Full English Breakfast

D

Duel

Question: Is masticore good here?

Look, it's control, it makes shapeshifter able to ping and regenerate, and it can, if it needs, replace itself as the top card of your graveyard, no?

G

Gizmo

Turn 1: Forest, Birds

Turn 2: Land, Wall of Roots, Use wall Survival of the Fittest

End of their turn use the wall to survival up a Hellion.

Turn 3: Land, Shapeshifter, Discard Hellion (Dreadnaught) Declare attack, activate hellions ability 11 times, respond to this by discarding the Dreadnaught for a monster(any) Shapeshifter becomes 12/12, hellion ability resolves, shapeshifter becomes 23/1 trample. Opponent drops dead. :)

This can happen with surprising regularity because if you are holding a wall of roots you don't even need to be holding a shapshifter because you discard the wall to get the shapeshifter then use the walls ability through the shapeshifter to get the extra mana required to get the kill.

Z

Zadok001

AH! That Hellion freak has HASTE! :) Ok, that makes more sense now... I kept trying to come up with a way to do it, and I always forced myself to drop the Shapeshifter on turn two. I think I found my problem!

Well, overlooking THAT tiny little issue sure makes the process harder, doesn't it now? I feel kinda stupid, considering I used to play the Hellion in other decks for the sole purpose of it having Haste. Sheesh.

Me dumb. Ignore me.

Well, don't ignore me _entirely_, I'm still curious about that rearranging issue. Let's say I have a crammed graveyard, and a Shapeshifter that thinks it's a Reya. During my upkeep, I return Reya to play. During this process, can I change the order of my graveyard to anything I choose?

[Oh, minor nitpick: Gizmo, if you use the Shapeshifter as the Wall, you can only pump to 22 power. The counter sticks around. (Hey, if I can look dumb, I can try to make other people look silly too, can't I? I failed, didn't I?) --Edited in 30 seconds after post by Zadok001]

D

Duel

No. I got the ruling on that, you are not allowed to change the order of your graveyard.

Hey, you think Search for Survivors works? It's just stupid enough......

and is masticore good?

G

Gizmo

Apollo was asking about this thread, so I thought I`d bring it to the top for him, also post our 'definitive' listing:

Green
4 Birds Of Paradise
2 Elven Lyrist
2 Quirion Ranger
4 Wall Of Roots
1 Uktabi Orangutan

4 Survival Of The Fittest

Blue
4 Volrath`s Shapeshifter
2 Tradewind Rider
1 Morphling

3 Mana Leak
4 Force Of Will

White
1 Reya, Dawnbringer

Red
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
1 Flowstone Hellion

Black
1 Krovikan Horror

Gold
1 Sliver Queen

Artifact
2 Phyrexian Dreadnought
1 Bottle Gnomes

Land
2 Taiga
1 Undiscovered Paradise
4 City Of Brass
4 Tropical Island
4 Forest
6 Island

Sideboard
1 Pygmy Hippo
1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Gilded Drake
1 Spiketail Drake
1 Oath of Ghouls
1 Circle of Protection: Red
1 Carrion Beetle
1 Bottle Gnomes
1 Masticore
3 Pyroblast
2 Simoon
1 Peacekeeper

J

John`O

The version that Scott qualified
with last weekend was a more refined version
with the Brainstorm / Land Grant engine
and a Palinchron to speed to the kill.
Also no city of brass as they are horrible
against wasteland and you don't really need the
5 colour mana anyway.

something like this...

3 Forest
3 Island
2 Volcanic Island
4 Tropical Island
2 Taiga
1 Savannah
1 Undiscovered Paradise
4 Land Grant
4 Survival of the Fittest
4 Force of Will
3 Counterspell
4 Brainstorm
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Wall of Roots
1 Quirion Ranger
4 Volrath's Shapeshifter
1 Tradewind Rider
2 Phyrexian Dreadnought
1 Uktabi Orangutan
1 Bottle Gnomes
1 Palinchron
1 Morphling
1 Reya, Dawnbringer
1 Flowstone Hellion
1 Masticore
1 Elvish Lyrist
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob

Sideboard:
1 Bottle Gnomes
3 Pyroblast
2 Emerald Charm
3 Daze
1 Sliver Queen
3 Annul
2 Phyrexian Furnace

JohnO

G

Gizmo

Now *everybody* gets to use my No1 rule for making a good deck:
"Ask JohnO for his decklist, then copy it precisely."
- Me, lots of times, to anybody who will listen

I`d still want to use a Krovikan Horror though.

I

Istanbul

Silly question...

Okay. Birds, Survival, blah, Hellion, etc, Dreadnought, 23/1, cool. I'll Shock it.

Birds, Survival, blah, Hellion...on my second turn, I Ritual into an Ensnaring Bridge.

