DnD 3.5

M

mythosx

Im interested spidey.

Ok here's the first question.

How in the world do you read that Challenge Rating table?? Here's my scenario. Me and my friends fight a Zodack challange rating of 8 or 9 or used to be. I take its head in one slash. Next encounter was just one level higher. water elemental i believe. Royally thrashes use. Takes our equipment as loot and our party wakes up later naked and helpless. What's the dealee-O?

D

DarthFerret

The Challenge Rating in the new 3.5 system is also up to DM's interpretation. I could not find the creature you mentioned in the 3.5 books I have, but remember the game also is about random chance affecting everything...

It is possible (although highley unlikely) that a group of 1st level characters can defeat a 9 challenge rating monster and a 9th level party could be defeated by a 1st level Orc. But, this is not gonna happen most of the time, and a DM that is on the ball should not allow the dice to have that much control of the game. A few specifics would be in order, to define what happened to your party. And if you were defeated, why were the characters still alive? (if the DM is gonna pull an out the butt, do it all the way, not half measures, unless it lies within his future plans...)

Ferret

Staff member
My biggest problems were that they found out that a lot of the rules were being exploited and they changed the way the rules were played - My goodness! WotC changed rules that were being abused - unheard of! I had a character that would cast maximized Bull's Strengths on my fighter (herself), Cat's Grace on my thief, and Owl's Wisdom on my Cleric. When it could last nearly all day it was great. Now, it won't even last a full combat...annoyance!

-Ferret

"...of course, I still think that 2nd Edition was a bad idea..."

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

I could answer questions, I'm an avid 3.5er. And I'm with Chaos Turtle..there is nothing I like more than roleplaying. I love my characters to have depth.

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Azreal the Soulmaster
I could answer questions, I'm an avid 3.5er. And I'm with Chaos Turtle..there is nothing I like more than roleplaying. I love my characters to have depth.
A character can have depth in any gaming system. It's not about the stats they have, but the way they are played by the player. The simplicity of AD&D (1st ed) forced the players to have to "flesh out" their characters instead of falling back on table after table of statistics...

-Ferret

"...and don't even get me started about Rifts..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So that's two interested in a Basic D&D game... I'm going to start a thread in Games Run so not to clutter up this one anymore.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

thats what I was trying to express Ferret, I like to "flesh out" my character so I can roleplay him extremely well. the game isn't fun for me unless I can really get into my character. Which is probably why I end up spending a week writing background info for my dudes.

Ferret

Staff member
thats what I was trying to express Ferret, I like to "flesh out" my character so I can roleplay him extremely well. the game isn't fun for me unless I can really get into my character. Which is probably why I end up spending a week writing background info for my dudes.
Sweet. Back in late '87 (around the time Forgotten Realms was released) I was playing w/ this group in Atlanta. Roleplaying was everything to us. Stats were nice and occasionaly we'd actually open a book - but, for the most part we would just spend hours talking, passing notes to the DM and doing all kinds of nifty stuff that didn't involve opening our dice bags...

-Ferret

"Most intense three hours of my life: The trial of a party member..."

C

Chaos Turtle

Yeah that's how we used to play. I DM'd a group where we pretty much just made it up as we went along. We'd only bust out the dice for combat or the use of thief abilities.

People can come up with some pretty creative solutions to encounters if you just let them. Making stuff up on the fly was fun for me, as well. The players liked to keep me on my toes.

(This was during the 2nd Edition times, by the way. We didn't let complex rules get in the way of our fun.)

T

train

I like the fly by the seat of your pants mentality...

and I like rolling dice...

M

mythosx

ok

Here is another one. For class requirements as far as alignment is involved. Can you switch to another alignment after you aquired levels in that class and you want to multi-class if there are no penalties involved for not being a certain alignment (i.e. monk, barbarian, or paladin and the likes.)?

D

DarthFerret

By the rules, yes you can.

As for my gaming group, if your character can spontaneously switch alignments without experiencing a good reason, they were never really playing with thier original alignment.

In most peoples lives, it generally takes a MAJOR event to totally turn around thier morals, and thier opinion of law vs. chaos.

If you have characters that constantly switch alignments, then the players are just looking for the quickest means to "Monty Hall" thier characters, and not looking to develope thier personalities, and to me, this takes away from the fun.

C

Chaos Turtle

Well, you can change your alignment, but note that you lose your paladin abilities if you ever become anything other than lawful good. Also, if you take levels in anything other than monk, you are longer alowed to advance as a monk, unless the new class allows it.

Myt gnome paldin, for example, can never be a bard (a specifically non-lawful class), since I would have to give up not only the ability to advance as a paladin, but all of my paladin class abilities as well. (Sad, actually, I think a gnome bard-paladin would be pretty cool.)

Anyway, if I was your DM, I wouldn't allow you to just up and change your alignment without a really really good reason. I expect that most DMs would feel the same way.

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by mythosx
ok

Here is another one. For class requirements as far as alignment is involved. Can you switch to another alignment after you aquired levels in that class and you want to multi-class if there are no penalties involved for not being a certain alignment (i.e. monk, barbarian, or paladin and the likes.)?
I don't believe that alignments should be just something you change one day. It's a part of you - However, I believe that the behaviour of your character can change your alignment:

Example1: A Paladin goes on a psycho killing spree slaughtering a village - that would be a definite swing toward evil and maybe chaos.

