Fylgja

H

Homestar

Hey all, i just got this card Fylgja and i think if its played correctly, it could be unbelievably good. it takes 1 plain to gety out and says:

When Fylgja comes into play, put four healing counters on it.

tap 0:remove a healing counter from Fylgja to prevent 1 damage from creature Fylgja enchants.

2, 1 plains: put a healing counter on Fylgja.

Tell me what you guys think about this.

Homestar

N

Nightstalkers

[url-http://www.wizards.com/magic/autocard.asp?name=Fylgja]Fylgja[/url] is not the most effective weapon against damage prevention when dealing with creatures... especially if your using white.

By gods man, think with your guide and look into cards like Pacifism or Arrest

FYI: Just click on the card names in me posts to see what they are... it'll save you some time

Nightstalker Habuki

N

NorrYtt

Fylgja is a pile; you can do way better with stuff like Flickering Ward or even Darksteel's Test of Faith.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yes, as has been pointed out, Fylgja's not a very good card. I've never used it myself. However, it's not completely useless, as it can protect a small creature with an ability-somewhat. Cards that grant actual protection or more powerful effects, like Flickering Ward or Inviobility tend to see much more use. I have no idea where that word comes from either, but you've made me wonder enough to look for it...

Okay, it's not even on the website I normally look to, but a quick search reveals that it's some sort of symbolic spirit thing from Scandinavian mythology, likened to doppelgangers...

An interesting thing I noticed about this card when I pulled it out after seeing this thread was that it uses the old white mana symbol, even though my other Ice Age cards seem to use the new one. Prismatic Ward is also this way. Does anyone know why this is? Were certain cards like this, or just an earlier batch or something?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I know, but doesn't anyone get tired of hearing that? I still can't figure out what they were thinking when they made that card. Did they forget that they'd printed Giant Fan in Unglued or something?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
it uses the old white mana symbol, even though my other Ice Age cards seem to use the new one.
Never noticed it before. Since it was designed at the same time a Alpha/Beta, maybe the designers just never changed the templating or whatever you call it on those cards.

Did they forget that they'd printed Giant Fan in Unglued or something?
Can't use Unglued in tourneys.... and WOTC wanted a tourney-usable counter mover.

T

train

I don't get tired of hearing about the conduit...

"Now - if you ask people around here about Coat of Arms - they might have a different opinion for you...';)

M

Mikeymike

While not completely horrid, WotC has printed much better versions of "Damage Prevention" creature enchantments, like Inviolability

The only reason I can see using something like Fylgia is because you can pay to build up counters for Power Conduit, as Train points out.

T

train

Yeah - the paying to produce as many counters as you want, is a lot faster than waiting for cumulative upkeep counters to generate...

But if you have multiple conduits - what the heck...;)

T

train

Whhat's funny is having them out against the fountain... none of my lands turn into islands(and stay that way)!!!...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Why would they want a tourney-usable counter mover, though? What next? A tourney usable Ashnod's coupon? Those cards were supposed to be funny. When they print real versions of them later, it ruins the fun...

Coat of Arms? Would serve those morons who overuse it right if they'd never reprinted that one either...

They could've picked Memory Crystal to take its place!

H

Homestar

WHAT IS UP WITH THOSE UNGLUED CARDS (if you dont kno what im talkin about go to www.starcitygames and type in "unglued" in that little box on the main page) omg that charm school is funny. "balance charm school on your head. choose a color. prevent all damage that would ever be dealt to you by that color. if charm school falls off your head, scrifice it."

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Oversoul
Why would they want a tourney-usable counter mover, though? What next? A tourney usable Ashnod's coupon? Those cards were supposed to be funny. When they print real versions of them later, it ruins the fun...

Coat of Arms? Would serve those morons who overuse it right if they'd never reprinted that one either...

They could've picked Memory Crystal to take its place!
Depends on how you look at them. Personally I feel there are a decent amount of Unglued cards that actually had some great effects. They seem goofy because of their setting and names, but that doesn't mean they aren't effects that don't belong in the game of Magic.

Some of my favorites have included (and still do) Giant Fan, Goblin Bookie, Chicken Egg, Clambassadors, Hungry Hungry Heifer, Infernal Spawn of Evil, Organ Harvest, Look at me I'm the DCI, Squirrel Farmand, and Ultimate Nightmare of WotC Customer Service. Why do I like these particular cards? Because they are actually usable, and often quite unique, mechanics without the typical Unglued interactions. I feel like each of these cards (or interpretations of) can manage to find their way into a legit set.

Trust me when I say I have zero issues with them printing Power Conduit...and Krark's Thumb for that matter. WotC has a reserve sitting right at their disposal.

Bottom line is that Magic is different things to different people. I'd be completely pissed off if they reprinted something like Stasis (and I was playing more normally in the tourney scene), but I know many who would be thrilled.

And Denied! is one of the most insane counters ever. Incoming! is a flat-out instant win.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
You make good points. I just don't like Power Conduit, which shouldn't come as a surprise, since I don't like new cards in general. But Power Conduit I wouldn't like, no matter what set it was in.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Mikeymike and I like the idea of the Conduit; I liked the Spikes in Tempest a long time ago and loved moving around the counters with Spike Rogue.

H

Homestar

lol train. im gonna be so happy when you lose a tourney to a BLUE deck you, you, you BLUE HATER:eek: . yea:) thats all i got.