Full English Breakfast

G

Gizmo

This is the bestest funniest most wackiest extended deck currently going:

The Deck: Full English Breakfast*
Designer: Paul Barclay (of Level Four judge fame, the number one rules expert)
10 land, 16 commons, 9 uncommons, 40 rares
Play Difficulty: 9 (Trix rates about a 6 on this scale)

Land:
4 Forest
6 Island
4 Tropical Island
1 Taiga
1 Savannah
2 Undiscovered Paradise
3 City of Brass

Magical Spells**:
4 Survival of the Fittest
4 Force of Will
3 Counterspell

Fantastic Creatures**:
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Wall of Roots
2 Quirion Ranger
4 Volrath's Shapeshifter
3 Tradewind Rider
2 Phyrexian Dreadnought
1 Elvish Lyrist
1 Uktabi Orangutan
1 Bottle Gnomes
1 Gilded Drake
1 Sliver Queen
1 Morphling
1 Reya, Dawnbringer
1 Flowstone Hellion
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob

Sideboard:
1 Pygmy Hippo (vs mono blue and Stasis)
1 Phelddagrif (vs Oath)
1 Recurring Nightmare (vs control and slower burn strategies)
1 Seal of Cleansing (vs Trix and heavy enchantment/artifact decks)
1 Gilded Drake (mirror match or other creature decks)
1 Spiketail Drake (vs Trix only)
1 Oath of Ghouls (vs various kinds of control)
1 Circle of Protection: Red (vs, well, Red)
1 Carrion Beetle (vs mirror match, Oath and similar decks)
1 Bottle Gnomes (vs Sligh)
1 Masticore (vs sligh, 3-deuce etc.)
1 Academy Rector (vs Sligh, Trix, control, fat creatures)
3 Pyroblast (vs anything with blue in it)

* It's named "Full English Breakfast" because it's full of fat and much nicer than boring old cereal.
** The phrase 'Magical Spells and Fantastic Creatures' appeared first on Magic booster packs but became something of an in-joke among top ranked players after Mercadian Masques came out. The joke being that WOTC was guilty of false advertising as Masques had very few Magical Spells, and almost no Fantastic Creatures at all.

His report is here:
http://www.neutralground.net/Forums/ForumItem.asp?NewsID=1205&BackupLink=Main.asp

L

Landkiller

Now - this is a rogue deck.

*Applause*

If I would play ANY survival variant, it's this.

Well, I can't exactly give any deck advice - this is the work of a master. :)

P

Purple_jester

:eek: I've been staring at it for over 10 minutes and I still don't understand how the darn thing is supposed to work...

Wait a minute, I think I'm getting it now...

Yes, yes. Understanding beginning to creep into my fragile non-pro mind...

Uh-huh, got it.

He gets mucho brownie points for using Sliver Queen, Phyrexian Dreadnought and Reya Dawnbringer. minor deduction for putting in that most evil of creatures, Morphling. ;)

[Edited by Purple_jester on 12-14-00 at 06:04 AM]

G

Gizmo

The killer to the deck is that abilities transfer from one creature to the next with the Shapeshifer.
ie, you could play the Shapeshifter, turn it into a Morphling and make it untargetable, then turn it into a Flowstone Hellion (giving it Haste) and then put eleven +1/-1 effects on the stack then in response turn it into a Dreadnought.
Hey ho - a 23/1 Haste, Untargetable monster!

M

Mundungu

I read the tourney report of the guy who played/designed full english breakfast - dont know where anymore, but I sure fell in love with the deck.

Seems to be a lot of fun to play, especially the "confuse your opponent" part of it.

My favorite : discard Reya to the shifter and bring the real reya into play the next turn.

What a blast.

Thanks for posting the deck here Giz !
BTW, if it is the full english breakfast, which cards represent the black pudding ?
Oh My wrong, that's the scotisch breakfast :)

N

Neil Rigby

This deck totally kicks arse.
I built it after reading Pauls tournament report and then played it at our playtest session that night. I lost 3 games all night (out of about 25-35) and in most games I could have left my opponent with no permanents in play if I wasn't so busy giving them major beats on turn 3, The deck is so much fun and can do so much it's unreal. I suggest that everyone gets a copy of this deck and plays it just so they can laugh there ass off when their opponent tries to work out what is going on. :D

M

Mundungu

Actually I have only 1 shapeshifter ...
no way I can build that deck damm !!!!

