Extreamly ANGERY...

D

Daggertooth

Well, I really question if anyone is actualy right. Too many bad things have happened because one side claims to have the absolute truth.

Off topic I got in a little argument with a web commic guys Journal. He totaly bashed islam. For some reason I felt compelled to defend it. Heres what was said.....

by Ralph E hays
WHAT IT WOULD TAKE
I've gotten some flak for suggesting that, since nearly 100% of the terrorists who have attacked our nation and killed our people over the past 30 years have been Islamic Mideasterners, we ought to start expressing some suspicion about Islamic Mideasterners. God forbid that we should start noticing a pattern.
But, giving the devil his tuppence due, let's consider that the apologists who would rather frisk old ladies and toddlers at the airport than offend a Muslim might have a point or two. What justification is there, precisely, for being suspicious of an entire religion? (Not of course that this has stopped Ivy league professors and wetnosed trust-fund brats from railing accusations at Christendom..... but I digress.) We do acknowledge the existence of dangerous ideologies on a normal basis. Cults, for one....
What, specifically, would be the qualifying characteristics of a belief system that should earn it the suspicion I would heap upon it?

1: If it is spread, as dictated by its own holy doctrine, through coercion, violence and military conquest.
It is a basic fact that the religion of a conquering nation soon gains dominance as a consequence of that nation's spread, regardless of the religion espoused. Conquerors make it easier for their favored religion to set up its temples and proselytize abroad... and after all, why worship the deities of the losing team? But it's a whole different ball of wax when it is the religion itself that is the reason for the conquest, and when the subjugated people are put to conversion or death.
For all its past sins, Christianity's central doctrine of growth was *proselytizing*--- "Go ye into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature."
Islam, on the other hand, has the Jihad.
Jihad," the Muslim holy war against Christians and others, has raged for 1,300 years with bloody conquests in Europe dating from campaigns to convert the infidels in the 7th century to today's random acts of terrorism in the name of Allah....a legacy of brutality vastly more bloody and six times longer in duration than the atrocities of the crusades. beginning around 650 c.e. The Islamic Arabs (and later the Moors) occupied a number of the Mediterranean Islands, and invaded Spain and Portugal in 711 c.e., and ruled over much of the Iberian peninsula for the next 800 years. France was attacked and invaded, as was Italy, and the European coasts all the way to Ireland and Iceland. The Muslims swept over the Balkans, besieged Vienna, and were intermittent masters of Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, and Hungary into the 19th century, destroying the Byzantines, taking Constantinople (turning it into Istanbul). Ambitious and unrelenting, the Muslims also sought to conquer Austria, and Russia.
This, unlike the depredations of the Crusades which directly contradicted the spoken teachings of Christ, were *in direct agreement with the teachings of Islam.*
Sahih Muslim
The Book of Faith (Kitab Al-Iman)
Book 001, Number 0033:
It has been narrated on the authority of Abdullah b. 'Umar that the
Messenger of Allah said: I have been commanded to fight against people
till they testify that there is no god but Allah, that Muhammad is the
messenger of Allah, and they establish prayer, and pay Zakat and if they
do it, their blood and property are guaranteed protection on my behalf
except when justified by law, and their affairs rest with Allah.
Sahih Muslim
Book 019, Number 4366:
It has been narrated by 'Umar b. al-Khattib that he heard the Messenger
of Allah (may peace be upon him) say: I will expel the Jews and
Christians from the Arabian Peninsula and will not leave any but Muslim.
[9:5] But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the
Pagans wherever ye find them, an seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in
wait for them in every stratagem

Mohammed was quoted as saying
"I have been ordered to fight with the people
till they say, none has the right to be worshipped but Allah".
Al-Bukhari vol: 1:25

2) If it advocates genocide.
The slaughter of Israelis by islamic terrorists should be self-evident. These are not warriors fighting oppression, these are killers butchering women and children in their own shops and streets.... and they are again, in fulfilment of their own theology.
Volume 4, Book 52, Number 176:
Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:
Allah's Apostle said, "You (i.e. Muslims) will fight with the Jews till some
of them will hide behind stones. The stones will (betray them) saying, 'O
'Abdullah (i.e. slave of Allah)! There is a Jew hiding behind me; so kill
him.' "

