Forum Software Change

D

DarthFerret

One other thing (may have been mentioned, but I did not find it in a quick scan) is that a users current post count is not displayed to the left like in the prior boards. Is there a way to put that back in?

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Yeah, there's a bit of debate about that: clean, minimalist vs the kind of info people are used to seeing (post count, location, etc). I'm not sure what will happen yet, though it is a simple change to make.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Being the Mr. Nostalgia that I am, I was digging around the older threads. There's an article on ChannelFireball.com that references Vintage Rotisserie draft, a format very similar to the Ultimate Singleton draft we've done a couple of times. I mentioned it on the comments to the article and, after posting, noticed that none of the links on the "Master Page" worked. Is every old thread doomed to this fate OR is there a solution.

I really would hate to think that the consequence for this new look is to take a dump on everything that had been posted here before.

Master Thread here

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
For every thread in every forum I've posted in today EXCEPT the Founder's Forum, I get a pop-up saying "The following error occurred: A Server error occurred" with no other details. The post still goes through when I Refresh though. I have noticed that the smilies don't seem to be working, maybe that's it?

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Oops, I may have taken down the boards without realizing it. There was a flag that I didn't realize was wrong and there was no message to tell me that. It has one now though. Sorry! :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
LOL... I thought the boards being down meant you were fixing it... or we were going to the next version of the software...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
This software is growing on me. Still missing the archives and the nostalgia buzz. How have any other Beta sites fared?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
The only other site currently is the official company site: http://xenforo.com/community/ This launched less than a month ago, and there's been a fair amount of good buzz. :)

As for the nostalgia thing Ransac, have you tried it recently? If you look for all posts by you and get to the end of the last page, it should give you an option to continue searching for older posts. :)

I'm not sure if by archives you mean the link at the bottom right. It wasn't really an archive, just a lighter style. Really, it was just a bad and totally unnecessary feature.

N

Nightstalkers

Funny enough I've had this site as my homepage since... well... forever. Little bizarre of a change. The website seems so clean cut and older while this forum is more like the newer style stuff you see now-a-days. Sure we had older software, but it seemed to scale better between 3 screens or one big screen than this.

Muted tones are definitely detracting a little. Softer colours than the main page.

T

theorgg

I like the 'hide from public view' delete option. Great idea, there. If someone's raising a ruckus, that lets the board owner scan the posts first.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Yeah. Color changes are relatively simple as well. I've just been leaving it at the default as it's constantly being updated.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Who develops the skins? You/the devs or can the user community do it? If the former, if we give some suggestions, can you guys incorporate them?

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Well, we (the devs) do the default skin. We don't have any other skins that we maintain (yet?). The user community has developed various skins from the first beta release.

If you have suggestions, by all means let me know. I can make some changes here if you want. Aside from the orange, it's not too far off the main site colors. Obviously the main site is now "old school", given that it probably hasn't had it's design touched since the early 2000s. (There's always that black and orange... ;) Though I find white text on black very fatiguing to read nowadays.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, this is all coming from Shoe's effort to bring back the CPA "from the dead", as it were. One of them is a site redesign, like making it look more "MTG" looking, I believe.

I'm not familiar with skin design, so how has the user community developed skins? Is there some standard "skin" software or specific for this forum software?

Shoe would probably be the initial designer, but with all of us weighing in, I guess...

Shoe

what type of formatting do you need for a custom skin/banner? I am not an awesome artist but I can photoshop with the best of them....maybe I will mix up a couple new banners with some pictures from MTG cards and see if I can come up with something everyone likes