Did you ever do an IQ test?

D

DÛke

...studies revolve around ESP. I don't know what thought channeling is...ESP is Telepathy, Psychokinesis, Precognition, and Clairvoyance.
The way I envision it is the ability to definitively hear another's thoughts. No ambiguity on what the other mind is saying.
I'll have to disagree. ESP is a very, very sensitive subject...one that's very obscure, and "unproven".

Suppose you're a genius at math, lets say. They bet you to take an extremely hard examination of math, which covers everything you know. Your prize is anything that is very important to you.

It's not problem for ya, ye'll take the dang test and get that thing you've always wanted...right? Wrong. With such offer, usually a person would panic. Some even will not admit it...this is pressure...you're abilities, no matter how good, will drop. This pressure is really hard to dodge...(I would say "impossible", but I believe everything is possible.)

For the same reason, ESP has not been proven. It occurs on random basis – usually the basis of deep relaxation. Though, most people are just in love with the mystic of its existence, some strive to find any phenomenon...but some...have experienced it, and truly believe in it. It can't be proven because it happens on "random" basis, but it does happen, and there are no other explanations.

Random is fragile, but after many experiences by the same person, does it really matter that it's random? It's there - and that's all that matter. Controlling it is another story.

I hope you people don't think we live in a 100% logical world. You think there's no phenomena of any sort out there that's actually real?

ESP is one thing...and I'm really lookin' forward to studying it further than I already have.

H

Hawaiian mage

DUke, we live in a 100% logical world. But you can't solve something you don't understand through logic...

This reminds me of a cool quote from a while back, "Magic is just science we don't understand."
So true... Of course all those "How magic really works" shows kind of ruined that, but still...

D

DÛke

What's logic, and what is not?

Jumping, then falling back to the ground is logic?

Gravity?

Flying?

What is logic?

Exactly.

Ok, ok...going in light speed? It WILL be possible you know.

Goin' in light speed means going back in time.

Is that logic? Sir Einstein said it himself. EVERYTHING he said, after being successfully done, was proven true. He said that traveling at light speed means going back in time. We don’t have the right tools or the abilities to work such experiments (yet), but when we do, I doubt that Sir Einstein is wrong.

Does that sound logical - going back in time? Does that even make sense?

Exactly.

You can't explain "logic" until you've seen everything in this universe; I doubt that you have…and with this world being as big as it is...I doubt everything is made of logic…there’s an “error†somewhere.

T

terzarima

Originally posted by Salacious Crumb
Telepathy is everywhere. It is in the rock, in the tree. ESP flows around you.

Hoipa
Hehe, sounds like someone watched "Star wars" One to many a time.

Anyway, I also seriously beleive in such things as; ESP, Psychokinesis, Clairivoyance, and my personal favorite, Pyrokinesis. My friend (An insane math freak with insane abilities [note: friend is 4:11 and is self-sacrificing in sports and everything... crazy] ) told me, if we could control half of our brain at one time, we could change the direction the earth was going in. Ain't that an interesting thought?

Yes, when I (Master of hippyism) was looking through www.avatarsearch.com , I can upon many a thing about practices to develop psychic powers (Among pagan pages, witchcraft, and many other a thing) which I have no idea if they work or not, you'll have to find out yourself.

But I agree with a thing someone else said, it would have to be finly tuned, practiced and worked upon.

H

Hawaiian mage

DUke, I think what Alby was saying is in order to go that fast you would need time to slow down for you to accomplish it. Assuming light IS the fasting thing in the universe, this is true. Of course the teachers at my school wont actually explain it to us, but I'm pretty sure that's what he ment. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ademis, your friend was talking about how you use only 10% of your brain, correct? Well that's a missconception. You only use 10% of your brain at any one given moment, but you use almost all of it through the course of one day. People say that all that brain power we can't use is where all the psychic stuff is, but there really isn't much we don't use. Any one can use these powers, you just have to learn how, and since very few people can even do it by accedent it's hard to really figure it out.

H

Hetemti

"...in order to go that fast you would need time to slow down for you..."

LOL

Let's say you have a rubber ruler. Your pickle is 3½ inces long. If you smush the ruler together, does the pickle shrink to 5¼? Mr. Rubber Ruler sez so. But you'd probably say no. Why? Because your wooden ruler still says 3½. And, surprisiningly enough, it'll fit the same bun it did before you stretched the ruler. The letuce, mustard, and other condements will be happy to see pickle's return.

