Fake Card: Solitary Griffin, Beefy Flyer with a cost.

• Thread starter Force of Will Smith
  • Start date
F

Force of Will Smith

what do u think?

oh and just so you know.. the redundancy in creature sacrificing IS important... because if you put creatures into play any other way.. he kills them... and you can get totally screwed with it too...

You: Ill attack with my griffin
opponent: ill make all lands 1/1's until end of turn...
You: wait.. wait.. i.. i guess i sac all my lands...DAMMIT!!!
opponent: oh and ill animate that artifact too.

Attachments

L

Limited

This one I like! Still very broken in UW control.. perhaps he should be 3/3? (withing Flamerange?)

(btw, the way he is worded now, he destroys himself upon entering play. Should be "other creatures" also)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
This would be an interesting weapon for control decks. It hits fast and hard, but it is going to be essentially the only thing hitting your opponent at all...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Limited, his p/t and flying seem too much for just a 2 cc, despite the drawback. I mean, it's essentially a Serra Angel without the Vigilant ability.

F

Force of Will Smith

do you think i could make him a 4/3?

a 3/3 turn is still pretty monstrous... and in u/w control he'd be an atom bomb!!! :D

F

Force of Will Smith

*grumble* yah... its a 7 turn clock instead of a 5...

E

evan d

just for the player if there is room add a bit about the ability to weither sac tteh creature or all other creatures.

F

Force of Will Smith

oh yeah that too.. i think ill make him 1W though.. just because WW is essentially 2W

D

DÛke

Because novice card creators think that way.

WW means the creature or spell essentially monopolizes on White's exclusive abilities and flavor, that it is more “white” than not. But only through the years has it been dumped down to equalize "2W." It's really all in the theory of color flavor rather than in the theory of card balance. You have to have an understanding of the "spirit" of the colors, and not simply the concepts that make a card "balanced."

A single colored mana does not equal 2 generic mana. Unless you're a novice, or the latest hire of WotC’s R&D.

For WW you can do drastically different things than for 2W. Drastically, provided that you have the deep understanding required...

That's why whenever people used to say (and maybe still say?) that "WotC should print a new Counterspell for 2U" I simply cringe. It's UU that gives you a hard counter, not a 2U. When the day comes that you see a card such as this:

Spellcounter (2U)
Instant
Counter target spell

...when you see something like the above, consider the game dead. But it's already going to that path with things like the following. Just compare these:

Inspiration (3U)
Instant
Draw 2 cards.

VERSUS

Counsel of the Soratami (2U)
Sorcery
Draw 2 cards.

For some reason, someone at WotC thought that it's just that easy to take away 1 mana from the cc of a spell: simply by changing the spell into a sorcery. In theory, that's wonderful - it works, it's balanced. Flavor wise, it sucks big time. It makes the cards all the more generic, as if that's something the game can afford at this stage.

I've been casually following FoWS's card's, and to be stictly honest, a lot of them are laughable in nature and highly flawed in their concepts - I'm focusing on the one's that are supposed to be "good," of course, and not the humourous ones. His "theory" (which works) mirrors the "water-everything-down" theory that WotC has been following lately...

F

Force of Will Smith

A single colored mana does not equal 2 generic mana. Unless you're a novice, or the latest hire of WotC’s R&D.
it's been posted at one point in time a method of keeping costs down is keeping them monocolor.. not a single color, but an additional..

what costs more? BBBBBBBBB or 6BB? easily the one with 9 black.. which if made into a card would easily cost 10 or 11 if involving colorless.

Dawn elemental for example.

Because novice card creators think that way.
I don't really know where this is coming from as i've scoured the internet for "good card designers." I'm just not going to point any fingers and keep my mouth shut. This board especially is about sharing and critiquing ideas, not understanding a deeper mantra of the "spirit" of the colors or establishing a hierarchy of card design skill. Besides.. the spirit of colors has shifted already, and continues to do so.

Spellcounter (2U)
Instant
Counter target spell

...when you see something like the above, consider the game dead. But it's already going to that path with things like the following. Just compare these:

Inspiration (3U)
Instant
Draw 2 cards.

VERSUS

Counsel of the Soratami (2U)
Sorcery
Draw 2 cards.

For some reason, someone at WotC thought that it's just that easy to take away 1 mana from the cc of a spell: simply by changing the spell into a sorcery. In theory, that's wonderful - it works, it's balanced. Flavor wise, it sucks big time. It makes the cards all the more generic, as if that's something the game can afford at this stage.

