Dead Man's Treasure

E

EricBess

Yep. That ends the game since Captain Flint has returned to his starting island. The rest of the cards flip face up, except for Oversoul's bomb on island 7, which detonates harmlessly.

So, here's how it breaks down:
Code:
1) 3 3 1 CF f7 c4
Island 1 - no points earned since Captain Flint makes off with the treasure. That move may have cost Spiderman 4 point and Ransac 3, but I think we'll see soon that there was a reason for this...
Code:
2) 4 5 4 BG e1 f3 g6 c6 f5
Island 2: Spiderman wins the island with 8, followed by Ransac, DarthFerret, and Turgy, in that order. Note that Ransac and DarthFerret both had 6, so we go back an Island and Ransac's 4 on Island 1 give him the nod over DF.
Spiderman - 10 (Thanks to Ben Gunn)
Ransac - 5
DarthFerret - 4
Turgy - 4
Code:
3) 4 4 4 .. a5 e2 b1 d7
4-points each for Oversoul, Limited, and turgy. Sorry sageridder, you're 1 just doesn't cut it here.
Spiderman - 10
Turgy - 8
Ransac - 5
DarthFerret - 4
Oversoul - 4
Limited - 4
Code:
4) 7 4 4 .. b4 d2 b5 d5 a1 c7
The 7 goes to sageridder (9) and the 4s for Oversoul and Ransac (7). Tie goes to Oversoul, but they are worth the same anyway.
Spiderman - 10
Ransac - 9
Turgy - 8
Oversoul - 8
sageridder - 7
DarthFerret - 4
Limited - 4
Code:
5) 4 6 5 .. a2 f4 f2 e3
Everyone gets something here. 6 for Spiderman (6), 5 for turgy (3) and 4 for Limited (2).
Spiderman - 16
Turgy - 13
Ransac - 9
Oversoul - 8
Limited - 8
sageridder - 7
DarthFerret - 4
Code:
6) 5 5 7 .. c5 b7 d6 a7
7 goes to Limited, thanks to his Island 5 play. 5s for sageridder and Oversoul.
Spiderman - 16
Limited - 15
Turgy - 13
Oversoul - 13
sageridder - 12
Ransac - 9
DarthFerret - 4
Code:
7) 4 5 7 .. e6 g1 c2 b2
7 for turgy, 5 for Ransac and 4 for sageridder. Again, a tie-breaker situation and Ransac's play on Island 6 secures the extra point.
Turgy - 20
Spiderman - 16
sageridder - 16
Limited - 15
Ransac - 14
Oversoul - 13
DarthFerret - 4
Code:
8) 6 4 7 .. a6 g7 e7 e5 f1
turgy with the 7, DarthFerret a 6 and the 4 for Limited (with a 6). Spiderman's 1 gets him nothing, but it did what I believe he was trying to do in getting him Ben Gunn.

Final results:
Turgy - 27
Limited - 19
Spiderman - 16
sageridder - 16
Ransac - 14
Oversoul - 13
DarthFerret - 10

I hope I didn't mess anything up. Look it over and if there is anything I missed or that doesn't make sense, let me know.

E

EricBess

And contratulations to turgy. Looking back on the board, it seems like he managed to make every one of his plays pay off.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's what I was trying to do. Congrats turgy22! I have to admit I didn't quite understand how to play in the beginning so I'm happy with third. :)

turgy22

Nothing Special
Good game, gentlemen.

And thanks, especially, Spiderman for ending the game when you did. I did a rough count before playing my last card and figured I'd get between 25-27 points (depending on Oversoul's card on Island 7) and that seemed like quite a bit. I was mostly worried about Limited and thought he'd have a chance to nab both Ben Gunn and the big treasure on Island 8 if the game went on much longer.

And thanks, EricBess for introducing and running the game. I thought it was a lot of fun. We should keep it in the rotation.

L

Limited

Congrats Turgy!

I like this game. It has some nice interactions, especially considering the simplicity of the setup.

I might actually buy this game :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
EricBess said:
Turgy - 27
Limited - 19
Spiderman - 16
sageridder - 16
Ransac - 14
Oversoul - 13
DarthFerret - 10
Notice that I am ahead of DarthFerret, who is at the bottom of the list? Foreshadowing of events to come in the singleton everycard draft...