3)If it advocates suicide or murder as an assured route to heaven.
We were all appalled at the Heaven's Gate cult and its suicide pact. Horrified by the Jonestown suicide. What of Islam, which not merely advocates suicide but *murder*-suicide... and appeals to its children to do so?
"If an injury has touched you, be sure that a similar injury has touched the
enemy. And so these are the days We give to men by turns, that Allaah may
test those who believe and that He may take martyrs from amongst you and
Allaah likes not the transgressors. And that Allaah may purify the believers
and destroy the disbelievers." [Quran 3:140-141]
Volume 4, Book 52, Number 46:
Narrated Abu Huraira:
I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "The example of a Mujahid in Allah's Cause--
and Allah knows better who really strives in His Cause----is like a person
who fasts and prays continuously. Allah guarantees that He will admit the
Mujahid in His Cause into Paradise if he is killed, otherwise He will return
him to his home safely with rewards and war booty."

4)If it espouses misogyny.
Those who grouse and fingerpoint at Christendom for the oppression of women-- were their eyes plucked out, that they could not see what Islam does to its women? Women may be "subject to their husbands" in Judeo-Christian tradition and religion.... but they are also treasured, honored, protected. "Husbands, love your wives..." "... For her price is far above rubies...." Two books of the bible are named for honored women-- Esther and Ruth. At least one woman served as a judge over Israel in the age before the first Israeli king. And one scarcely needs mention the honored place that Mary, the mother of Jesus, holds in Christendom... along with countless other women throughout the bible honored for their virtue, their courage, their intelligence, their cunning, their wisdom. The first two people to see the risen Christ were women come to tend to his grave.
Women may not hold a *dominant* place in Christianity--but they are held in a valued and esteemed regard. Christianity treats its women with respect.

Islam treats women like crap.
Muslims regard women at best as cattle, and at worst, as little more than cesspits of evil, as vermin set on earth to tempt the holy Islamic male away from Allah. It is a common teaching that most women end up in hell because of their evil ways.... and shall we go into detail about the Islamic version of heaven? It describes, in luscious detail, a place of endless wine, endless food and hot and cold running virgins-- the wet dream of a self-centered pubescent male. (Strange that there is no description of what heaven is like for the women....) In the Islamic world, beatings are normal. Genital mutilation-- the so-called "female circumcision"-- is common. Women are stoned to death for "adultery"-- which can be 'proven' by the fact she was seen walking with a man not of her family.
And you are aware that Islam permits the rape of women belonging to unbelievers during Jihad?...
And if an Islamic woman is raped, she is expected to *kill herself* for the shame *she* has brought on her family.
It makes me wonder if the recent female suicide bomber wasn't trying to buy, with her life, some pitiful scrap of approval from her culture's mysogynist god....

5)If the culture and nation steeped in it is stagnating.
For what it's worth, there is no denying the observed historical fact that the Judeo-Christian nations of the world--- America in particular-- have been surging ahead of the rest of the world in science, industry, medicine, and the advent of protected civil rights and liberties. Christendom has been the kingdom of firsts-- the first to end the ancient practice of slavery, the first to advent the democratic republic, the first to ensure the rights of freedom of speech, press, religion, lawful assembly, petition of grievance...

But the Islamic world has been stuck in the Dark Ages socially, politically, philosophically... and through noone's fault but its own. It savages any progress that tries to creep up on it as "the work of the Great Satan," and proceeds to shoot itself in the foot over and over again....
We're putting men on the moon, and they're putting teenage suicide bombers on the street.
Who's got the philosophical problem here?

Prattle all you like about the past sins of Christianity, and try to equate them to the as-of-yet unended violences and depredations of Islam. But know this, and be damned by the knowledge:

The greatest shame of Christianity is that its followers fail to practice what their religion preaches.

The greatest shame of Islam is that its followers *succeed.*

Heres my response

by Daggertooth
You do realize that you are only describing some of the extremests in islam. It is very unfair to brand an entire religion, and 20% of the worlds population, by it's extremests. There are many in christianity that would look just as bad. Granted the main difference is that many extremests groups in islam actualy have power. Which is a tragic, But it is not by far the entire religion.

Some General Islamic beliefs:
.The supremacy of God's will.
.That Muslims who sincerely repent and submit to God return to a state of sinlessness.
.Total and absolute rejection of racism. All people are considered children of Adam.

