Contributions

C

Chaos Turtle

I used to hang out with the mystical crowd*. After a year or so though, I realized that I wasn't getting anything out of them. They just kept saying the same things over and over. Generally bright people, they had fallen into the trap of intellectual laziness. In other words, they were boring as hell.

DÛke, you have good ideas, but your delivery is positively maddening. It's so hard to pay attention to your posts most of the time because your ideas seem to be concealed behind a gauzy veil. Oz the Great and Terrible, and all that jazz.

Look, I'm a spiritual guy too. But -- when I choose to share them -- I just put them out front. You should too. Don't hide behind catchphrases and mysterious taunts. Such these directly insult the intelligence of the people you're trying to get throught to. Giving them up will force you (one hopes) to pay closer attention to what you're saying, and get your points across more effectively.

I can see why you would think I was biased against you in my statement, but only if you take my illustration out of its context. For certain, my post was directed at you, but it wasn't about the comments themselves; it was about the way those comments are phrased.

I think I was pretty clear about how I view the ideas arhar has expressed. And maybe I am a little biased toward him, since we'd been ICQ-pals for awhile (before we both gave up on ICQ altogether) and this has given me a perspective from which to view some of his more outrageous statements.

The truth is, I disagree with both of you. But at least I know where he's coming from.

As for you, I don't quite understand why you can't simply state your opinions and ideas without either coating it in poisonous candy (and don't you even try to convince me that you've been trying to be "nice") or resorting to outright flaming. Both appoaches blur your ideas, making them difficult for people to access.

Whatever you think, just say it. Spare the drama.

*(...and I'm trying hard to forget the vampire-obsessed goth crowd I used to hang out with...how embarrassing)

D

DÛke

Gotcha.

No more "poisonous candy." I'll sound too much like Gizmo, if that's any good...

D

DÛke

One more thing, Chaos Turtle -- get AIM. Maybe we'd meet sometimes...perhaps you'd understand me better then.

T

theorgg

As somone said before-- this isn't a matter of religeon, it is a matter of Sociology.

Do some looking on the immagration of Jewish and Italians in the '30s and '40s, and look into the sociological impact.

I'm sure there will be a few differences.

Also-- I have faith that there are more than just DUke who are muslim on this board, but arn't as "abundantly" muslim. Many people keep their religeon hidden. The CPA knew Ferret for about two years before he left, and never knew he was a Pagan until he linked us to his wife's site.

M

Multani

To all moderators (or people who actually care...)

THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT

Almindhra: If you have something important to say, say it. 5-word phrases cheering on anyone's criticism of DUke does not count.

DUke: Stop trying to be so defensive. Your defensiveness only takes away from your image. If arhar posts something inflammatory, swallow your pride, and just let it go. Right now, people are only ridiculing you. Phrases like:

One more thing, Chaos Turtle -- get AIM. Maybe we'd meet sometimes...perhaps you'd understand me better then.
Get you nowhere. And stop constantly attacking arhar.

Arhar: If I didn't know better, I'd say you are trying to be provacative. If you're not, tell us why you posted those facts...

Spiderman: There is no cursing here. There are no outrageous comments here. But what we have here are several people on two sides making inflammatory remarks about the character of the other. There are bruised feelings and tempers running high. Contain it please...

Or I will.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. I will not have the CPA ripped apart by petty bickering. For once, I suggest ALL of you act your age. If you're spoiling for a fight, take it to the Battle Arena...where it belongs.

:mad:

C

Chaos Turtle

Actually, I think DÛke's AIM suggestion was completely sincere.

Speaking of which, why AIM? I use MSN-IM from Time to time. How about that?

A

Almindhra

Multani....No, I'm not going to state my opinion sometimes...Why?...Because everything I have thought about a certain person *cough cough* has been said already, probably twice over...And its nice to see people come out and say what I'm thinking, but what I don't post....So screw you, I'm going to post what I want...And thats what I wanted, to show my blatent agreement and nod to those people...

D

DÛke

Multani -- that comment was real. I wasn't being defensive. Those people who are "ridiculing" me do not understand me, and still, I have no problem with it, so shouldn't you.

I do agree about your comments to Spiderman, though. Mods here seem to think that only words like "****," "*****," "****," and "*******" count...

Chaos Turtle -- get AIM, because Arhar has that too, plus you get to talk to a bunch of other CPA members, at your own risk.

[DÛke, you're trying my patience, again. Once more and you'll be looking at a suspension for being profane :mad: - TomB]

D

DÛke

Myself:

Live your freedom, but let me live in my ill-fated life, please. If freedom is not free, than it's not freedom. The freedom you experience...is the death of millions. I rather die (and I believe I'm dying) than live a free life that has a history tainted with blood, hatred, guilt, and suffering...and like it or not, this is the freedom you're living, Arhar...and if you don't feel one bit guilty for just waking up in the morning, than I'm sorry. Me? I believe my soul is dying, and what's left of it is feeling filthy for being able to live here, "free and happy." If you can look below the surface, you wont see a single bit of happiness...just a fake mask of joy that I wear, to keep my enraged sadness hidden, and to shroud the endless despair within...to hide all that I have to hide...to pretend that I have a future...to pretend that I can go on...you know what I wish? I wish I was in Palestine, so I can die there, in my lands...and be free of all this guilt...and unlike you...I wish this from the deepest of my soul...and the purest of my heart...
No matter who you are, you gotta appreciate the artistry behind this. I guess it's why I'm the most respected critic of AcidPlanet.com.

