CPA Voting Issues: 7th's Power Artifact

C

Crackdown

Oh, let's see. Power artifacts: Ornithopter, Bottle of Sule ... nah, they won't screw it up that badly (although ornithopter will be there).

Helm of Obediance. I can think of several ways this artifact will work in T2, causing havoc and generally good fun.

Mox -- indeed, I'd buy a box also, maybe two. Then, I'd realize that some rares just don't make it into boxes I buy (no Birds of Paradise in three 6th ed boxes) and I'd have to trade one of my Undermines to get it.

**Like to see (dreaming): The return of The Disk along with Guardian Beast. We need more Guardians for Belbe's Portal anyway.

D

Duel

Mox Diamond, maybe. I'd like that.

I like the helm. I can see that being used.

C

Chaos Turtle

Well, "pwrchild" over on mtgnews has posted a list of "not in" cards for 7th, naming both Cursed Scroll and Mox Diamond. Considering that she is almost always right about these things, I'm pretty bummed out.

In case anyone is keeping track, I run about a 21% accuracy rating when making predictions about future cards, rotations, and format changes...

This would put me at about 19% I guess...

D

Duel

Yes, well, if Ensnaring bridge is the best, I'll swallow my teeth

D

Duel

Here's one nobody has mentioned: Grim monolith.
Consider, all other artifact mana is gone. Why not give us this? This is a card I'd like to see.

C

Chaos Turtle

I would love to see Grim Monolith again (sans Key) but I suspect we're going to get Thran Dynamo instead.

D

Duel

Yeah, me too. Nonetheless, Any good artifact mana works.....

I'm following you.....

C

Crackdown

I don't believe we'll see any Thran Dynamo or Grim Monolith.

WotC has done an admirable job of slowing down the environment and giving us some very powerful spells that don't get played early (e.g., the winds and Legends). Accelerating colorless mana with a monolith or dynamo would effectively obliterate everything they've tried to accomplish since Urza.

C

Chaos Turtle

Thran Dynamo hardly could be considered powerful mana acceleration.

Even the Monolith is reasonably tame with nothing to untap it.

C

Crackdown

They've had four shots so far at colorless mana acceleration since Destiny and to my knowledge have not issued any card that would accomplish it on the order of monolith or dynamo.

Why, if they are trying to slow down the environment would WotC reissue cards which essentially accomplish that? We can argue about whether there are any broken cards with Dynamo or Monolith, but that really begs the question of whether WotC is continuing it's program of slowing down the environment and making some big creatures/spells available later in the game.

I believe that is there purpose. It's what Rosewater has said previously. I would be very surprised to see a reprint of Dynamo or Metalworker or Monolith in 7th ed. I would also be very concerned.

Let's see if Planeshift includes any colorless mana acceleration.

C

Crackdown

No bet here. You're preaching to the choir. I'm just tired of hearing people clamouring for colourless mana accelerators. :p

C

Chaos Turtle

I stand firm in my opinion that Thran Dynamo is medicore mana acceleration, and worthy of reprint without disrupting the tempo that the game is slowing to.

A 4 mana cost is high enough that most colors (except black) will be able to do something about it by the time it is played.

About the bet... no. I have only a 21% accuracy rating for Magic predictions. :p

Killer Joe

The current Standard environment needs to be kept 'in-balance' because it's starting to get narrow. The deck archetypes that are flourshing right now (Fires, Rebels, and U/W Control) will be at a somewhat, if not seriuos, disadvantage if a non-colored direct damage source emerges.

Killer Joe

you said, "POWERFUL ARTIFACT".
My prediction is: Erratic Portal!

I miss my casual deck "Erratic-Spikes" <sniff-sniff :()

D

Duel

Yeah, erratic portal is some good. I'd play it...

I want ensnaring bridge. Wakefield was wrong.
WEENIES are the one true road to victory.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
But true, nevertheless...

I'm thinking the Scroll myself, since with the accent on multi-color and bigger creatures right now it wouldn't be nearly as powerful as it was in the old days.

Of course, my record on predictions is even worse than CT's ;).

In the meantime, I'm going to go ahead and post this for a vote in the Voting Booth.

Seeya' there! :D

S

Sidar Jabari

You're right Duel, a good weenie is more fun than a hundered Shivan Wurms. Give me a White Knight over a Verdant Force any day.

I say ensnaring bridge.

L

Landkiller

Maybe Erratic Portal? I'd love to see that, or Cursed Scroll. But I hope Mox Diamond isn't it.