But I 'll get there. might take me 1 year but I'll get there ....

G

Gizmo

It works then, Neil. Knew it would.
BTW - if I don`t see you before I read this do I have Underground Seas or Lakes Of The Dead for Sunday yet? Or do I have to grovel to Tu and Chad for them?

Killer Joe

Last night at my weekly tournament at Exit 13, I saw this "Thing". I didn't play against it but every match you could hear someone in the shop say, "Whatinthehellisthat?!" I went over to see what folks were saying and there it was, a deck only a mother could love. I didn't bother to memorize or copy the deck, however, I did see some key cards to indicate what it was though; Survival, Shapeshifter and a Dreadnought.
It came in 2nd. and was the hit of the night. Man, did that thing look HARD to play.

BTW, my match record with T-S; 2-1-1
A little 11 year old playing aT2 Evil Fish deck creamed me, geesh, was THAT a hard pill to swallow.

D

Duel

What you are gawking at is my favorite combo deck in extended. And I use combo in the fires-of-yavimaya-one-turn-haste-over-20-damage sense.

Is it possible, just possible, that this could become a new viable decktype? With tuning and metagame, of course, but everyone I've talked to says they love it. Is it possible that, out of the stagnant pool of extended combos, we have a new, vitalizing force? I hope so. I was gonna build the deck, but Zadok has laid his claim in a catlike fashion......

Z

Zadok001

"Catlike?"

:)

Sweet deck! I absolutely LOVE the interactions available...

G

galtwish

Horror will really help against Oath and TS...excellent.

Erik

Z

Zadok001

Hmm... I hate to recommend more janky cards to an already janked out deck (more slang, more slang!), but has anyone considered Tortured Existance? It's a Stronghold enchantment:

Tortured Existence
B, Enchantment, Stronghold Common
B, Choose and discard a creature card: Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.

Obviously, this is a quasi Survival and a good way to recur a creature you didn't really want to waste, and a new way to abuse Squee like a freak.

Thoughts?

(Next up, rulings issue! If I have a Shapeshifter in play, and I use, say, Tortured Existance, can I rearrange my graveyard? I presume not, but I seem to remember some old thing about that... For example, if I search my library, I can rearrange it. I have to shuffle it afterwards, but I can rearrange it to any state I'd like before shuffling, as long as I'm not stalling or reducing the randomization of the deck. Can I do the same in this case with my graveyard?)

D

Duel

I second that. That's BB: target creature card becomes the top card f your library

G

Gizmo

Totally unecessary.
1. Tortured Existence is just bad Oath Of Ghouls
2. This is a turn 3 kill deck. Don`t mess around, just kill turn 3 - if this deck has 5 mana and a Survival, it`s won.

K

K9Archmage

woah, very "janked" deck. it is cool. NOT AS COOL AS MY THRULL DECK! MWAHAHAHH!

Hoipa

Z

Zadok001

Turn 3?

Turn 1: Forest, Birds
Turn 2: Tropical Island, Ranger, Tap Birds, return forest to untap, tap Birds, tap Island, Shapeshifter
Turn 3: Play forest, tap Forest and Birds, Survival, tap Island, discard Hellion, 11 +1/-1s on the stack, use Ranger to untap Birds, tap Birds, discard Dreadnought, kill.

Ok, so it CAN do Turn 3, but I'm betting it never does, realistically. I agree the TE isn't all that hot, but my rules question still stands.

G

galtwish

1-Birds(or elves in all cases)
2-Birds or Ranger/Survival
3-Shifter/Surival Hellion (giving Haste), pump on stack/Survival Dreadnaught/serve

OR

1-Birds
2-Birds/Birds/Birds
3-Survival plus turn 3 above

plus your version.

Erik