E

EricBess

Glad everyone enjoyed it. I was concerned that it was getting a bit bogged down with so many people, not in terms of play time, but just that it would be hard to play much strategy because so many other people were playing between each of your plays. In the end, though, I think that worked out okay.

Watching the game, I did realize that there is probably a good reason why the treasures are set up in the distribution they were. I randomly did treasures and ended up with very few low-value treasures. I think when we do this again, I'll still do the treasures based on a die-roll, but will make sure that there are a better assortment of low and high values.

Seeing how the game progressed, I think everyone felt a little like Spiderman at first, just trying to figure out what the implications of their play was, but I got the impression later on that everyone was starting to figure that out.

I was a bit surprised that turgy didn't try to end the game one turn sooner, but I guess he wasn't as confident about island 8 as he wanted to be and/or suspected the bomb. :D

E

EricBess

Oversoul said:
Notice that I am ahead of DarthFerret, who is at the bottom of the list? Foreshadowing of events to come in the singleton everycard draft...
You're going to be second-to-last there also :D:eek::D

D

DarthFerret

Well, Oversoul, you are probably right, but that just means I had more fun with it than everyone else right?

S

sageridder

Way to go Turgy. Nobody even close to you guess we got plundered. I liked it should be a game added to the lot we play. Couple of questions. Do you guys think it might lag less if the person that plays last pm's the next player so they don't miss it when it drops down in the threads? Ericbess looking at the rules online the game ends when either pirate gets back to thier start island. Was that just an oversight, or was it to simplify for online play? It would seem to add more to the strategy with another way to win. If I was to suggest a tweek to make it more interesting it would be to get rid of bombs, and make them cannons. When thier cannon gets fliped up they can kill any card, or maybe any face down card if that's to strong.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, dopey that I am, I finally figured out that whoever had the most points on the island got to pick the treasures first. Initially I was just trying to move Captain Flint to the island with all the sevens initially on it :)

We can try the PMing next player thing, although I thought it went pretty smoothly. I didn't Sticky it because I felt it was regularly updated AND apparently, Sticky threads don't show up in the New/Latest Posts option, which some people check only.

turgy22

Nothing Special
EricBess said:
I was a bit surprised that turgy didn't try to end the game one turn sooner, but I guess he wasn't as confident about island 8 as he wanted to be and/or suspected the bomb. :D
Honestly, I hadn't even considered that there might be a bomb there. I kind of forgot about them during the game, until DF's went off.

The reason I didn't try to end the game was because I thought Limited would have won at that point. I didn't actually count up the points, but he would have gotten a whole chunk for Ben Gunn being on Island 3 (since I knew his card was higher than mine) and he would have gotten the 2nd highest card on Island 5, since only he and Spidey were there. That's why I decided to undercut his card on Island 5, giving me the 2nd prize there and hope that the game went on long enough to slide BG off of Island 3 and onto one with harmless players, such as DF and Oversoul ;). Also, I expected someone else to try to end the game, so it was in my best interest to maximize my points.

Looking back, I don't even think the decision was close. Even assuming that DF hadn't planted a bomb, my points would have ended somewhere between 19-22. Limited was looking somewhere between 23-34, so I literally had no shot. With the play on Island 5, I raised my range to 24-27 and dropped Limited's by 1, so at least we overlapped. Of course, Limited still had the upper hand at that point, so it was in his best interest to end the game. Luckily, DF's bomb completely blew (pun intended) any chance he had to solidify the win.

E

EricBess

sageridder said:
Ericbess looking at the rules online the game ends when either pirate gets back to thier start island. Was that just an oversight, or was it to simplify for online play?
I thought it was just Captain Flint. I don't remember for sure how we did it IRL, but I just double-checked the rules I have and you are correct, it is supposed to end when either pirate reaches their starting island.

That actually makes more sense. The game seemed to end a bit more often due to Captain Flint making the rounds than due to everyone playing out, so having either pirate end the game makes it so there really is incentive to do something on Flint's home island.