CPA Build-A-Deck III: Liliana Vess

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
If we stay with BR as the colors of this deck, I'd like to add a new card from Shards.

Blightning
{1}{B}{R}
Sorcery
Blightning deals 3 damage to target player. That player discards two cards.

Comments?

R

Rakarth

Blightning is lethal :D It comes out of nowhere and there's nothing you want to do about it cause it feels like a waste to counter it :) I played against it today and saw it turn games. To get double discard from a player you have to pay 2B for Mind Rot, with this you get damage as a bonus :)

R

Rakarth

Ahh Hymn To Tourach :p to get random discard of two cards now you have to cycle the new Shards card, Resounding Scream which is 5UBR :)

On the subject of creatures for our deck, what about Abyssal Nocturnus. It uses all that discard we've been doing and can be quite offensive if left alone :)

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Hymn is awesome, but we need defense from creatures as well. Therefor I'm going with that OTHER awesome BB spell: Smallpox.

Anyway, I've got this deck in my head now:

4x Liliana
4x Squee
4x Zombie infestation
4x Smallpox
4x Sickening dreams
4x Nether traitor

Plus cards. Reanimate, Avatar of woe, Living death (better than Damnation in this deck?), but certainly something like Crucible of Life from the Loam. Adding singletons is nice, but we shouldn't lose focus. So, in goes Smallpox, and I'm going up to four over the next days. Although I'd rather just add four, like I said in my startpost.

4x Liliana Vess
1x Rix Maadi, Dungeon palace
1x Cabal coffers
2x Duress
1x Death Cloud
1x Hissing Miasma
3x Dark Ritual
1x Nezumi Shortfang
1x Fireball
1x Cao Cao, Lord of Wei
2x Damnation
1x Dream Salvage
1x Stinkweed Imp
1x Mindslicer
1x Smallpox

Creatures spells: 4
Non-Creature spells: 16
Land: 2

Total: 21[/QUOTE]

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, if the majority of you guys prefer to add multiples of one card for your "card add" for the day, that's fine with me. I was just used to our previous ways of doing Build-A-Deck. But we can try it this way. So if Oversoul wants to add 4 copies of Dark Ritual, he can have his other "card add" days back and add different cards - same goes for other people.

These decks will be built awfully fast, which I guess isn't a bad thing :)

I'll just stick with "basic" utility stuff to fill out the deck, like 4 copies of Badlands.

4x Liliana Vess
1x Cabal coffers
2x Duress
1x Death Cloud
1x Hissing Miasma
3x Dark Ritual
1x Nezumi Shortfang
1x Fireball
1x Cao Cao, Lord of Wei
2x Damnation
1x Dream Salvage
1x Stinkweed Imp
1x Mindslicer
1x Smallpox
4x Badlands

Creatures spells: 4
Land: 6

Total: 25

B

BigBlue

I realize this will be much more tuned that our earlier builds... what w/ up to 4 each of good cards. I don't really mind if people want to add multiples, other than it degenerates a deck down to about 10 choices which means you really don't get a say in it (especially when some people aren't posting weekends...)

Anywho...

If we are looking to go UB... Glimpse the Unthinkable for UB is brutal...
For me, Liliana would be better in UB than RB... but I could go either way I guess...

I still think LD is the way to go as opposed to more discard... 4 duress is good enough w/ Liliana + w/ the rits, you have to add Hypnotic Specter...

4x Liliana Vess
1x Cabal coffers
2x Duress
1x Death Cloud
1x Hissing Miasma
3x Dark Ritual
1x Nezumi Shortfang
1x Fireball
1x Cao Cao, Lord of Wei
2x Damnation
1x Dream Salvage
1x Stinkweed Imp
1x Mindslicer
1x Smallpox
4x Badlands
4x Hypnotic Specter

Creatures spells: 8

Total: 30

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really mind if people want to add multiples, other than it degenerates a deck down to about 10 choices which means you really don't get a say in it (especially when some people aren't posting weekends...)
Exactly, which is why I think we stuck to one card occurance per person per day before. But like I said, we can try it this way and see how it works out.