Birds, Survival, blah, Hellion, etc, Dreadnought, 23/1, cool. I'll activate my Tormod's Crypt now.

How does this deck handle any of these three situations? All are early possibilities.

N

Neil Rigby

1) Add morphling into the mix and make it untargetable

2)Declare attackers (power is 3 at this time), activate ability 23/1
OR use uktabi orangutan

3) Tormods crypt isn't legal in extended

oh well at least you tried.

D

Duel

Right, FEB is nothing if not versatile. My brother and I were running it on a deck he promised would beat it via apprentice. He was playing classy sligh. I was playing FEB. He hit a great hand, destroyed my mana, and lost. How? Wall of roots, SoF, and 2 creatures in hand. Looks like

Me: Forest, birds.
Him: Mountain, mogg fanatic. Kill birds.
Me: Island, Wall of roots
Him: Mountain, mogg fanatic, cursed scroll
Me: Tropical island, SoF
Him: Mountain. Cursed scroll me naming "Fireblast" my wall gets hit with it, he kills my wall of roots. In response, I activate SoF, dumping a quirion ranger for a shapeshifter. Wall is the top card of my graveyard.
Me: Draw, City of brass. Volrath's shapeshifter. He sacrifices fanatic to kill the shapeshifter. I remind him it's a 0/5 and he graons. He goes.
Him: Draw, lay a land. seal of fire. Cursed scroll naming shock. It also lands on my wall, then he seal of fires it and shocks it. I counter his shock. With FoW.
Me: During upkeep, play a morphling to my grave with survival. Make it untargetable. Draw, play a forest. Attack him. He doesn't block. I survival into the combo. He takes a 23/1 untargetable.

A

Apollo

Ooo... [me]drools.[/me]

This is a cool deck. I'm dying to try it. I don't want to try it on M:IE, though, cause most people there won't understand it (I barely do:)).

Anyway, thanks to Gizmo for bringing this up for me and telling me about it.

"He seemed surprised."

Lol.

D

Duel

Well, yo'd be shocked how often people forget to block your shapeshifter, thinking "What's the worst that can happen?"

Z

Zadok001

You're the only one who does that, Duel. Everyone else blocks with all their creatures, and usually throws in some burn to boot. They're getting used to the idea. A mutual friend of ours does occassionally attack me with puny little Rhoxi for me to block with a 12/12 trampler, but hey, that's just him.

Seriously, Barclay was right. I'm yet to play someone who doesn't make a game-losing error against me with that deck. (Of course, I often make game-losing errors against other people, but that's an entirely separate matter. This is a HARD deck to play correctly...)

D

Duel

My brother doesn't....

Oh, and BTW, a quote from a game between me and zadok, I'm with stompy, he's with FEB......

Me: Attack with a rancored muscle sliver
Him: Block with shapeshifter, discard morphling to get a dreadnaught, make it untargetable, discard dreadnaught to get a crater hellion. Block with shapeshifter.
Me: giant growth Muscle sliver. Invigorate muscle sliver. Invigorate muscle sliver....
Him: Well I'll be damned......

From another game...
(He's at 1)
Me: Attack with rancored vine dryad, elvish lyrist, and vine dryad.
Him: Block the rancroed vine dryad with a shapshifter that looks like a wall of roots, block the lyrist with a birds of paradise. the other vine dryad with a wall of roots. My birds die.
Me:So does your shapeshifter
Him: Why?
Me: Because it looks like a 0/1 to me.....
Him: Well I'll be damned....

K

KaVu_LoRd

i am back cause Aku necro is playing this deck and woping me.

he plays verdant force

A

Aku Necromancer

yes, currently im using a maindeck Verdent Force until I come across a Sliver Queen. although im quite hesitant that the Sliver Queen is a legend, and can ruin my plans if i have 2 shifters in play. Also how on earth is this deck suppose to combat decks such as pandeburst?

G

Gizmo

No dekc can beat every other deck. Pandeburst is possibly hard matchup, I don`t know. I`m sure it can win if it is played properly though. Get SotF down to win, I would imagine.

A

Apollo

Well, each deck can win 3rd turn. Just try to kill them before they kill you. And you've got the Force of Wills, which help.

I haven't seen any Pandeburst decklists in a while. I imagine it has blue too, with the usual complements of Counters and Forces, so I'd say the matchup is about even, pre-board. Of course, virtually no one plays it much anymore, so it's not the most important deck to worry about right now.

D

Duel

The way I see it, FEB is, essentially, a superior version of TS, in that it CAN have the same lock, but has a more efficient way of getting creatures into play once it has SotF on the table, and a quicker kill method. Otherwise, it has the same locks, tricks, and defense that TS does. Is that a fair summation?

(BTW, no deck really can combat pandeburst but with counterspells, duress, and phyrexian furnace.)