Many Practices inclued:
.To donate regularly to charity through zakat. This is a 2.5% charity tax on the income and property of middle and upper class Muslims.

.Jihad (struggle) is probably the most misunderstood religious word in existence. It often mentioned on Western TV and radio during news about the Middle East, where it is implied to be a synonym of "holy war" - a call to fight against non-Muslims in the defense of Islam. The vast majority of Muslims have an entirely different definition of Jihad. It is seen as a personal, internal struggle with one's self. The goal may be achievement in a profession, self-purification, the conquering of primitive instincts or the attainment of some other noble goal.

Islam is often blamed for female genital mutilation. But it is obvious that FGM is grounded in cultural tradition, not religious belief, in those countries where it is practiced. In some countries, the mutilation is practiced by Animists, Christians, and Muslims.

It's tragic that so many non-Muslims are unaware that a moderate wing even exists in Islam. And that this wing is actualy the majority. Though I suppose the media is to blame for that.

The Greatest shame of Religion is it's inability to tolerate one another, and it's tendency to absorbe negative propaganda.

Daggertooth
He responded with this:

by Ralph E. Hays
No, I stated teh observed and written doctrine of the overwhelming majority of followers of the Koran-- backed up by quotes directly from their own holy writings and prophets. The "peaceful" Islamics are the exception, not the rule.Islam vs Jews, Islam vs America, Islam vs Hindus, Islam vs Christians, Islam vs take-your-pick... right now, 8 out of 10 major world conflicts are Islam vs. somebody else
Now I'm actualy in under my head, not knowing islam very well. I might just counter example with passages from the bible that seem to indicate a dedication for violence. But I figure some of you guys might be able to help me out.

Daggertooth

D

DÛke

...that guy is a freak.

First of all, I know many who have read the whole Qur'an -- there is not a world preaching violence in it. Period. So that takes out the whole "Islam preaches violence" notion -- not only that -- it also automatically declares Ralphy-boy as a either a liar, a Christian extremist, or, the least, a very uninformed, uncivilized, and highly uneducated...kid. I suggest he gets an *official* translation of the Qur'an and read it himself, not have it preached to him by someone.

Now since *that* is outta the way so easily...

"Jihad" it the most understood word in existence *ever*. Period. Again, a quick look at what the Qur'an defines it as would clear up a lot of mess. It is *exactly* as you stated it, Daggertooth.

Basically, all those "ifs" he has...are just so pointless. They say nothing, but lead to the fact that it more than evident that he, himself, does not understand Islam, therefore he has to ask "if?". If he truly knows what Islam is about, he would instantly realize that the question is "why?" not a declaration of "if." Anyone who understands Islam would ask "WHY are they doing that?" There has to be a reason, no *matter* what it is...there's a reason.

Ralphy-boy:

Islam treats women like crap.
Wow, finally a declarative sentence! Great! Now, at least, he's talking as if he's sure of himself. Sadly, again, he needs to read the Qur'an himself. I want one, just one, quote where it even *hints* at women being treated unfairly.

*Anyone* who has *any* knowledge about the history of world religions, would know the overly emphasized fact that Muhammad preached the equality of *all* women with men. In fact, a simple reading of Islam would instantly give out that it is the *most* loving religion there is. It is more loving and more tolerant than Christianity even. When I took my world religions class last semester when the 9/11 incident occurred, everyone was surprised how amazing Islam is compared to what our dear beloved CNN has been showing and telling.

As for the Islamic conflicts, I want names. I don't just want..."Islam vs..." No, that's not how it works.

Islam vs. Christians? Does he mean the 9/11? Well, actually, a bit of more insight into the matter, and the observation would sweetly lead to that part of the attack was the demand to take off the sanctions over Iraq, give Palestine its land, and leave Arabia alone....THAT, and then there's the little part about the Islam vs. Christian. The issue in that case is political, not religious.

I bet a quick look on most of these would lead to the same conclusion.

The end.

In conclusion, Ralphy-boy is the most uneducated person I've encountered on the net so far. I think he should go back and do his studies all over again, because he knows nothing...and he who knows nothing, deserves not my attention.