B

BigBlue

One thing we've lost since the originals is allowing your "choice" to be a removal instead of an addition... like when/if this becomes BR and not BU or if it swings the other way.

One change I might make - allow 2 of a card as an add instead of 4... It will "slow" it down enough I think.

Also - I think it would be a nice feature if we already pick the "starter" for the other decks - so we have an idea what we'll be facing... We could even cycle the builds each day - rather than working to completion on one then moving to the next... I also think we should stipulate colors in advance, this ambiguous build we have with UB or BR isn't good right now... we should pick a direction and move on it. :)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
BigBlue said:
One thing we've lost since the originals is allowing your "choice" to be a removal instead of an addition... like when/if this becomes BR and not BU or if it swings the other way.

One change I might make - allow 2 of a card as an add instead of 4... It will "slow" it down enough I think.

Also - I think it would be a nice feature if we already pick the "starter" for the other decks - so we have an idea what we'll be facing... We could even cycle the builds each day - rather than working to completion on one then moving to the next... I also think we should stipulate colors in advance, this ambiguous build we have with UB or BR isn't good right now... we should pick a direction and move on it. :)
I like the option of removing cards, but I'm afraid it'll piss off the "creator" of that addition. You're right about choosing a direction: that's good. I'm not sure if changing direction halfway is that good. We do need boundaries, we can't have someone adding white cards at this time for instance. Or if someone adds a card that... well... just isn't that good. More on that below.

But I'm not happy with your suggestion of adding milling to the deck. Milling is nice if you build the whole deck around it. It doesn't supplement discard all that well, imho. What if we take Glimpse for the next CPA BAD?

Mooseman said:
I want a little more control and as a bonus life gain, so Vicious Hunger would fit that bill.....
Control is good, vicious hunger is, well, not so good. It's nice in a weenie environment, but it's still a sorcery. Two life is just a marginal effect. Life gain can be okay. This deck could certainly need it. But Tendrils of corruption is just so much more versatile, despite costing 3B. If you want cheap weenie removal, add Pyroclasm or Infest. Or Earhquake, also solid and doesn't hurt our hippies.

I'm upping the Smallpoxes to 4. Discard is good, control is also good.

4x Liliana Vess
1x Cabal coffers
2x Duress
1x Death Cloud
1x Hissing Miasma
3x Dark Ritual
1x Nezumi Shortfang
1x Fireball
1x Cao Cao, Lord of Wei
2x Damnation
1x Dream Salvage
1x Stinkweed Imp
1x Mindslicer
4x Smallpox
4x Badlands
4x Hypnotic Specter
1x Vicious Hunger

Creatures spells: 8
Non-Creature spells: 21

Total: 34

B

BigBlue

Milling would put creatures in Graveyards for Liliana... (that was why I was heading that direction... to me this would be a better UB build than RB... but I can see the direction is definately going RB)

I'll play nice...

I'm going to add 2 Will o' Wisp for defense (have to protect liliana)

4x Liliana Vess
1x Cabal coffers
2x Duress
1x Death Cloud
1x Hissing Miasma
3x Dark Ritual
1x Nezumi Shortfang
1x Fireball
1x Cao Cao, Lord of Wei
2x Damnation
1x Dream Salvage
1x Stinkweed Imp
1x Mindslicer
4x Smallpox
4x Badlands
4x Hypnotic Specter
1x Vicious Hunger
2x Lightning Bolt
2x Will o' the Wisp

Creatures spells: 10
Non-Creature spells: 23

Total: 38

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
BigBlue said:
Milling would put creatures in Graveyards for Liliana... (that was why I was heading that direction...
I understand that much, but I have bad experiences with milling unless it's very focused. Milling in itself doesn't improve your board position. Killing opposing creatures does. Milling can win you the game, sure. I can see how Glimps tickles the imagination. But a single glimpse doesn't win you the game. If your opponent is light on creatures, Glimpse plus Liliana's ultimate ability doesn't even have to net you a creature... You could better run Intuition to fill your own graveyard and reanimate these creatures!