Dead Man's Treasure

E

EricBess

I picked up a new game that I'm curious to see if it works online. It should, but might require a decent amount of moderation. The question is whether we can avoid having it lag because of that.

It's called "Dead Man's Treasure".

Here's how it works. There are 6 islands, each containing some number of treasure chests with values from 1 to 7. Each player has 8 cards numbered 1 through 7 and a bomb.

On each player's turn, they choose one of their cards and place it face down on an island. If there is already a face-down card on that island, it turns face up.

Once all players have played all of their cards, the game ends and for each island, whoever has the most points on that island gets to choose first which treasure chest then want. Then, whoever has second most gets second pick and so on. If there are more treasures than people who have cards on the island it goes back to the top person.

The idea is that you have to make investments into the islands before you know what the last card played is, so you don't necessarily know if your play is going to beat the previously played card until it is too late to change it.

The bomb works a bit differently and is used to protect an investement or to keep one of the two characters from moving (more on that later). You play a bomb just like any other card. When the bomb flips up, the card that was played that caused the bomb to flip up is automatically revealed and discarded.

There are also 2 characters, Ben Gunn and Captain Flint. Whenever a number card flips face up on an island containing one of these two, they move on to the next island. Ben moves clockwise and Captain Flint moves counter-clockwise. The trick with them is that you don't necessarily know where they are going to end the game, but you can try to influence where the end. Note that if a bomb flips up, the don't move, nor do they move when someone plays a face-down card.

At the end of the game, Ben Gunn is treated just like a treasure chest with a value of 10. As such, it's good to try to get first pick on the island where he ends the game.

At the end of the game, Captain Flint takes all the treasure on the island where he ends. You preferably want Captain Flint to end on a spot where everyone else stands to gain a lot of treasure.

In addition, if at any point Captain Flint ends up getting all the way back to his starting island, the game automatically ends, even if not all the cards have been played out.

Face down cards all get turned over at the end of the game and any bombs still face-down are removed before adding up scores.

In the event of a tie, whichever of the tied players who has most control of the previous island (counter-clockwise) gets to pick first.

It plays with up to 5 and the number of players determine how many treasures start on each island. Other than randomizing the chests at the first of the game, there isn't really a random element. Each player would need to PM the moderator (me) what each face-down card they play is.

It probably sounds more complicated than it is, but if anyone is interested in giving it a try, post here.

D

DarthFerret

It does sound a lil complicated just on the initial read, but I am willing to give it a shot.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'll give it a shot. I'll probably have no clue what the hell I'm doing, but that strategy worked for me in Shipwrecked. :D

Ransac, cpa trash man

E

EricBess

Hm...The actual game is limited to 5...But since we aren't limited by the materials on hand, I think I'll change it up a bit and just add a couple of extra islands so everyone can play.

Let me figure out seating and the treasures and I'll post back later with turn order, island configuration, and a few basic guidelines.

E

EricBess

Okay, first the turn order. The letter beside your name will be used throughout the game, but more on that later.
a) Limited
b) sageridder
c) Ransac
d) Oversoul
e) turgy
f) Spiderman
g) DarthFerret

Next, the islands. Throughout the game, I will occasionally post an updated Island list. If anyone else wants to do so, they can also since only revealed information will be shown. The islands will be numbered 1 - 8 and each will contain 3 treasure chests, which will hold random values from 1-7 that you will be fighting over. Those will always be listed first.

Once players start placing cards, I will also include the cards played on the island. If the card is face-down, it will be referenced with the player letter and a dash. If it is face-up, with a letter and a number. For example, 'e-' means turgy has a face-down card on that island. If someone plays another card, turgy's card will be turned face-up. If it is revealed to be is 3, it will now be 'e3'.

Everyone has 8 cards, numbered 1-7 and a bomb, which they may place on any island during their turn. You should PM me what you have placed on the island each turn as well. Please make the subject give me the exact details to make it easier for me. For example, if you want to place you 7 card on island 3, the subject of the PM should be something like "Treasure 7 on Island 3". Otherwise, I'm going to have to keep opening every PM just to remember what is going on.

BG is Ben Gunn, who is worth 10 points at the end of the game and moves up when something other than a bomb turns face-up on his Island. CF is Captain Flint who will start on Island 1 for simplicity and will move down under the same circumstances.

If Captain Flint gets back to Island 1, the game will end.

Here's the original configuration of Islands:

1) 3 3 1 CF
2) 4 5 4
3) 4 4 4
4) 7 4 4
5) 4 6 5 BG
6) 5 5 7
7) 4 5 7
8) 6 4 7

Interesting - in the game, there are a set treasures, 2 each of 1, 2, 6, and 7, and 4 each of 3 - 5. I rolled randomly, giving everything from 3-5 double the odds and did not once roll a "2". Looks in general like it will be a high-scoring game.

Limited - you're up. If anyone is confused, let me know and I'll see if I can clarify.

D

DarthFerret

So, I am only confused about your configuration so far. Are the first three numbers listed the amounts of the treasure? For some reason I thought that the "treasure" was a hidden number and that luck kind of determined which Island held more.

L

Limited

a) Limited
b) sageridder
c) Ransac
d) Oversoul
e) turgy
f) Spiderman
g) DarthFerret

I've played a face-down card on island nr 8

Code:
1) 3 3 1 CF
2) 4 5 4 ..
3) 4 4 4 ..
4) 7 4 4 ..
5) 4 6 5 BG
6) 5 5 7 ..
7) 4 5 7 ..
8) 6 4 7 .. a-
Sageridder, you are up.

L

Limited

a) Limited
b) sageridder
c) Ransac
d) Oversoul
e) turgy
f) Spiderman
g) DarthFerret

Sageridder plays a face-down card on island nr 4

Code:
1) 3 3 1 CF
2) 4 5 4 ..
3) 4 4 4 ..
4) 7 4 4 .. b-
5) 4 6 5 BG
6) 5 5 7 ..
7) 4 5 7 ..
8) 6 4 7 .. a-
Ransac, you are up.

E

EricBess

Limited - that "code" looks great. You'll have to let me know how you do the block like that.

Just looking, it may be that Captain Flint doesn't end up moving at all this game. Island 1 isn't very appealing. I should point out two minor details which could affect that island. 1) if only 1 person has "bid" for an island, they will get all 3 treasures on that island. However, 2) the island with CF at the end of the game gets nothing...So, if someone were willing to invest 2 cards on island 1 to get CF moved, there is a chance that they could get 7 points there. However, they wouldn't want to do that too early in the game or there would also be a decent chance of CF moving all the way back to island 1 to end the game.... Do it early enough, however, there is a chance the BG ends up there and anyone trying to compete to get BG would then automatically have him move out so they wouldn't get him anyway...

Hmm....Interesting :D

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
a) Limited
b) sageridder
c) Ransac
d) Oversoul
e) turgy
f) Spiderman-Smelly-Pants
g) DarthFerret

Ransac places a card face down on 6

Code: