DnD 3.5

M

mythosx

Any one play this thing? I have a mountain of rules questions.

J

jorael

Yeah I used to. It's a great game when you a have regular group of people. Unfortunately my group fell apart (everybody is too busy: they began working, are graduating or moved).

Did you play 3.0 before 3.5?

The faq at the official site (www.wizards.com) are essential to read.

Before I stopped playing I visited the 3EBB forums for questions and inspiration: http://p222.ezboard.com/b3ebb85430.

That may help you out. If you still have questions I may be able to help you. I only have the 3.5 PHB. I had too much 3.0 to buy it all again. I do have some digital versions of the DMG and MM but haven't read them (long live .pdf and p2p programs :)).

D

DarthFerret

Between me and my roomies, we have all the 3.0 and 3.5 hardback books. Plus I personally own all the hardbacks from 1st and 2nd ed. AD&D and I have the original box set for Basic Dungeons and Dragons (Before 1st ed.)

I can usually help with any rules questions. Plus, there is a phone number in the Players Handbook that goes to WOTC customer service and they are really good at interpreting any rules that are in question.

If you need my help, pm me and I will respond when I have an answer!

R

Reverend Love

From what I understand they fixed a lot of the feats. Balanced some classes who were prone to munchkining* (Ranger), and some other mox nix stuff. I think there were some tweaks to attacks of opportunity as well. All in all nothing too big... I think.

*These tweaks angered me, I'm all about Munchkining. I was the guy dual wielding Scimitars not because I like Drizzt Do'Urden (I hate him in fact), but because their threat range is the best in the game. When combined with the Improved Critical feat and some others, a properly built fighter can get 4 attacks every round criticaling on a 16-20. Chances are something is going down. Especially when your a Half-Orc 20 strength character.

I'm alll about the hack and slash baby. All I spend my loot on is ALE AND WHORES!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I used to play 3.0 until my group fell apart too (otherwise we'd probably be playing 3.5). I also have the Basic D&D (red cover), Expert, AND Companion (but not Master, our characters never got that far :) )

M

mythosx

I played 3.0 before this. Pissed about the price gouging and forcing of paying for patches...in software terms these changes would be patches which are supposed to be free. ok.

Anyone know anything about the book of exalted deeds?

D

DarthFerret

Spiderman, When I said I had the box set, I actually meant the whole kit and kaboodle. Basic, Expert, Companion, and Masters. I never played any of them, because I had already started 1st Advanced, but found them cheap from a college buddy, so have them still. Not much use, but pretty to look at.

C

Chaos Turtle

I play. I can answer questions, but keep in mind I only get to visit here a couple of times per week.

I take it "munchkining" is what we old fellers used to call min/maxing? I hate it, it's cheesy. Takes away from the role-playing experience.

R

Reverend Love

Chaos Turtle

Yea, it replaced min/maxing a while ago. There's actually a quirky little Steve Jackson game called Munchkin. Great stuff.

I share the opposite opinion. That's why I never play with role players.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
DarthFerret: Cool. I got a little confused since each "rulebook" came in its own box (at least they did when I bought them way back).

I started looking for the adventure modules for nostalgia since I was missing a couple from the B and X series, but found out that they're almost collector's items and rather "expensive" (at least I consider them so). And those Gazette thingies... :)

mythosx: Did you ever get your questions answered? I guess at the WOTC website?

D

DarthFerret

Spidey, you did get the adventure module that came in the expert box set right? I have one other adventure module, but it is packed up at the moment and I cannot tell you what it is. If I can locate it, will let you know.

BTW does anyone in Texas have a group that is needing a D&D 3.0 or 3.5 player? My old group broke apart when everyone started wanting to be something really odd, ya know like a half ogre/half golem, Fighter, Monk, Ranger. I felt like I was the only one saying: "Does anyone mind if I play a human magic user?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, X1, the Isle of Dread. Brings back memories... I have a couple other Xs... X4 & X5 and X10, the massive war one (which I never got to play or DM... :( )

D

DarthFerret

Spidey, do you think we could run the module you couldn't play right here on the message board? I think that would be great!!

I know, it is basic edition, but I think it would be fun to travel back in time to when the game was simple!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I actually tried running a Basic game a couple of years back, you can see what happened here. I kinda modified it a bit just because people weren't used to the "restrictions" that the rules used back then. It kinda died out - never really found out why, but I guess they got bored with it (meaning I might not be the best choice for a GM ;) )

D

DarthFerret

Even if we don't go with Basic D&D rules, do you think anyone would be interested in running an online game here at the CPA?

I know that I am not the most creative DM, therefore I do not feel I am qualified to be the one running the game, although I would happily participate as a player character!

C

Chaos Turtle

I guess that's what makes it such a great game; something for everybody! (Except jocks, I guess.):cool:

Now I think I'll close my eyes and reminisce about the good old days of Basic/Expert/Master D&D.
Ahhhh....

R

Reverend Love

Chaos

Yea, it's a fairly deep system. Unlike Vampire the Masquerade, which is more or less a story based system. I’ am however a minority of the munchkin variety. For me, the best levels of D&D are 1-9. Where a well ran adventure using goblins, a smattering of Orcs and an Ogre can be quite challenging. Monty Python hauls of loot, or simply overpowering PCs is super boring.

But I'd have to say if I REALLY wish to power munchkin, nothing beats Rifts. A GURPS based character loaded up with disadvantages for the extra character points comes close. But there is no other joy to be found like that of a mega damage character in Rifts.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm willing to run another Basic/Expert game since I have all the rules for it and am more familiar with it than the D&D system today (if I had the GM book I'd try to run one of those). However, if that happens and you guys don't mind, I'd like to run a module since the info is there and cuts down on the time preparation.

D

DarthFerret

Just list the thread, or if you want to do it in the "unused chatroom" list its addy, and the date/time and I will be there, dont know about anyone else. Lookin Forward to it. Might post a list of the rules for Basic, because, I think you and I are the only ones that have the books!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I wanna get some more people committed first. I don't have any time for the chatroom so it'll have to be through the forums.

So anyone else interested?