CPA eras

T

terzarima

No I think the real reason was because the Cpa, was put on Mtg news when orgg had the interveiw with R.G

D

DÛke

First off, I'm not going to say anything to Ransac right now, because I don't know him, but, and I know this may sound weird come from me, but could please stop your spamming? We're talking about a subject here, we don't need you to come here and contaminate the thread, when we're done, you can come and say all you want, because no one will be listening:)...

Ademis, well, I know I get mad, and sometimes fast, but hey, you should see some of the other members, they get mad if you tell them "Hey", or "I'm sorry", believe me! It happened.
About Dw not getting mad, I know exactly why he doesn't get mad:)...And about you judging, that's ok, it's your own judgement; it will not be taken seriously unless you enforce it:), which you're not:).

/\/\ea Culpa

[Edited by DÛke on 10-27-00 at 01:50 PM]

E

ErinPuff

I joined in August, because that's when I found the site. I don't remember how I found it. I'm sorry I was one of the people that did something screwy to the CPA, but I didn't know I was doing it at the time.

I really am sorry.. I think I'll go set a horde of Skizziks out and tell them to hurt me..

That was sarcasm, for any of you that failed to see it.

E

ErinPuff

Okay, I didn't register in August! I registered in July! Whaddya know..

but I guess I'm still part of the "Invasion".

N

nodnarb24

I personally think there are three eras:

young wipersnaps - August to present
middle-aged freaks - may to august
Old gezers - Pre-May

I can see that people can see only two areas since there are not many active members in the middle group.

D

dw51688

It's like era's of a civilization. All are friends but have different customs and cultures.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I just know that I was posting articles in the Humor and Casual Play sections of the Dojo between July and August. Then:

1. I saw Zadok's article "Fare Thee Well" posted in the casual play section, and I remember thinking, "yeah right, I'm not going to go there." (no offense Zadok, you have to understand that also there were prolific writers there who told me to go to sites involving their friend Mr. Squirrel).

2. After about a week, when I had posted two articles there, "Newbie's Nightmare" (which was actually posted here and, believe me, is pretty funny), and "Seventh Edition: Classless" (which fortunately never saw the light of day again),
someone named Krazy Kow (who I had never known of and have never heard from again) told me to go here. Thus I went, and stayed. By the way, for any of you curious to know, that new guy, fuzzy510, came here because of me, and there is no way he will ever be classified with the older people in terms of attitude either.

My point is (however unrelated to the purpose of this thread) that we should consider whether we should try to get more people here, by "recruiting" them as did Mr. Krazy Kow as well as I, or not.

If so, I know some people who would be great additions here who are probably still on the Dojo (but they'd fit in, don't worry). Do you want me to get them?

D

DÛke

MTGnews: I know many, many people there, and I've asked some of them to come to the CPA. All I got was: "we don't have time for 2 message boards", EVEN Ericbess, which has only recently joined, said the same thing, until I "forced" him to come here;).

TheDojo: Although I've never been to the Dojo message boards, I've heard some horrible stories about it, and also, I see many people coming here from the Dojo.

If only some of the MTGnews people could come here, I'd be happy, but no...Heck, some of my best friends quit Magic, and we've lost contact over time. I bet they wouldn't have quit if they've seen this place. I can't forgive myself for the day a guy with screen name "Sleeper Agent" left MTGnews. He was a good friend, but he quit Magic, and he quit MTGnews all together...I hate that...I wish I've had the time to talk to him on email some more, maybe I could've presuaded him to atleast not abandon message boards...Or, the even more mind shattering, "Yawnmoth", which IS actually registered in here, but never has posted a single thing. He got mad at me, and he left...What a shame...I hate that...

Oh well...

Times come and go: we learn to forget them.
Friends come and go: those who go, you can't forget.

/\/\ea Culpa

G

Gizmo

Why does it matter?
There is no split, I don`t think the older guys hold it over anybody`s heads at all. I just think some people make good and considered comments, other don`t - that can be the only distinction of relevence between members, surely.
The 'names' of the CPA become that because they post consistently good stuff. There are just as many infamous members as there are famous, and it`s all about what you post, and more importantly how you post it.

You only make enemies if you do something wrong, nobody starts out hating you.
Maybe some of us should meditate on that for a while.

