D&D: Part One; Awakenings

T

train

Windcaller

(Begins looking around the room, and ceiling, then studies the halfling's new toy...)

"Okay Jax... your toy should be doing something by now... but it's not... bummer..."

Z

Zigathon

The glass part of the box begins to glow. There is an image of a bald man on it. His head is covered in black vine-like tattoos. His eyes are completely white.

"I should begin by offering my apologies for the method used to summon you all here. However, due to the circumstances, there was really no other way to bring you all together. Outside of this room, the world as you knew it has changed. Something or someone has altered reality. My colleagues and I decided that the best way to have any chance of putting things to rights was to transport a group of warriors together."

He takes a drink from a cylix and continues,
"I suppose you may be wondering why my colleagues and I are unable to interfere. The answer is simple, we are not allowed. We exist beyond all the realms, and beyond the planes. Simply bringing you together was bad enough. We have paid for that act dearly."

The image on the box pulls back, revealing that the man has no legs, and only one arm. He is holding the cylix in that arm. He takes another drink and continues speaking,
"Time is of the essence, I am not drinking from this cup of my own will. When it is empty, I will be no more. Inside the backpacks is some basic equipment. In our haste to prepare, I doubt everything was divided equally. You are going to have to work together.
"Years ago, one of my cohorts had fallen in love with a mortal woman. He left our group in exile. I told my cohorts that he may be able to help you. Which is why we chose the location you have found yourself in. His name is Davdak and he can be found a in a cave a short walk from where you are now. When his mortal love died, he secluded himself there. Chances are time has made him deranged. This is the the multiverse's only hope. Find him and make him listen."

The cylix rises to his lips again. The hand that had been holding it appears melted. His face begins to blister as his eyes burst and run down his face. His torso is also melting. Chunks of his innards are not quite dissolved. They fall from him and land out of frame with squishy plopping sounds.
"Do not trust your own minds. Whatever has done this to the multiverse has also altered the memories of the people in it..."

Soon, the man is nothing more than a bust. Larger chunks of flesh fall off. There is a puddle of blood on the chair he had been sitting on.
"The pillar is you escape from here... There are many of them in all the planes... They have existed since time began... Magic used by the Old Ones... You must use them if you hope to stop this crisis..."

The cylix drops as what remains of the tattooed man's head melts away. The glass part of the box grows dark again.

T

train

Windcaller

"Anyone care to toy with the pillar... Jax - start with it, and pass on the box for now if you fancy..."

P

pickles

"Well, that was interesting. We should probably start dividing the equipment up between us if its uneven."

*begins to dump the contents of his pack out.*

T

train

Windcaller

(goes ahead and dumps his also...)

"Well, let's see what we got here..."

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
*Also dumps out his pack, to learn what he actually has now...:)*

**Just curious here...I should pick out some spells to put into a spellbook, right? How many spells go in the spellbook?**

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I dump mine out and am still waiting to hear if I could read any of the runes or if I found anything while searching the room for doors or whatever using my stonecutting ability.

Z

Zigathon

***TomB, you can cast 3(+1) 0 level spells and 1(+1) 1st level spells. The numbers in brackets are your bonus spells based on your Intelligence score. Considering you took Evocation as a specialization, you may not learn, prepare, or cast any spells from the prohibited schools you chose. You may, however, prepare and cast one extra Evocation spell per spell level. So, in response to your question, you begin with all 0 level spells and three 1st level spells (of your choice) in your spellbook. You can prepare and cast five 0 level spells and three 1st level spells per day. You may want to keep a seperate file with your character for spells.***

***In the interest of time, you may not have to worry about dividing the contents of your packs until its needed. As the only thing that's not "divided equally" is the amount of rations people have. Unless I'm mistaken, everyone started with some basic tools of survival. Whether or not you still wish to do so is up to you, but I'm fairly certain its a minor detail. The remark made by "the man in the box" was merely me making a small joke by "breaking down the fourth wall." I had no idea it would be taken literally. I will have to be careful about that in the future.***

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
In that case, I gather up my share of things (I guess as noted on my char sheet in the beginning) and keep searching the room and trying to read the runes.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"All right guys, I haven't had much luck with the room so I guess we're trapped in here, but the pillar seems to be made of stone, although maybe some magic was involved in it's construction. It looks like it's built pretty solidly and probably goes down in the earth for a bit."

I start fiddling around with one of the runes.

T

train

Windcaller

"Might as well fiddle with them all..."

(Begins pushing and pulling at the runes...)

D

DarthFerret

Start Searching along all the walls for a way out (take 10).

I

InfinityCubed

I'll move toward the rest of the group, trying to figure out what to do about the pillar, and seeing if I notice anything out of the ordinary.

Z

Zigathon

***I work until around 10pm CST, at which point I will PM the results of the last three posts as well as any others left in the interim. If I had the internet at work, I'd already be doing so***

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
"I once saw an old man look stare at a tree until he disappeared." quips Jax.
He stands upon the box, intently stares at the pillar, squinting his eyes and seeming to strain his vision.

T

train

Windcaller

"Jax!!! - what happened?!!! - you were standing right there on the box!!!... and now I can't see you!... where did you go?!... can you hear me!... Jax!!!... Are you there!!!..."

I

InfinityCubed

"What the?" I say, looking around and trying to figure out what happened to Jax. "I'll use my Detect Evil, to try and see if I can find this menace."

T

train

Windcaller

(It's role-playing to pretend he disappeared, nothing wrong with making a Halfling happy for a moment.. - he's still standing there...)

I

InfinityCubed

In any case, i'm still thinking detect evil isn't a bad route, since there's no limit on it for me :)