Fylgja

T

train

I've already lost a tourney to blue... many a times...

That's not to say if I wanted to win more than my principle belief of having fun - I'd play blue just to win...

H

Homestar

oooo i c. so you hate blue cuz it has way to much potential or something like that?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It's a purposefully misspelled version of the word "broken." This is a lot like your spelling "don't" as "dun."

T

train

The Blue portion of the color wheel - and anything that is contained within that portion of the color-wheel for that portion specifically...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Train's just being, well, Train...

"Broken" means that something is overly powerful. To Train, that is blue. To me...

Well, Balance just isn't blue...

T

train

the reason balance isn't with blue is because that would be the end-all...

HS - I play anything not blue that catches my fancy...:cool:

R

Rooser

Homestar............

Train's been playing the game a lot longer than you have. He doesn't hate blue because he's stupid. He knows perfectly well - probably more than you do - what blue is capable of. He knows that blue is a really powerful color, in fact, that's why he hates it.

"Broken" is magic lingo for "way too powerful." Jot that down somewhere.

Train's hatred of blue is admittedly a shtick to some extent, but he boycotts the color on ethical principle. He thinks the color, with all its "No, no, no you can't do that" ruins the fun of the game, regardless of whether you're losing to it, or winning with it. And to be honest, blue-heavy control is a bit boring.

It's certainly not a bad choice for tournaments, but the point of a tournament is to win. Us casual players - note the name of this website - play for fun, and mono-blue control is not fun.

Worse, most of us play multiplayer games, and mono-blue control is usally pretty bad in multiplayer anyway. Tempo-gaining cards such as counterspells do a really good job of screwing one player over, but they don't improve your own position at all, so while you're busy chessing one player out, the other players will get ahead of you in board development. This is why most tournament players don't like multiplayer games - because they can't hide behind their exhaustive little control cards and expect to win.

T

train

Rooser pretty much nailed it HS... the one thing that gets lost in Magic Tourneys - for most players - is that it is a game, and should be fun...

Power case in point - look what I thought of with blue/black while using Ice Cauldron...

Straight Blue with Ice cauldron is just as dangerous...

Ice cauldron - who'd a thunk it?...

"Nevermind, it's my brain at work again..."

H

Homestar

I kno hes been playin longer than me. i just asked him what colors he uses. but ne wayz, i made a blue/white morph deck. is that like a control deck or cheap or broken? cuz i dont wanna get into the habit of bieng cheap. i cant make a deck with black in it cuz i have about 30 black cards and i traded all my good green cuz, for some reason, i just never found a reason to like green.

now what i do have is a blue/white threshold deck, a white protection deck, a white/blue morph deck, and a red direct damage deck. are those newbish or broken? im not tryin to be smart or ne thing cuz, like i said, i dont wanna get into the habit of bieng cheap.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I wouldn't worry about your decks being broken. None of those sound like they could be...

Why would you say you're not trying to be smart? It's better than the alternative...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think he means it more in terms of "wise-oink" than brain-smart...

Homestar, the decks sound fine but post them in Decks so we have a chance to see them. And I've got lots of black cards if you need them :)

H

Homestar

no but if i did that every one would be baggin on me cuz i have crappy cards. (plus im a lazy, slow typer)

O

orgg

Originally posted by Homestar
no but if i did that every one would be baggin on me cuz i have crappy cards. (plus im a lazy, slow typer)
Lazyness isn't the best trait to keep; however, if you improve upon it and streach out the latter, becoming a careful and slow typist, it indicates a greater intelligence.

While at your age it might not be typical to find someone who uses the [Shift] key a large amount, punctuation and approximate spelling are always appriciated. Slow down your typing some and I'm sure many additional people will read your posts-- one way to garner attention is to make people's jobs easier for them.

Punctuation and Paragraphs are a very easy way to do this, though it takes some practice.

If you want to know when to worry about your decks, it is this: If your opponent dies before his or her third turn, begin to worry that your deck is 'broken.' From your descriptions, your playgroup is still in the 'stone age' of "Magic Tech," Starcitygames.com's basics will move one person into the 'Bronze Age,' and the other playgroup members will eventually follow. Some steps up may be less-than-fun, but after the evolution of your playgroup, all will have more fun. Knowledge of the game simply makes it better to me, and I love sharing that knoweldge with others and trying to make them appriciate the game even more-- that was one point of my challanges the past month or so on MOL. Sadly, I've been nearly tapped out... there's not ten commons left. :(

...and I was having so much fun tossing off excess commons, too...

H

Homestar

well ill definatly take em if ur willing to just give them to me. but wait, how do i recieve them? do you send them to me or something?

edit:im only 11 yrs old so i just asked my dad if he would let me give out my info on where we live and stuff if thats what i have to do and he said i cant. so maybe if there was a way that i wouldnt have to do that or somethin then i could get em.