Funny anecdote in today's WOTC article

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It'll Never Last

As we played, a rather attractive waitress in the bar became fascinated with our game and sidled over to Tony to get a closer look. She leaned in close and literally purred at him, “The art on those cards is beautiful. What game are you playing?”

As long as there has been Magic: The Gathering there has been no good answer to that question. Tony may have found the worst possible answer in Magic's short history: “You see, we're two wizards—”
:eek:

:p

N

Nightstalkers

As long as there has been Magic: The Gathering there has been no good answer to that question. Tony may have found the worst possible answer in Magic's short history: “You see, we're two wizards—”
Exact same way I explain it.

T

train

I always liked the...

"I'm not mature enough to play poker..." :p

And playing Magic doesn't make you "lose" money...;)

Ferret

Staff member
Let's face it folks: If you can find someone of the fairer sex that will listen to you explain MTG to her and she sticks around to watch MARRY HER!

-Ferret

"If only I could convince Mrs. F to play..."

N

Notepad

>> As long as there has been Magic: The Gathering there has been no good answer to that question.

That has always been a problem, because most people who ask "What are you doing" just really don't give a oink. To quote Tyler Durton from Fight Club:

"Why? So you can pretend you're interested?"

N

Nightstalkers

How do you explain to a person you love that your a cardboard crack dealer?

I

Istanbul

"I'm summoning the Devil. See all these black cards, how evil and hate factor into it? Arranging them in this particular way allows me to communicate with my dark master. When I'm killing babies and puppies, these are the means I use to determine how I do it."

O

orgg

Originally posted by SeFRo
. To quote Tyler Durton from Fight Club:

"Why? So you can pretend you're interested?"
I'll start doing that. That's a great response.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Nightstalkers
Odd way to pick up women ain't it though?
Originally posted by SeFRo
That has always been a problem, because most people who ask "What are you doing" just really don't give a oink
I don't think he was trying to pick up women; they were in a bar and happened to be playing and it loks like the waitress was trying to pick him up.

And yeah, she may not have been interested in the cards (unless she really liked the art) - she was interested in him!

N

Notepad

>> And yeah, she may not have been interested in the cards - she was interested in him!

That's the optimistic point to take. I tend to think they're just the same random face from the herd of ignorant 'tards who are only asking because they have nothing better to do, and must keep asking inane questions or else they'll have to start thinking about what meaningless cattle they are...

Dang, that felt good.

As you can see, I totally hate when non-gamer types come up and say "What's that?"

"It's Pokemon, lady, except this is the Mortal Kombat version where I can actually kill Pikachu. And, if I work hard enough to work up my psychosis, I can kill you, too." *wink* *middle finger* "Now go the hell away."

:D :D :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, obviously I only have the article to go by, but it seems to me that if you're waitressing in a busy bar but take the time out to ask what game is that, you may be slightly interested in the person... :)

I

Istanbul

What I actually say:

"Magic is a collectable card game. Each player customizes his deck using creatures, spells, and artifacts to try to overwhelm his opponent and reduce their life total from 20 to 0 - in that way, it's much like a strategy game. It's been compared to Pokemon, but it's infinitely more rich and complicated...Magic is to Pokemon as Chess is to Checkers. Magic involves everything from bluffing skills to probabilities, from timing to luck, and it's almost never the same game twice."

A

Apollo

I generally say "It's a fancy card game."

If they press further, I mentally shoot myself and go into the whole "two wizards" deal... :p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'd probably say "It's a card game where each player has their own deck and 20 life (points) and the object is to get the other down to 0".

Ferret

Staff member
"It's like D&D w/ cards."

If they're still talking to you and look genuinely interested, I'll go into more detail. Otherwise, I'll just let them walk away w/ their bemused expressions...

-Ferret

"I wonder if Vin Diesel plays Magic?"

T

train

Waitress - So what kind of game are you all playing?...
Guy1 - We're acting like 2*feels sharp pain under the table...*Sheesh! What'd...*receives the shut up sign from friend...*
Guy2 - We're playing a card game... The winner gets to ask you out...*winks at waitress...*

Waitress - Really?... hmmm... The winner is a lucky man... and I think it's cute when guys hit on me... *walks off...*

Guy1 and Guy2 finish game - Guy2 wins... and confidently strolls over to the waitress...

Waitress - Let me guess - you're the lucky man tonight...
Guy2 - Sure am...
Waitress - We'll I told my boss you'd take me out when you were done with your game... Let's go... *she wraps arms with him and heads outside...*
*Boss chuckles in the background...*

Guy2 - so you really think it's cute when a guy hits on you?...
Waitress - Yes, but what I like more is hitting them back!!!...*Smack, Pow, Thump, Smash...*

Waitress - Oh - name's Shauna... hobbies are studying for my eigth degree black belt in karate, and whoopin your oink!!... What's your name?...
Guy 2 - *moans in agony...*

N

Notepad

Excellent scenario, train.

There are two truths to the story in the article:

The waitress was pretty and was just a bimbo making talk to distract her from how useless she really is in the universe.

Or...

The waitress was ugly as a hag, but being female, and most likely having red hair, suddenly makes the huge friggen geek writing the story think she's hot.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Or the waitress was pretty, smart, and actually interested in the guy and/or game, at least the pictures.

Geez, either a bit pessimistic or a skeptic in that pretty girls with a brain could actually be interested...

T

train

Geez, either a bit pessimistic or a skeptic in that pretty girls with a brain could actually be interested...
I think it's because no female Magic Player to date has been a centerfold...:p

I personally like the fact that there are females playing the game, no matter what the looks or skill level... It's even more fun to watch them beat a guy...