretty cool game; glad I picked it up :)

N

Nightstalkers

If you like RPG's try the RPG creator thats free for download on the net :D

<Eris: Goddess of Chaos ;)>

N

Nightstalkers

I'm serious about this Sarah :D

Gotcha now don't I.

What? this evil person who masquerades about on our account?

And what has she done to my settings!!! :mad:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently Wing Commander: Prophecy is out for Gameboy Advance now, just saw it last night in a couple of stores. Gonna be my new want.

Been trying to get Advance Wars on eBay for cheaper than the retail of $20 in stores, no luck so far :)

N

Nightstalkers

Also try Flea Markets, bargain bins, and other gaming retailers for good buys.