Contributions

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I'm sure your reason for us not using profanity has never stopped 99% of the forums on the internet. Maybe it was true or was thought to be true when the site first started, but a policy towards profanity is hardly something to make into a proud legacy. We're also not borrowing space from magic-singles.com anymore, so we don't have to worry about their kicking us off. (Granted, most of those other forums suck, but that's also because they have dozens more people.)

I also try not to use profanity, but it gets a point across -- that the poster is annoyed in the most basic and deep-seated way possible (otherwise the poster might not talk like that). DÛke doesn't exactly talk like that on most threads, does he? Only on those based on this one issue.

PS: This has obviously been said before, but since it was by DÛke himself, it might get more attention now that I'm saying it: I'm sure Arhar's "hate crime" (my own name for it) post is offensive to more people than the profanity is.

B

BigBlue

Profanity won't exactly get you "kicked off the Internet", but it could lose you an ISP or host if they monitor your activities and it goes against their policy. And it couild also lose you some posters if they find it offensive or in the case of youngsters they were suddenly blocked with net-nanny or such.

Most profanity is un-necessary and has no place in general discussion. Between 2 people it is a different story, it may be un-necessary but at least it is private.

At least as many travesties have taken place under the banner of "Free Speech" as took place during the Crusades under the banner of "Christianity".

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I completely agree, but one should ask oneself, which travesties are more pertinent right now?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by BigBlue
Profanity won't exactly get you "kicked off the Internet", but it could lose you an ISP or host if they monitor your activities and it goes against their policy.
That's our situation, exactly. Why is it that I'm not surprised that Gizmo doesn't seem to care about that? :mad:

I wonder if that's one of the reasons he thinks we're "crap"?

G

Gizmo

I tihnk CPA sucks because it has 0 of what Ferret would define as content, and 0 ambition to improve itself.

Completely
Poor &
Apathetic

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, since we aren't hosted by magic-singles anymore, who ARE we hosted by? And do they have the same rules?