G

Gizmo

Sounded a lot like meaningless codswallop* to me.

* Codswallop is Copyrighted 1832 by the British Empire. Unlike the rest of the empire, this bit is still ours.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
:D

Multani:
I know this may come as a shock to you, but we tend to take the "Freedom of Speech" thing fairly seriously here. As long as it's within the forum rules (ie: no profanity, racist/sexist namecalling, spam, etc.) we allow it. While you'd have a valid argument that arhar's post could be construed as provoking an argument, he didn't really say anything, other than that people of Jewish descent have won more Nobel awards than people of Muslim descent.

Well, duh...:rolleyes:

They've won a great many more awards than Catholics too, I'd imagine. That doesn't mean they have a higher moral standing than catholics, or that they're better people than catholics either, and anyone who takes it that way is reacting defensively, I agree.

But I don't exactly get what it is you want done here. Do you think that we, as mods, should be shutting threads like this down, or worse, that we should be deleting them whole? Should we ban all the participants because they participated? Or just arhar? Would it be better for you if we went through and pruned out all the comments that might hurt someone's feelings - even a little bit? Or should we just delete all the posts that have inflammatory comments in them and let the others stand, like pumpkin teeth...

Please let us know how you'd like situations like this dealt with...:rolleyes:

E

Evan_Mann

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Myself:

Live your freedom, but let me live in my ill-fated life, please. If freedom is not free, than it's not freedom. The freedom you experience...is the death of millions. I rather die (and I believe I'm dying) than live a free life that has a history tainted with blood, hatred, guilt, and suffering...and like it or not, this is the freedom you're living, Arhar...and if you don't feel one bit guilty for just waking up in the morning, than I'm sorry. Me? I believe my soul is dying, and what's left of it is feeling filthy for being able to live here, "free and happy." If you can look below the surface, you wont see a single bit of happiness...just a fake mask of joy that I wear, to keep my enraged sadness hidden, and to shroud the endless despair within...to hide all that I have to hide...to pretend that I have a future...to pretend that I can go on...you know what I wish? I wish I was in Palestine, so I can die there, in my lands...and be free of all this guilt...and unlike you...I wish this from the deepest of my soul...and the purest of my heart...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter who you are, you gotta appreciate the artistry behind this. I guess it's why I'm the most respected critic of AcidPlanet.com
Grape Kool-aid, anyone?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Multani: I must be used to this stuff, because while Almindhra's comment was kinda "egging on", I didn't think it was really that bad. And I don't see any "inflammatory" remarks on either side, most notable Duke and Chaos Turtle, but usually well-written (well, at least on the latter's part ;) ). So honestly, I don't see anything wrong here.

Now, if it degenerated into "oink you" and "baa you back" and yo momma digs, then I could see it... :)

Gizmo: Who the heck copywrited that? :p

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Well, then at least let's set Almhindra's post count to 3 or something, just as a precaution so no one accidentally takes her seriously (which apparently isn't how she'd like to be seen anymore).

A

Almindhra

For crying out loud...Tell me, how was I seen before?...I'm still the same old me, but just more selective in what I waste my time on replying to...

And guess what Ice Cweam Man, sometimes people can joke...:eek:...Imagine that!!...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Originally posted by TomB
:D

Multani:
I know this may come as a shock to you, but we tend to take the "Freedom of Speech" thing fairly seriously here. As long as it's within the forum rules (ie: no profanity, racist/sexist namecalling, spam, etc.) we allow it.
I hope the contradiction in this passage is evident.

Originally posted by TomB
They've won a great many more awards than Catholics too, I'd imagine. That doesn't mean they have a higher moral standing than catholics, or that they're better people than catholics either, and anyone who takes it that way is reacting defensively, I agree.
[/B]
So suppose I went on to mention that probably Jewish people have won a great many more awards than people from Africa. Would everything be equally hunky-dory?

Arhar: Try doing your math homework without algebra.
I also wonder how many of the people you mentioned earlier would have done without it.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Spidey: Look at both sentences.

I don't see how complaining when someone does something so benign as to post dirty words and then editing them represents taking free speech seriously.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Please...:rolleyes:

The difference is this TICM: You can say whatever you want to say here, but if you use profanity to say it we will get kicked off the Internet. It's that simple, so spare me the melodramatic speeches about how your Freedom of Speech entitles you to spout obscenities like a 12-year-old. Profanity is never a necessary element to making a point, and is usually effective only in devaluing, not enhancing, any argument made.

In other words, you don't need it, it makes you sound stupid, and if we're caught using it we're shut down. Anything else you need to know? :confused:

G

Gizmo

When the WOOF did somebody decide they would get kicked off the internet for swearing? Dont be so dense.

Personally, I write how I talk. I swear in real life. It`s just part of my particular idiom. I dont mind it being editted out or not, it`s still going to get put in just because that`s how I write.

I blame the WOOFing media.
;)