Read the Qur'an if you're interested, it'll answer all your questions. See, when we discussed the Bible and the Qur'an in my world religions class, the Bible was just different stories tied together, basically. The Qur'an, first of all, was all poetic, and it did have stories. For the most part, however, it outlined how an individual should go about living his or her life. Just everything. Not only that, but all those who don't follow Islam or religion, *still* follow what the Qur'an has to say about life and living -- because it makes it so fair and easy. My parents, for example, are the most anti-religious people ever, I can tell you. They don't believe in anything. They still follow some of the rules of the Qur'an though.

By the way, if you have a satellite TV, I suggest you get ART, an Arabic channel. I want you look there, and tell me those are woman being treated unfairly? :) ART is like a much more respectable MTV/Classic Movie channel. Get it for one day, just so you can see how the Arabic worlds have evolved for decades now, it's just the little misconceptions that a lot of people have that make Islam seem like something uncivilized and not so modern...

L

linsivvi

you know, they quote the Qur'an in the flavor text of the card piety...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Being the questioning and argumentative guy that I am, I'd ask him to qualify these statements with facts:

I've gotten some flak for suggesting that, since nearly 100% of the terrorists who have attacked our nation and killed our people over the past 30 years have been Islamic Mideasterners
Specifically, what defines "terrorism" and what are the incidents.

And this:

right now, 8 out of 10 major world conflicts are Islam vs. somebody else
Citing the conflicts specifically. The only one I can think of right now is the Islamics vs Hindus in India and that wan't really a "major world conflict" (and which I think has died down for now anyway).

And citing other religious texts are always dangerous since they can be taken out of context... you could argue the Bible says to take the offending limb but later Jesus says to turn the other cheek...

D

Daggertooth

Well it he's doing it again. Not Sure where he's getting all this stuff, but it would be good if I had some quotes against this. or at least say that the translater was a biased extremest.

by ralph
Volume 4, Book 52, Number 176:
Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:

Allah's Apostle said, "You (i.e. Muslims) will fight with the Jews till some
of them will hide behind stones. The stones will (betray them) saying, 'O
'Abdullah (i.e. slave of Allah)! There is a Jew hiding behind me; so kill
him.' "

Sahih Muslim
Book 019, Number 4366:
It has been narrated by 'Umar b. al-Khattib that he heard the Messenger
of Allah (may peace be upon him) say: I will expel the Jews and
Christians from the Arabian Peninsula and will not leave any but Muslim.

[9:5] But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the
Pagans wherever ye find them, an seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in
wait for them in every stratagem

[Quran 3:140-141]:
"If an injury has touched you, be sure that a similar injury has touched the
enemy. And so these are the days We give to men by turns, that Allaah may
test those who believe and that He may take martyrs from amongst you and
Allaah likes not the transgressors. And that Allaah may purify the believers
and destroy the disbelievers."

[9.29] Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day,
nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Apostle have prohibited, nor
follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book,
until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in
a state of subjection.

Sahih Muslim
The Book of Faith (Kitab Al-Iman)
Book 001, Number 0033:
It has been narrated on the authority of Abdullah b. 'Umar that the
Messenger of Allah said: I have been commanded to fight against people
till they testify that there is no god but Allah, that Muhammad is the
messenger of Allah, and they establish prayer, and pay Zakat and if they
do it, their blood and property are guaranteed protection on my behalf
except when justified by law, and their affairs rest with Allah.

(The prevailing setup throughout the Muslim world. Conquered people not of Islam had to pay Zakat-- a tithe of sorts-- or face obliteration. "Pay your Allah tax or be obliterated, infidel." Muslims got along great with other people--- who were slaves and subject states. This is what is meant by Islamic "peace..." the peace of a world enslaved by Muslims. )

[8.12] When your Lord revealed to the angels: I am with you,
therefore make firm those who believe. I will cast terror into
the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their
heads and strike off every fingertip of them.

[58:5] Those who resist Allah and His Messenger will be crumbled
to dust, as were those before them: for we have already sent down
Clear Signs and the Unbelievers will have a humiliating Penalty

[9.29] Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day,
nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Apostle have prohibited, nor
follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book,
until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in
a state of subjection.

[9.123] O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near
to you and let them find in you hardness; and know that Allah is with
those who guard (against evil).

