CPA eras

D

dw51688

Many people think that the CPA members are split in half. Some from the old era and some from the new. Which one do you think your in and why? Besides the obvious reason:

"I am old cause I was here when the old CPA format was still here"

There are many ways besides the colors that you could say. I think...

M

Mordecai

Though I hadn't noticed a specific time at which the split ocurred, I can certainly agree that there are two different groups of CPAers.

I am from the older group (just ask anyone from the newer group if they know me). I joined shortly after the formation of the CPA.

I can't really describe the division between the two groups, but it's sort of an attitude thing. That's all I can really say.

Aren't I informative?

H

Hawaiian mage

DW, in my opinion your new. DUke is also new. And so is Darsh.

They may have 60 more posts then me, but they've been here for like 2 months.

I think I'm probably the oldest new member. Right about the time I joined, the mebers shot up from 400 to 700 in a month. Were'as before that it was quite slow.

Well actually, I consider any one younger then me new, and any one older then me old. Simple enough. :D

N

Namielus

I guess I would be one of those new faces, but I feel that we shouldn't try to segregant ourselves based on the time that we arrived. I think that the new members are just as important to be here as the old. And one day we will be the old memebers...

And I think that these newer members also bring with them a looser auditude that they feel the older members lack.

Just trying to stay in the center ground here...

D

DÛke

I hate the split. It's like in school: popular or unpopular. I'm niether, I hang out with everyone, and talk to anyone, as long as they exist.

I see some people (I will not supply names) that consider themselves "all that" just because they're old members. Who cares if you joined today, yesterday, lastnight, 5 months ago, or you were here when the CPA formated...Does it really matter? Should you get less replies becaue you're new? I've seen new people post, and either get little (very little actually) or no replies; all because they're still unknown; because they're new.

I hate to say it, but the CPA members are split into two groups (if not more).
I think everyone should be treated equally, wheather they're new or veteran, young or old, old or whatever, and so-ever.

/\/\ea Culpa

D

Duster

I absolutely hear what you're saying DUke, I've seen that kind of stuff happen so many other places, where older members become "elitists" and "no one is a cool as them."
But I also don't think we're actually splitting the group with this thread, we're just making an observation that there are definately 2 distinct eras of CPA membership. It's kind of interesting if you can look at from a point of view that's not "I'm better than you because I've been around longer."

I joined just before the huge jump in membership, so I guess that puts me in the first era...

I really dorked it up in this post eh? :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I certainly agree that there seems to be two types of eras, although I think they are two different types of eras depending on split:

Membership: when you joined
Attitude: whether you were around or actively agree with why the CPA was formed in the first place

Concerning the first: I can't put my finger down on when the split would occur either, but I would catergorize myself as from the first era because I remember when there were just barely over 100 members here and all of the Founders actively posted.

Concerning the second: Most of the "new" people do not seem to actively care or espouse the ideals of why the CPA was formed in the first place (to be fair, most of the older members seem to have let this drop off also - stuff for another thread). They seem to be "referrals" from friends (maybe of those who DID espouse the ideals) or found their way from other sites. This is not bad, just a distinction. Myself, I thought WOTC was doing a fine job and joined because the Dojo boards got unbearable, so I'd probably fit in the second category :)

R

Riva Iron-Grip

i consider myself from the old era. now some of you don't agree, but i think so. i've been around for a long time. not as long as ed or theorgg but i've been here long enough. i also totally agree with the reason CPA was made in the first place. playing magic should be casual without all the crap for perfection going on here

D

Darsh

I'm confused about my group, on the one hand I only joined 2 months ago. but on the other hand I came to the website regulary starting in December, it just took me a LONG time to find my way into the forums.:)

The reason I loved this site is because of the casual feeling that it has, and its probably that reason why I'm only a member on this message board and not any other ones (although I do drop by bdominia regulary.:)

Anyway I've never realized a "split" between the two groups, were all one big happy disfunctional (mostly)psychotic family.:)

Z

Zadok001

Gee, I wonder where _I_ belong? :)

I'm in the older group, obviously, largely due to (sorry, DW, but it's true) the fact that I've been here since the inception of the whole organization.

I don't see the 'split' in eras as very important, however. A lot of people here have VERY separate posting styles (compare my post to one of Namielus's earlier posts), but ya' know, we don't care. DUke and I have gone from vaguely rivalrious to friends, and while there are some people on the CPA who dislike other members, I feel fairly safe in saying that we're all friends here.

You are not the date you joined.

You are not your post count.

You are not how many times you've started a topic on the Off Topic board and watched it go to a fifty page thread.

You are not your friends.

You are not your enemies.

We are all made of the same thing.

The CPA.

("How To Twist A Quote WAY Out Of Context," by Zadok001.)

D

DÛke

Spiderman and Riva, why do you keep refering to yourselves as "from the old era"? Again, does it really matter? I'm sorry if I'm being very obsecurely paranoid, but, it sounds like your begging to be praised just for being veterans. Hey, I know I might be wrong, but, I might be right.