And you're lecturing me about being a novice?
Inspiration and counsel have the SAME cost... inspiration is an instant.. a million times more useful... cousel is done on your turn, tapping you out,possibly negating mana from countering..

For the same reason R for 1 damage instant is not that great.. but R for 1 sorcery is ass..

2U counterspells are the way of the future... there are already many spells that come ridiculously close..

Exclude, 2U (IN)Instant Counter target creature spell. Draw a card.
Rethink, 2U (PR)Instant Counter target spell unless its controller pays X, where X is its converted mana cost. (Double the casting cost of a spell)
Complicate, 2U (ON) Instant Counter target spell unless its controller pays 3.

Liquify, 2U (TO) Instant Counter target spell with converted mana cost 3 or less. If it's countered this way, remove it from the game instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard.

Vex, 2U Instant (DS)Counter target spell. That spell's controller may draw
a card.
Thoughtbind, 2U (CHK) Instant Counter target spell with cost 4 or less.

if you'll notice.. darksteel almost had it.. but in champions they whimped out a little...

Most of these cards aren't very playable now... so if people decide vex isn't worth it any more.. and wizards notices this trend... the card your talking about.. is a vex -1 drawn card.. looks like Magic as you know it is gonna be dead by the time Ravinca rolls around...

His "theory" (which works) mirrors the "water-everything-down" theory that WotC has been following lately...
Watering everything down, or killing the game.. is often the rant of an old-school magic player upset with the innovations and natural evolution the game has taken... i'm not convinced.. i'd need more examples...

Also, if you're going to blast me, don't qualify it with a "which works" statement.. If you have conviction in what you say, don't back down, otherwise people won't take you seriously... like me...

You don't know my design philosophy on anything... so don't preach like you know my "theory." I do this **** for fun.

You coin Wotc like you are actually involved in their development. Watering down to you is an exansion of ideas to me.. I take an idea and run with it.. if the idea is on a downward spiral.. ill salvage the art and try to keep it..
if not.. abandon it and move on..

I'm not going to spend the comparable Years of R&D in card writing in a casual playgroup for designs i do for fun instead of money.

I've been casually following FoWS's card's, and to be stictly honest, a lot of them are laughable in nature and highly flawed in their concepts - I'm focusing on the one's that are supposed to be "good," of course, and not the humourous ones.

hmm.. we'll lets see.. i build my cards off of pre-existing cards, or a do a spin off, or something try to do something completely "original". Original being cards that undoubtedly are in the making, or a variant of which has been thought of by someone in the world. I try to use the same wording... the same image format, same colors, same font, templating, and naming structure...

so what about that... aside from your opinion, makes my cards any worse than over 1,000 of the cards IN magic:the gathering?

Secondly, if you've had great critiques.. then why not ever post?
I could undoubtedly learn from your designs... hell i could have COOL names on my cards like...

Electro-beam Psionic and Gigantor Elemental Doom-blood-cloud..

What I don't get is even from the beginning.. when you write
you always spill hate... maybe you should get more sleep or something..

I left misetings cause of the "quality" of people there...
I recommend you check it out..

instead of writing pages criticizing what you say, i'm simply going to quote what you HAVE said... that way people can view your opinions fairly..

I personally don't have a desire to begin an endless debate with a person who've other's have described as
I just think he's more than a little full of himself, takes this game, and definitely this board way too seriously, and tends to be a jerk, insulting and being condescending to others from time to time.
You like to argue, and you put a lot of effort into it. Let me give you a bit of advice, and tell you that arguing in a manner that makes people perceive you as a jerk is a great way to get ignored, and I'm sure you can't bear that. Being ignored isn't an effective way to argue.
and who's offered such tidbits of wisdom as:

It's simple, actually, but I guess you can't even comprehend such simplicity. So let me spell it out for you: you're an idiot. I hope that was easy enough for you to understand. I'm kinda tired of repeating myself, especially since I'm repeating the plain and simple.

Idiot. You.
If your mom told you that you can do and be anything you want, let me correct her, god bless her soul.
You are an idiot. You are meant to be an idiot.
You. Idiot.
Got it?
People who have no point of view and refuse for everyone else to have a point of view by marking "wrong" anything and everything that does try to have a point of view. Do you know what I mean?
You asked what is a casual player. You had no, and still have, no theory about it. I gave a theory. Instead of anything, you just tell me you think that it's not really that good beacause more people need to be included under "casual."
You don't make sense.
But, if it helps, if I was your daddy, yes I'd be ashamed of it.
I hate Elves. Because they are weak and pathetic. They're overrated and their sexuality is often questionable and suggestive. Maybe they think they're kinky. Who knows.
So yes, I have a problem with CPA members. A big one. They need to learn how to discuss things. It's not that hard guys, and you'd think basic education would have taught that. Instead, we get someone who simply awaits the next few points another makes, dissects them, destroys them, or simply just insults the person, and says "you're wrong," in the meantime offering little or no real effort to give their opinion or make up their own theories and ideas. It's very unproductive, to be frank, and leads nowhere.

