Gameboy Advance

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking of getting this as a portable way of playing games :) and it seems to have some of the older games that I like for nostalgia, like Donkey Kong or Galaga/DigDug/Frogger. Anyone have this and have had any problems with it?

T

train

I know someone with one... and they never put it down..(jealous me over here in the corner...):p

N

Nightstalkers

try the card E-reader. The put out these cards with old-style games like frogger on the cards. I think...

Just another idea from a crazed psychopath :yawn:

B

BigBlue

They're pretty cool. The biggest problem I have with them is the screen is really dark, it isn't at all backlit. So, you have to use it in good lighting. They make lights for them which are ok, not great.

The screens are pretty big and colorful for such a small unit. My kids each have one, and the array of games for them is pretty extensive (you can use any GB-Color game as well as the GBA games and the E-card reader as mentioned earlier).

Also, I have heard (though I haven't researched it) that you can get an adapter to play any of the GBA (and presumably GBC) games on the Gamecube.

Get some sort of Rechargable battery source. I use Ni-mh rechargeables to good effect, they work very well since they are just AA batteries and can be used in many things, generally you can get a charger with 2-4 batteries for around $10-15. Those work for quite a while and are quick to recharge (I have one which charges up 4 in about 4 hours).

N

Nightstalkers

The gameboy Advance GT solves one of your problems by sporting a backlit screen and an the added compact size. But while you get those great features you lose the ability to play the GBC games.

My best answer to the whole dilemma was to buy a cheap ($5) battery/ac pack that allows you to recharge the battery pack or use the ac adapter instead of using batteries while indoors. Of course I had a GBC at the time and hated the LCD (Still hate them...) but solved my problem by adding small dollhouse lights glued in w/ apoxy inside the screen protector. Hey, it worked darn it!

J

Jigglypuff

It's actually called the SP and I haven't had any problems playing any of my old GB games on it, whether they were the color games or not.

(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay... so the best one to go with is the Game Boy Advance SP?

I'm a guy who played arcade games in the 80's and then stopped in favor of PC gaming and Magic in the 90's. I didn't have Nintendo or Game Boy or any of the "old" handheld stuff so all of this is new to me :)

T

train

Nintendo...

Anyone still have that mat you'd run on for the track and field game?... Or the gun for Duck Hunt?...:cool:

N

Nightstalkers

Duckhunt was not as much fun as it was funny... but thats just me:rolleyes:

I still don't get the blaster thing for the nintendo advance (That bazooka looking thing) and still don't remember what games went with it.

Sorry, but I had my old GBC stolen and haven't looked into buying another as of yet. But until this whole internet web page advertising thing pays off, I'm almost broke as it is (And cut off from others to give the money to me )

J

Jigglypuff

The SP is definitely the one to go with. The cost is a little steep (around 100 dollars), but the front-lit screen is really helpful, especially if you have bad eyesight like me. The built-in battery pack is nice as well. Nintendo is also porting a lot of the SNES games to it and there's going to be a Final Fantasy Tactics game out for it as well.

(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm hoping to get it for a birthday gift so hopefully cost won't be a problem :)

I have terrible eyesight also so it'd probably be useful.

So what's the model that like $70 in Target? The one without the backlight?

Has anyone played a good amount of games on GBA? Like I said before, I like the old arcade stuff and RPG; I saw Eye of the Beholder and was wondering if that's any good. I'm not too keen on fighter games where you need to knock out your opponent with a combination of buttons.

J

Jigglypuff

Probably. The original Game Boy Advance is not back-lit. You can tell the two apart because the SP is square and it has a lid that folds up and down.

As for games, Eye of the Beholder is an exact port of the original SNES game. I enjoyed playing the original version, but it does take some time to get into it. Like I said before, Nintendo's porting a lot of the SNES games to it, such as LoZ: A Link to the Past and Breath of Fire 1 and 2. It's also got Namcomuseum Vol.1 and might be getting the other volumes as well.

(- Steve -)

W

Whimsical

Hiya, Spidey dahling! A Gameboy Advance? Mah sources (aka my little brothers) tell moi that it's a good deal. I'm rather partial to the new Gameboy Advance SP though. That metallic look is absolutely ah-dorable. And it's tiny too!

Size does matter. And for handheld consoles, smaller is better ... though that doesn't necessarily hold true to evvveerryything. ;)

Ahhh ... forgot to mention. The GBA I think has the Namco Museum collection ... ya know. Games like Galaga...

N

Nightstalkers

Wow, one of the few people that I thought were dead came back... If you could have some other creature type to come back, which type would it be

Bring me all of the Whimsy's you own.

Code:
Free Will v1.3

S

Svenmonkey

Get out of here, Nightstalkers.

Code:
And stop the "Free Will" stuff

N

Nightstalkers

[lookoutitsthechancellor]:([/lookoutitsthechancellor]

Remember to always buy your GBs at Best Buy or somewhere else where you can get one of those warrantees so that if you child "accidentally" leaves the thing in the back yard, for a year, after several storms, lawn mowers, and animals... you get the picture.

something like a 1 year warrantee for $57 or so... don't remember what it is for the 5 years though.

J

Jigglypuff

I didn't buy my GB at a Best Buy. I bought mine at Software, Etc. Of course, I'm also very careful with my video game products and I don't have any kids running around destroying my stuff.

(- Steve -)

A

Apollo

Hey, wait just a second! Where's the fanfare? The parades? The booze? Perhaps you didn't notice, but Whimsy posted! She's alive! ALIVE!

*Apollo is thoroughly gleeful.*