Hey, people look at me, I'm DÛke, and guess what, I'm from the new era! Oooooooo, now that you know my secret, you're not going to like me as much, since I'm just another one. I shouldn't have admited me being from the "new" era, DÛke is going to die now, and I'll have to reregister as a new nickname: "Vetran CPA member".
Yep, with that name, everyone will know how cool I am.

(Off Topic)Zadok, when was it that you and I were "vaguely rivalrious"? I'm sorry, but this hits my by complete surprise. I thought you and I were always on the light side of a light friendship. I don't recall us being anything more than that. Was it Nivelimac, or is it Zadok? I seriously don't know, and I must say, this comes as a shock.

/\/\ea Culpa

A

Almindhra

I have noticed a big difference...It was August when a sudden rush of people burst in on the CPA...And things went kind of kooky...

And I think there is a sort of split...Sorry that might hurt some of your guys' deep, "philosophical", feelings, but there is one...

And you're not going to change my mind about it, so don't even waste your typing DÛke, because I don't read your posts anyways...

D

DÛke

...Well, go ahead and see for yourself.
...Above is an example of an "all that" person.
Oh, she's not hurting my feelings, because I already know the CPA is split, she's sooo stupid, she had to remind me.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Read my post again DUke. And let me point out what you're looking for:

I agreed with dw that the CPA can be split into two eras. I further postulated that there can be two different types of splits. Then I put myself into each split, first for the first, and second for the second.

It's the same as saying the CPA has members from the Western Hemisphere and the Eastern Hemisphere and putting myself in one of them. No more, no less. At no point did I say the old era and those belonging to it are "better" than members from the new ones.

Only people who "worry" about such "superiority" actually look for it :rolleyes:

D

DÛke

...I read your post, again, and, again, I don't understand it all that well (mea culpa).
...Let me put it this way, you made it more clear on your second post, so, "hurr-aay" to that.

*sigh*

Almindhra seem to flicker in and out of friendship towards me...For no reason...

*shakes head*

Atleast real friends never dopple...
And Zadok made it perfectly clear that, it's not your name, your post count, your sig, or whatever that matters. Bascially, we're all here for one reason: Magic; we met because of it, and that's the thing in common between all of us wheather you like it or not. I know we have enemies and rivals in here, but that's another issue, the main thing is that we're all here because we have something in common, not because some are older or younger, mean or friendly, stupid or intelliegent, but because of Magic.

/\/\ea Culpa

R

Rando

It was around August when about 500 people suddenly joined. I was one of them. So I guess that puts me in the 2nd group...

...but I would prefer to not be in either.

By the way DUke, you're guilty of what?

T

terzarima

AHhhh another large contraversy,

I bet very few people beleive me but I've been here for 4 months. Still that's not as much as other people like Turtle, but hey as long as we all fit in somewhere.

I don't think that we can be classifeid by the date of our joining or anything that really matters. Since all we really know about you here on the CPA is your posts, and what they tell about you (well except DUke and some others that put up pics) So if anything we should be classified in how we post, wether we state our emotions outward and freely (Duke AND others, no names mentioned, well except Dukes of course)Or if we just reply to just about anything and are relativly cheerful to talk to, that's how, if anything we should be classified as

D

DÛke

...in August, but really, a lot of people rushed in like there was no tommorrow. I wonder what was the hype...

Ademis22,
wether we state our emotions outward and freely (Duke AND others, no names mentioned, well except Dukes of course)Or if we just reply to just about anything and are relativly cheerful to talk to, that's how, if anything we should be classified as
Does that mean you think I'm not cheerful? I am, and I do reply to almost everyone's posts, and especially those who are ignored, for any reason. Just because I reply with utter insanity (sometimes) or with strong feeling (sometimes), doesn't mean I'm not cheerful, like you:). Hey, I don't talk "cheefuly" on the posts, but there is something we call PM, I talk on it all the time, re-judge me after you've talked to me there.

Rando, for your question, I'm afraid I won't supply the answer, sorry:).

/\/\ea Culpa

T

terzarima

Hey Duke no Judging here!! You're cheerful all the time (mainly when it has something to do with blood) but I think you're off that craze now, there are definately more cheerful personalities, I mean when have you ever seen dw mad, eh? Hardly ever! I admit sometimes we all judge, but if I do I'm sorry! But Duke that is true that you bring your emotions into the posts, and somtimes that isn't bad, but sometimes it can affect other people in bad ways.

Yeah, I shouldn't judge anyone because I'm sure all of you are different when you aren't on the Cpa. This is a safe haven, isn't it?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure and I'm not going to check because I'm lazy :) but I think that was when theorgg's interview with Maro? or Garfield cam out and other sites put up links to it. So people came to read it and perhaps they also decided to join the boards.