> Mohammed was quoted as saying
> "I have been ordered to fight with the people
> till they say, none has the right to be worshipped but Allah".
> Al-Bukhari vol: 1:25

Does this sound like a religion of peace to you? If it does, you're in one helluva state of denial.
6 of the 8 major conflicts on the planet right now are between Islamics and--- whoever else happens to be in the way. Islam vs christianity, Islam vs Jews, Islam vs Buddhists, Islam vs Hindu, Islam vs America, Islam vs you-name-it. And for nearly 2,000 years, Islamic holy men have been screaming for the blood of the infidel and the "dirty Jew"-- beginning with the original Islamic holy man, Mohammed himself.... and quoted in their own holy books.

And remember, in the Q'uran, "kafirs" (that's non muslims to you and me) are
not innocent.

Volume 4, Book 52, Number 46:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "The example of a Mujahid in Allah's Cause--
and Allah knows better who really strives in His Cause----is like a person
who fasts and prays continuously. Allah guarantees that He will admit the
Mujahid in His Cause into Paradise if he is killed, otherwise He will return
him to his home safely with rewards and war booty."

***WAR BOOTY.*** Alright? Wrapped your mind around that?

" Jihad... has raged for 1,300 years with bloody conquests in Europe dating from...the 7th century to today's random acts of terrorism in the name of Allah. ... a legacy of brutality vastly more bloody and six times longer in duration than the atrocities of the crusades.

... beginning around 650 c.e. The Islamic Arabs (and later the Moors) occupied a number of the Mediterranean Islands, and invaded Spain and Portugal in 711 c.e., and ruled over much of the Iberian peninsula for the next 800 years. France was attacked and invaded, as was Italy, and the European coasts all the way to Ireland and Iceland. The Muslims swept over the Balkans, besieged Vienna, and were intermittent masters of Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, and Hungary into the 19th century, destroying the Byzantines, taking Constantinople (turning it into Istanbul). Ambitious and unrelenting, the Muslims also sought to conquer Austria, and Russia.

Wouldn't it be incredibly refreshing if, when a religion proclaims that its holy doctrine is genocide and the subjugation of the entire world, the milksops and mush-skulls of the world would summon their remaining scraps of intellect and actually believe it?

Of course I know that this is not true, so my response was:
by me :)
Guess what, anyone can take things out of the bible out of context, mis-quote them, get an expert to translate it different, just to represent christianity the same way as you did Islam. And many people in christianity do. You know, those christians that kill gays, abortionist docters, proclaim aids as a form of punishment, praising the september 11th as Gods acts towards an evil nation,and killing all in the name of God.

Of course these groups by far do not represents christianity at all. It's mearly a minority. Or at least your willing to believe that. But then at the same time Islam has the same conditions, the dynamic way their texts can be translated and interpreted, and the fanatics that believe every extreme translation. Those guys DON'T represent islam as a whole. The majority of Islam is not like that. They are horrified at how those terrorist that, to them, don't even represent islam were able to commit such horrible acts.

20% of the world is not evil, nor do they preach evil or follow evil.

Now this is more of a Rant of sorts. It really pisses me off how all these religious folk spread propaganda against each other not knowing how wrong they are. And its not only one against the other, its each little denomination against each other little denomination. Each one saying that their little translation of their specific religious text is the only way to see things. That this objective truth condemns the rest of the world.

Now I know not everyone thinks like this. But is seems to be getting a more popular attitude. Even if a person isn't a fanatic they have opinions based in false propaganda.

I don't know why this stuff bugs the hell out of me. I should be able to sit by and just let the religious destroy themselves. But for some reason I feel compelled to stop misconseptions when I see them. It bugs me more than it should...the hating...the killing..the propaganda.....afterall, don't they all believe in the same God?

Maby as an Athiest I just can't see their point of view. Maby there is something worth hating for........

Daggertooth

D

DÛke

Well, all I can say is that men like him are the ones that pollute the world, and make us hate each other.

You know what? Those quotes are lies. I've read English versions of the Qur'an, there isn't even such a thing! They're not words out of context...they're words without a meaning, they have no context within the Qur'an to begin with! Maybe he's talking about another religion or something...I dunno...

I think you should stop talking to that man, because he's lying and he's obviously uneducated. He needs to read a couple of versions of the Qur'an for *himself* for once...

Again, those quotes are *not* from the Qur'an...