Something can't be "wrong," or at least can't be said "to be wrong," if the person saying that it is "wrong" can't offer what is "right," other than just a "gut feeling" or whatever. And yet that's the case. "You're wrong." That's all you hear, whether they actually say just that or right a 20 page essay. The conclusion is "you're wrong." But why? "Because you're wrong." So can you show me what is right? "You're wrong." So what's right? "You're wrong." Any ideas, please, of what's right? "You're wrong."

The CPA was never like this, certainly it wasn't a year or so ago. Now it is. Sigh.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
My gut says changing the cc to 1W is a mistake. If you're gonna do that, I'd then change his p/t to 2/3. But just my feeling :)

D

DÛke

What on heaven's Earth were those quotes? I don't get it.

Why don't I ever comment? Because it's called life, school, relationships, and other places where I vent my creativity. But Oversoul here asked a very insightful question which I had to take a part in.

So basically, what you're saying is this: you're like 99.99% of people out there who have an idea that can't even stand a simple 30-second critique, and so its owner (in this case, YOU) go off on some tangent about some quotes and about how you hate me for doing exactly what you say you want:
This board especially is about sharing and critiquing ideas...
Well then! And when I share my idea about the "spirit" of the colors, what do you do? When I share my thoughts about colored mana, what do you do? So be honest with yourself, will you please? - you're not here to exchange ideas and opinions, you're here because there aren't enough members to make you look stupid...and as soon as there is one, you hide behind some obsecure, old, and tired defenses about "oh how evil Duke is"...

Well, thanks for the heads up. You're exactly the almost-quarter-witted scum that keeps the world filthy. You have no idea how many of your type I’ve encountered in this message board alone.

My advice? Grow up. Learn how to take an honest-to-goodness critique, and, finally...please...grow up. (As repetitive as the text on your Griffin, isn’t it?...)

F

Force of Will Smith

Those quotes were just stupid things you've said.. or rips people said about you..

hehehe omg.. I

So basically, what you're saying is this: you're like 99.99% of people out there who have an idea that can't even stand a simple 30-second critique, and so its owner (in this case, YOU) go off on some tangent about some quotes and about how you hate me for doing exactly what you say you want:
i don't hate you.. and i could care less about 99.999% of all people..
You just came in here complaining and now you're defense when i basically tell you to calm the **** down.

in regards to why im here.. im here to post my cards and before i put them to press i run them through a filter... to measure if theyre worth fixing,
not politics.. not bitching..

then you go off critiquing my methods and ideas of which you have no grasp.
To sum it all up you go into personal attacks about.. *laughs* how I keep the world filthy :D... man you should proof your ideas..

I ink,illustrate, and do graphic design for clients.. i've heard every complaint known to man.. but they usually have a basis..

Besides.. you can't talk **** and expect people not to respond? You realize that don't you?

I posted that message because its fine if you dont want to comment, its fine if you want to just look.. You could save them and type the word "fag" over the images if you wanted to..

but out of nowhere you're an expert? when i've heard nothing about anything up until this point.. thats why it took my by surprise.. you're ideas weren't the least bit helpful.. sounded more like a rant

but you can think what you want.. I'm here to post cards... get a little advice... i don't want to here anyone's angst.

apparently you're here to vent your stress and feel bigger.. that's fine..
I could care less..
call me whatever you want.. type an angry message on your livejournal..
im out.

D

DÛke

You said: "I'm here to post cards... get a little advice..."

No, you're here to post your cards. Not get advice.

And one real advice, if you actually want to improve your flawed ideas, please dig up some thread by Istanbul or FoundationOfRancor, or some of my own threads even - look at the cards, look at some of the critiques of the cards, and maybe then you'll have a reason to exist.

Now, if you just want to spit cards out and adjust their casting cost and p/t a little after some members tell you how bad they are, that's perfectly fine. Rarely do people want to learn; you don't take me by surprise.

Other than that, I think it's clear to anyone that my first post here was rather objective and helpful, even had some ideas; your reply to it was violent, and then you talk to me about angst?...

It's like no one could say anything around here unless it involves some major a**-kissing and candy-coating. A sign of immaturity.

E

evan d

Not to sound rude but has anyone read that entire post. Wee bit long.