Crybaby Gore

R

Ristik

I see you have a feuoiseau, Apollo. Is it the first one returned or the offspring of the first one?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Apollo
Have them wrassle for it! It could be a tag-team thing, with Gore and Lieberman vs. Dubya and Cheney. Maybe Clinton could run in during the match and smack Bush over the head with a chair. It would be a ratings smash! Of course, they'd probably put it on pay-per-view.
Clinton hitting Bush over the head with a chair? I thought Clinton liked Bush! ;)

A

Apollo

Yep, I have a phoenix. I suppose it's the offspring, because it's not exactly the same as the first one. Thanks go to Sageridder, who made this wonderful piece of work.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ristik: I'm not sure what gave you the impression that I'm researching this over the weekend, but I had to laugh when I saw that. Hopefully you won't take offense by that. I only do research during "work" hours :)

Anyway, I'm not that familiar with the FDR thing although it does ring a bell, and it looks like Apollo and Almindhra answered that anyway.

I still feel that the Supreme Justices will step down when they want to step down and they don't care who's in office until I get to see something otherwise from another source. Some July issue of Newsweek (July 10?) had a front page article about this and from what I remember nothing was said about Justices specifically retiring due to a certain someone gaining office. It does look like Rehnquist and a couple others will retire but I don't think they'll change their minds if Gore is elected (regarding Rehnquist specifically).

Anyway, can't remember much else about the thread... oh, for everyone, it was Palm Beach County who messed up on the ballot issue, not Florida as the state as a whole... I guess that's about it.

[me] still chuckling over the research thing[/me]

A

arachiron

Not really (in regards to the Florida issue that is). Palm Beach was just the only county (strongly democratic) that had the worst mess up. There are still several unvalid ballots throughout the state.

A

arachiron

Not really (in regards to the Florida issue that is). Palm Beach was just the only county (strongly democratic) that had the worst mess up. There are still several unvalid ballots throughout the state. I may be wrong but frankly I don't care :)

C

Cateran Emperor

Whoa, I missed waaaaaaaaay too much here. One sec
scans thread]
Okay, now where were we.

Well, back to the whole Florida ballot thing, I'd consider it suspicious but for 2 things.
1. The ballot was published and sent to all the state's residents, as well s being in most newspapers weeks in advance.
2. This is the same ballot that was used in the '96 election.
As such, I fail to see any real foul play here.

Now everything's going insane right now. Has anyone seen the most recent counts?
Oregon has been taken from Gore and moved back into undecided.
New Mexico has been taken away from Gore and is now too close to call. Amazingly, Bush is now winning New Mexico by a whopping FOUR votes. Yes, that's what I said, the number four(4), between three(3) and five(5)

Now I fail to see how anyone can consider this a bad election. This is the coolest election in decades! Never have we had such a tiny margin, this is bordering on insanity! Whoever wins is actually not in the best of straits, as about half the country will be watching their every move. This is exactly what a republic is all about, both sides getting an equally fair chance here :cool:

T

Taysir

I think that ths problem with this election is that we don't bloody know who the President is yet, and people are getting rather impatient. Plus, a lot of European countries with the superior parliamentary forms of government are laughing at us, and we aren't happy about it.

C

Cateran Emperor

Superior forms of government hm? I greatly disagree, but we don't need yet another philosophical debate here.

As for the Europeans and such, screw them if they're laughing. At least we're making an effort to get the right vote with such a considerably larger population.

T

Taysir

If you want a debate on parliamentary, I think a minor one's going on in the "popular vs electoral" thread.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
with CE, this is rather cool and interesting. Like some newspapers from other countries said, you don't see troops and tanks out to "enforce" the vote. And Japan is apparently amazed that we're doing such things in public! Admitting errors and recounting, that is.

L

Landkiller

Yes, it does speak to the stability of our nation, and the freedom of information. But it also shows that the system itself is flawed. It is a flaw that we cannot determine the President yet. I don't say that we should be arbitrary, but an election shouldn't happen this way.

Recounts that yield a significantly different amount of votes speak poorly to the world on our behalf.

I don't have a solution, so I am saying this up front. But something is wrong.

A

Almindhra

Actually, someone told me yesterday that in some state (Oregon or Wisconsin??) people were voting more than once on a college campus...And something about a woman drove there from NY and was doing the handout of cigarettes to homeless people for votes...

I wonder who those votes were for??????....And don't you dare even think Bush...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Landkiller: I disagree slightly in that this shows people that their vote DOES matter, when it comes down as close as this.

What is needed is a sure-fire way to count the votes so recounts AREN'T needed, like a standarized ballot or whatever (just throwing out ideas). I feel it's the way the election is conducted that is flawed, not the actual idea or results of electing. (was that clear? hmm...)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
My god! My attempt to complain about the recount has turned into a monster. what have I done? *overcome with guilt, Ransac jumps out of a window*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! I CAN SEE MY HOUSE FROM HEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrreeee...

Ransac, still falling

L

Landkiller

Spidey : Ok. I can see that it's educational, shows people that each vote counts. But that still doesn't fix the whole problem with the system.
I don't know what would. But an election shouldn't be a matter of argument. It should be a simple task. The fact that it is yet unresolved will burden the eventual winner with an aura of usurpation. The losing side will claim that the election was stolen. The actual parties may renounce their claims, but people throughout the nation will still believe that the election was stolen. This is bad. A whole group of people will be dissatified with our democracy, no matter what happens from here on out.

[me] throws a Magnetic Web to stop Ransac's fall.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
You know, it's times like this that I'm glad that lady judge from Florida order the recount to be over by 5:00 pm today. Oh, well, back to falling.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

*splat*

Ransac, gooey on the sidewalk(not that way)

A

Apollo

Landkiller: actually, people aren't supposed to know who the winner is January when the people in the electoral college vote. That is the way the system was designed to be. I would say that the fact that we only have a general idea now doesn't show a flaw in the system, since we aren't even supposed to have that much.

Ally: My first guess would be Bush, actually. People in college tend to be from more wealthy families and headed for a better career, so vote more for Bush. So, those people on college campuses voting more than once are more likely to go to Bush. And the people handing out cigarettes to homeless people? Gore already has the homeless vote. He doesn't need to hand out cigarettes to get it. If anyone would, it's Bush.

N

nodnarb24

I saw that cigarette thing on the news a few days ago, it was gore.