D

DÛke

...I just have something to say:
You only make enemies if you do something wrong, nobody starts out hating you.
Being a rival to good ol'number of members, I happen to know more about this subject than you do(no offense:)). As a matter of fact, I know one person right now that hates me for no reason. Yep, no reason. Not that I care, but I'm trying to proove something here, and that is: "you might get hated by some people for no reason, and yep, it does start out that way." It's the sad truth man.

/\/\ea Culpa

N

Namielus

I'm just gonna start qouting magic cards here, cause hey that is what matters to us all and brings us here.

"A perfect machine made out of imperfect parts"

"All that matters is the path ahead"

"I'm up here. You're down there. now who's the lower lifeform"

"Stand clear if he gets an itch"

"Her children are ever part of her"

D

Darsh

"Within without"

"Up and down, over and through, back around, the jokes on you."

"We had years to prepare, while they had mere minutes."

"I'm sure it came with the place. I don't think you build one on purpose."

"I can't think with all this screaming."

V

Volradon

Everyone is talking about the difference in attitude. What r u talking about? If one of u could please tell us what u mean it would be nice...

G

Gerode

[ramble]
I was at the tail end of the membership boom, joining in mid-September. I've been reading the main page articles for some time, but, like Darsh, took my time in finding the message boards.

Almost everyone is an "old member" to me, because they've been here longer. I do see a small distinction between older and newer members, but I do not find it very significant. Now that I have made a name for myself and people are recognizing me from my fairly distinct personality traits, I am slowly being blended into the "old members".

I feel the distinction between old and new is relative to each individual member and that one set distinction cannot satisfy more than a handful of members. I have found my "niche" in the CPA community, and now all those scary strangers with more posts than I could count on my fingers are becoming friends and real people.
[/ramble]

D

DÛke

...Now that I have made a name for myself and people are recognizing me from my fairly distinct personality traits, I am slowly being blended into the "old members".
...You see, Gerode, it's the feel to "blend" that I don't like. It's ok to want to "blend", because I first came here, I posted like crazy, all for the need to "blend" and not be different. This feeling shouldn't be, since new members should always feel like part of the community, and not have to "work" at it in order to establish their "blend in". This brings less people to the CPA, believe it or not. People come here, expecting to be treated normally, and not differently, because they're new. Some will not bother to "work at it" inorder to become "normal", and some, like you and me, will kind of give it a push:). Now, don't mistake me when I say "the CPA members are divided", I don't mean it like a very, very great "divide", but rather a slight one. It's this "slight" divide that makes the need to "bleed"---OOOPS, I meant "blend", sorry:D.

/\/\ea Culpa

U

Ura

I'd say I'm an old memeber, but thats because I was around before the population boom that happened when the dojo went awol for a while, and I very passionatly believe in what the original mission statement was, so much in fact that I've been coming around less and less lately.
Is there a divide between the groups? Somewhat, but its so insignificant that as groups its nearly impossible to notice. As individuals its much more obvious, but thats the joy of being individuals. Its more like there are just people who are legendary by name because everyone knows who they from their posts and writing.

A

Apollo

DUke, we don't treat new people different. Have you ever looked at the new members board? We make every effort to make them feel at home, and everybody gives them a warm greeting. Old and new members are treated the same. Nobody ever ignores someone's post just because they're new. If you think otherwise, you're just paranoid.

And nobody hates you for no reason. Nobody ever sees someone in the street and says, "Hmmm. I think I hate him." If people don't like you, it's because you did something they don't like.

First off, I'm not going to say anything to Ransac right now, because I don't know him, but, and I know this may sound weird come from me, but could please stop your spamming?
DUke, that's a bit of a contradiction there, eh? You're not going to talk to him but you talk to him?:)

Anyway, the whole point is, there are two eras. He's referring to the boom that occured around July. I came before that boom. No one ever said there was a difference between the people of the two eras, or that anyone was better than anyone else.

And as for you being cheerful, well, you get mad more than anyone else here. It seems to be two or three times a week that you're mad at someone. I remember when you got mad at someone because he said you looked different than he expected. And now you're all emotional about this. Calm down, man.

C

Cateran Emperor

I arrived here just before the tide (Under my old position of Overlord...). I wonder if I had anything to do with the tide, along with everyone else who started posting the CPA links on every post...