Example2: A Monk uses his abilities to rob a merchant - swinging toward Chaos.

Example3: A Barbarian decides to run for office in a village - that is swinging toward Lawful.

Just waking up one day and saying "Today, I feel Lawful Evil. I think I'll start doing devious things" when the day before you were Chaotic Good Ranger is not something I'd allow...

-Ferret

"Yes, son, we understand what you're saying, but have you ever thought about not being Neutral?"

C

Chaos Turtle

Example #1 is a good start for qualifying for the Blackguard prestige class!:eek:

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Chaos Turtle
Example #1 is a good start for qualifying for the Blackguard prestige class!:eek:
Too true - however, one has to be very delicate when playing an evil character in worlds where Good characters do most of the work...

-Ferret

"I tried to play a hardcore evil character w/ the group I mentionned before, and she was exectuted (by the party) for being true to her alignment..."

C

Chaos Turtle

I don't find evil PCs to be much fun, except maybe lawful evil ones. At least they seem have "reasons" for their actions. (They sure make good villains.)

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

The key to being a great evil player in a group of goody goodies. Is to make yourself too valuble to lose. thats why evil clerics are awesome

Ferret

Staff member
The key to being a great evil player in a group of goody goodies. Is to make yourself too valuble to lose. thats why evil clerics are awesome
That was the problem my Evil Cleric had. She worshipped a Lawful Evil deity and all was going well in the undead-infested castle (Ravenloft) we were trying to clean out when one of the players decided to bring in his annoying Paladin/Cleric character. She was a pompous slut (literaly) that was trying to push the rest of the party around. My character tolerated her, but the Paladin/Cleric got herself stuck in a tower surounded by Wights that she couldn't turn. She decided to dive out the window and called for divine intervention so instead of hitting the rocks below she just hit some shallow water. She took some rather nasty damage and was on death's door when the rest of the party found her. My character was all set to let her die when the rest of the party pleaded to have my character heal her. My character obliged, but her god said that a price would have to be paid later...

...when later rolled around the party was hiding in a cave from angry villagers - it turns out that they didn't like Half-Elves very much (the Paladin - not my character. She was a Drow, but she kick their tails if necessary) and my PC's god ordered her to kill a lesser cleric in the party. No problem. A little poison does wonders. When the rest of the party saw what happened they were a little miffed. She justified the action by stating that on that day a good cleric was going to die. Given the choices which one do you think was more apt to help the party?

Later, my character ran into the Paladin to see how she was recovering from her wounds and the ungrateful twit actually threatened my character's life. My character left the party taking her new boyfriend (a half-elven thief) with her. Later, she plotted revenge by going back to the castle and taking control over most of the undead. The vampires had long since been killed, so the rest was pretty simple. She also hired an assassin to pose as another Paladin to lure the party to the castle. All was going well until an invading army decided that they wanted the castle for their own. The original party and the ones that were forced out decided to hold their differences aside for a while to deal w/ the oncoming army. A massive battle between the army of the living (led by a rather annoying necromancer) and my party's army of undead raged. Eventually, the party was holed up in the catacombs while my cleric was locked in a struggle to maintain control of the undead w/ the necro.

During this time, the Paladin found a potion of undead control and decided to sneak five gouls to paralyze my cleric so that she could control the undead, but still be subdued (not very Paladin-like in my opinion.) My character opened her eyes in time to see the betrayal and destroyed the gouls on the spot and sent a trio of spectres after the treacherous paladin (there's a phrase you don't see that often).

In the confusion one of the dead cleric's friends decided to take a cheap shot at my cleric - breaking her concentration and setting loose all of the undead on them. My cleric's boyfriend promptly backstabbed my cleric's assailant removing him from the party - permanently - and snuck her out of the castle. When the paladin's cavalier sidekicked learned about the spectres, he ko'd my cleric and they dragged her somewhere safe...

...when my cleric came to she was bound and the rest of the party held a "trial" where each character questionned her on her actions. She remained true to her alignment and explained on how things are done among people that follow their deities correctly - as opposed to some "Mighty Paladins" that prefer to let undead do their dirty work for them (she used the term "Mighty Paladin" alot which not only pissed off the paladin, but her player as well). In the end the party voted to execute my character (with the exception of her boyfriend, of course). They administered a simple poison which put her to sleep and then a rather lethal poison to snuff her life. The paladin was not satisfied w/ this result, though (even though anyone could tell she was truly dead) and be-headed my character's corpse...

...what really made me mad about this (aside from losing a great character) was the fact that the Paladin suffered no shifts in alignment or loss of abilities.

As a result, I've always had a sour taste when I see paladins because I'm reminded of this rather traumatic experience...but, still evil characters can rock if played correctly...

-Ferret

"Oh come now, would you have done any different, O Mighty Paladin?"

M

mythosx

thanks for the answers guys....

My example was never so extreme. I was a monk (lawful) that needed to add the warlock (either chaotic or evil). Since I wanted to stay good I had to jump ship.

Anyone have any expierence with the new base class warlock?