I hope you see that ALL THINGS ARE RELITIVE. If you "slow down" time, you don't go any faster. You don't go any slower. The only way to define "slower time" is by having "normal time" to compare it to.
Sushing the ruler didn't make the pickle any bigger. You propose to smush the ruler to make your pickle look longer, but, in the time/space proposal, the ruler and the pickle are connected. Smush one and the other one smushes with it. Therefore, why bother to smush? You must first be able to transend your pickle to the Dimention of Wood rulers, smush the rubber ruler, then insert your pickle into the Rubber World it resided in before. Now, your three inch pickle truly became longer.

I hope I included enough imagery for the sub-160-IQers to try to follow along. :p

T

terzarima

Hawiian, didn't I say in my paragraph, AT THE SAME TIME? Hmm, I did, you should look over it.

Hetemti, I agree, all things are relative. When my broter asked me what was time (My brother is 17), he said it was standarized to fit us, which it is. In my mind's eye, Time is a sequence of events, which fit together in an infinite mesh, which, until technology (And comprehension) allows us, is beyond our reach.

I

Istanbul

Precognition does exist.

I've had my own experiences with it, as far as two years into the future.
I've had other experiences as well, with shorter time frames.

There is more on heaven and earth, Horatio, than is dreamt of in your philosophies.

Killer Joe

If you're so smart, then how come the spelling sucks around here!? ;)
Isty is right, IQ tests are really measurements of one's POTENTIAL. I am more successful than my IQ test indicated. There should be a post IQ test at age 36 that measures against your IQ test from your teen years.
Actually, the S.A.T.'s, are just that, a measurement of your potential. I got into a private university with NO S.A.T. score, at all!

D

DÛke

...its evoking by accident could the beginning of it, if you pay attention. Precognition happens to me a lot, but by complete accident. I only had control over it one time, and it was in a short time fram. This "controlled" experience lead me to believe that Deja Vu is not just a "dream". I actually realized I was in a Deja Vu, and I got up quickly, and wrote down what was going to happen. In about a minute later, EVERYTHING I wrote down happened...to the last detail. I about cried. It was a psychic prediction right there, and it was successful.

ALL of us have experienced Deja Vu, and believe me, it's not just a "something"...it's precognition at it's best (for now anyway).

Me and Telepathy, however...we're freinds. It happends by accident too...however, these accidents happen repeatedly, I would say an average of 1 time per 3-4 days.

...and I think Istabul is being sarcastic.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Physical reality and its rules are only in your mind. If you can escape it, you can do anything that would be perceived as abnormal in that simplistic reality, because you don't have those rules governing you.

The idea of some universal awareness as it is shown in Star Wars and the like, as some force you can use to affect other things, is somewhat flawed, IMHO. The thought that you have to learn to be proficient in use of the rules of physical reality and the rules of the Force seems wrong. Rather, the opposite is true. Physical reality is a restrictive microcosm of actual "reality," and you must learn to forget your dependence on physical reality to harness the infinite wisdom of true reality. Things like ESP, déjà vu (literally French for "already seen"), and clairvoyance are attempts to "think outside the box" in a true sense, by breaking out of our self-imposed exile.

Even popular science is becoming more and more used to this (albeit incredibly slowly), because of the advent of quantum physics, which, if you think about it, is rather similar to this (especially the many-worlds theory, which I don't have enough time to accurately explain here).

Telepathy vs. Mind Channeling:
It seems to me that Telepathy is merely two-way mind channeling. Therefore, it would only require one telepath and another with enough of an open mind (figuratively) to accept that telepathy is possible for it to be possible.

In case any of you are finding this a little too hard to digest, pick up a book or two by Kurt Vonnegut (preferably The Sirens of Titan, Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse Five (not just an anti-war novel, so don't get scared away), or Timequake).

Don't expect to "get it" immediately; I still haven't.

T

terzarima

What do french people say when they experiance "Deja vu". Do they say, "Hey, this already happened"
-The confused Philosopher

I don't want HW to come back in here and star blabbing about the 5 pure mathamatical dimensions (What thread was that in? Something about his signature once). But you're saying that our actual reality is more like a rubber band (analogie)that you can bend, if, and when you learn to realize that this isn't "real"?

So to tie this in with magic. Are you saying we all have the capabilities to be (geekism coming up) Planeswalkers? Such as controlling the physical characteristics of, not only our body but the stuff around us? Makes sense to me :)

D

DÛke

...I wouldn't have a hard time believing the "planeswalking" thing; however, there's not even a discussion that's about such abilities.

ESP, however, has been an issue discussed a lot. There were countless experiments that proved negative...but ESP is a mystic...we don't have the right mindset to obtain the full ability, that's why it's so unpredictable. I assume that it's hard to control ESP (for now), that's why science can't tolerate it.

Thallid Ice Cream Guy says it really well. There are all kind of things that we don't know yet. The world is great, there are many things we haven't discovered, and surely some of these things may be unacceptable to our current minds...but many things were seen "unacceptable", things that "just wouldn't be right"...things that are "out of this world", "out of this nature"...

...Surely over time we'll discover something that's great. ESP isn't needed right now, but with the changing environment, humans will need more than just our hands and legs...we'll need much more in order to survive. We'll need many things. Many things WILL come...and we'll change, and we'll survive...and the cycle shall continue.

I believe the current unpredictability of ESP is like a hint about what's to come. It exists, and I must say that I'm sure about it.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by DÛke

...and I think Istabul is being sarcastic.
You're incorrect. Via dreams, I've foreseen things I couldn't have possibly known as far as two years in advance, with crystal clarity.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Istanbul: I don't know, but I think maybe he thought you were being sarcastic because of your quotation from Shakespeare.

Ademis22: Yup. (more geekism coming up) In fact, if you cared that much, you could do some stupid Hollywood type-thing, by beating that jock who beats you up and stealing his girl(slight tongue-in-cheek comment there:))... but of course whether or not you do is up to you.

H

Hawaiian mage

Hetemti, don't make fun of me! I'm 14 years old! From what you've said at other times, I've only had a functional brain for about 3 years...

Ademis, sorry I misread your post. Just most people I've met have thought that, so I got used to it.

And now, Deja-vu (screw the little ` things, I'm not lookin' up the codes for 'em.) That kind of psychic power really confuses me. I have expirianced it before, seeing something in a dream and forgetting about it, just to see it later and recall it as a memory you never remember expiriancing...

Well all I can say is a psychic prediction for anything farther into the future then 1/100 of an addosecond can never be accurate. If you know something is going to happen, then you have the ability to change it. If you can change it, then the prediction probably wont come true. Psychic powers imply that there is such thing as fate, but at the same time it proves there isn't.
In short, those psychic hotlines really are fake...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You guys have gotten beyond me, but just to revisit and answer Hawaiian Mage, upon re-reading my post it does seem unclear. TICM said it best: Telepathy is probably a two-way mind/thought channeling.

T

terzarima

You know, I beleive that the psychic powers we have affect the society unconsiously. Many times, at the back of my mind I think "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if..." and the thing happens. Its happened 4 or 5 times in the past couple months. So I beleive we can't contrrol our "psychic" powers untill we have control over our onconsiousnessnessness. I don't know, but (emphamsis on geekism) that planesalker idea is a good one. Urza doesn't need to sleep, nor do much anything, he needs only to concentrate. So.... we should stop breathing and moving and become like Urza :)

Killer Joe

During my youth, I traveled all across the country with several Drum & Bugle Corps and we would travel all night & day to get to our show sites. I have seen many images of small & big towns, mountains, plains, the Redwood Foests, heck, we even traveled along the California Coast (I-1).
So, I have experenced many De Ja Vu's but I could never help thinking that maybe I REALLY had been there before. The other thing is that I once read somewhere that it is possible to experience "Instant De Ja Vu" where the mind does a little 'skip' and you think it's de ja vu but really you just experenced the feeling a second ago.
Does that make sense?
ESP or just been together a long time?
Yesterday, I was watching the kids and my wife went to work. At about 11:15 or so I picked up the phone to dial her and she was on the phone already, weird, huh? The problem is that we've done this before.
Other things have happened with us like we'll say the exact same thing at the exact same time with no common stimulus (meaning an event or action).
With my children, I feel like I can read their mind but maybe that comes with the territory of being a parent.

C

Chaos Turtle

Click Here For Fun With Monkeys

By the way, the deja vu phenomenon is very common.
My theory is that it's related to the fact that all of time exists simultaneously, but going into it right now would only confuse me (playing too much Black & White and Baldur's Gate II).