Contributions

A

arhar

I got this in e-mail today and post without my own comments. Take it for what it is: pure facts:

The Contribution of Muslims to civilization:

19.6% of World's Population
1.2 billion Muslims

Nobel Prize Winners:

Literature
1957 Albert Camus
1988 - Najib Mahfooz 1988.

Peace
1978 - Mohamed Anwar El-Sadat
1994 - Yaser Arafat (yeah, I know)

Chemistry
1990 Elias James Corey
1999 - Ahmed Zewail

Medicine
1960 Peter Brian Medawar
1998 Ferid Mourad

The Contribution of the Jewish People:

0.2% OF WORLD'S POPULATION
14.1 Million Jews

NOBEL PRIZE WINNERS:

Literature
1910 - Paul Heyse
1927 - Henri Bergson
1958 - Boris Pasternak
1966 - Shmuel Yosef Agnon
1966 - Nelly Sachs
1976 - Saul Bellow
1978 - Isaac Bashevis Singer
1981 - Elias Canetti
1987 - Joseph Brodsky
1991 - Nadine Gordimer

World Peace
1911 - Alfred Fried
1911 - Tobias Michael Carel Asser
1968 - Rene Cassin
1973 - Henry Kissinger
1978 - Menachem Begin
1986 - Elie Wiesel
1994 - Shimon Peres
1994 - Yitzhak Rabin

Chemistry
1905 - Adolph Von Baeyer
1906 - Henri Moissan
1910 - Otto Wallach
1915 - Richard Willstaetter
1918 - Fritz Haber
1943 - George Charles de Hevesy
1961 - Melvin Calvin
1962 - Max Ferdinand Perutz
1972 - William Howard Stein
1977 - Ilya Prigogine
1979 - Herbert Charles Brown
1980 - Paul Berg
1980 - Walter Gilbert
1981 - Roald Hoffmann
1982 - Aaron Klug
1985 - Albert A. Hauptman
1985 - Jerome Karle
1986 - Dudley R. Herschbach
1988 - Robert Huber
1989 - Sidney Altman
1992 - Rudolph Marcus
2000 - Alan J. Heeger

Economics
1970 - Paul Anthony Samuelson
1971 - Simon Kuznets
1972 - Kenneth Joseph Arrow
1975 - Leonid Kantorovich
1976 - Milton Friedman
1978 - Herbert A. Simon
1980 - Lawrence Robert Klein
1985 - Franco Modigliani
1987 - Robert M. Solow
1990 - Harry Markowitz
1990 - Merton Miller
1992 - Gary Becker
1993 Rober Fogel

Medicine
1908 - Elie Metchnikoff
1908 - Paul Erlich
1914 - Robert Barany
1922 - Otto Meyerhof
1930 - Karl Landsteiner
1931 - Otto Warburg
1936 - Otto Loewi
1944 - Joseph Erlanger
1944 - Herbert Spencer Gasser
1945 - Ernst Boris Chain
1946 - Hermann Joseph Muller
1950 - Tadeus Reichstein
1952 - Selman Abraham Waksman
1953 - Hans Krebs
1953 - Fritz Albert Lipmann
1958 - Joshua Lederberg
1959 - Arthur Kornberg
1964 - Konrad Bloch
1965 - Francois Jacob
1965 - Andre Lwoff
1967 - George Wald
1968 - Marshall W. Nirenberg
1969 - Salvador Luria
1970 - Julius Axelrod
1970 - Sir Bernard Katz
1972 - Gerald Maurice Edelman
1975 - David Baltimore
1975 - Howard Martin Temin
1976 - Baruch S. Blumberg
1977 - Rosalyn Sussman Yalow
1978 - Daniel Nathans
1980 - Baruj Benacerraf
1984 - Cesar Milstein
1985 - Michael Stuart Brown
1985 - Joseph L. Goldstein
1986 - Stanley Cohen [& Rita Levi-Montalcini]
1988 - Gertrude Elion
1989 - Harold Varmus
1991 - Erwin Neher
1991 - Bert Sakmann
1993 - Richard J. Roberts
1993 - Phillip Sharp
1994 - Alfred Gilman
1995 - Edward B. Lewis

Physics
1907 - Albert Abraham Michelson
1908 - Gabriel Lippmann
1921 - Albert Einstein
1922 - Niels Bohr
1925 - James Franck
1925 - Gustav Hertz
1943 - Gustav Stern
1944 - Isidor Issac Rabi
1952 - Felix Bloch
1954 - Max Born
1958 - Igor Tamm
1959 - Emilio Segre
1960 - Donald A. Glaser
1961 - Robert Hofstadter
1962 - Lev Davidovich Landau
1965 - Richard Phillips Feynman
1965 - Julian Schwinger
1969 - Murray Gell-Mann
1971 - Dennis Gabor
1973 - Brian David Josephson
1975 - Benjamin Mottleson
1976 - Burton Richter
1978 - Arno Allan Penzias
1978 - Peter L Kapitza
1979 - Stephen Weinberg
1979 - Sheldon Glashow
1988 - Leon Lederman
1988 - Melvin Schwartz
1988 - Jack Steinberger
1990 - Jerome Friedman
1995 - Martin Perl

G

Gobo

wow that crazy muslims do nothing and they take up 20% of the population and jewish people are only .2 % and they did 20x as much!!!!

T

Turtlewax Joe

Gobo: that's not how this is supposed to be taken....what you did was made a comment that made muslims look inferior to jews.

THAT WAS NOT THE PURPOSE OF THIS POST!!!

Let's see you win a nobel prize...esp when your a minority.

I have no time to analyze this right now but there are 3 things i would like to say about this so far...

1) Gobo's opinion is how a simpleton would initially look at this

2) both of these NON christian religions have made a contribution to the nobel prize stuff and make up a portion of the worlds population.

3) there may be a prejadist (sp?) opinion of muslims. when you compare the percentage of the population of each faithe that have won nobel prizes this reflects a biased opinion of the deciders in who gewts the prize or not.

these 3 topics are enough to write an entire essay for extra credit for my social studies class but it would not reflect my personal opinion which is:

WHAT DOES FAITHE HAVE TO DO WITH THE NOBEL PRIZE???

T.J.:p

G

Gobo

simple people who do good things win it people who do bad dont. How meny people get this prize a year anyway?

S

Svenmonkey

Uhh, arhar, why did you post this? Your anti-Islamic bull baaa is getting on my nerves. Your information may be true, but your motives are corrupt.

The fact is that Jews live in the first world, for the most part, but most Muslims live in third-world countries, leaving them (for the most part) without the higher education which is available to more Jews.

G

Gizmo

Moreover... the simple fact is that not only do the majority of jews live in the western world, but historically their exclusion from many professions has forced Jews into other means of making money that have brought a certain percentage of jews great wealth and prosperity. Wall Street and Hollywood are both bankrolled on Jewish money. While the majority of jews, Im sure, live perfectly normal live, there is a significant minority who are extremely rich and extremely privileged.

Meanwhile the majority of muslims live outside the western world, they have no real opportunity to become well-educated, the western economic exploitation of their countries keeps them poor so they cannot really expect to advance and lay the foundations for future generations of muslims to contribute to fields of science, philosophy, literature etc. The majority of muslims are extremely poor and ill-educated, and only a tiny minority can hope to live as well as an average jewish (or any other western race/religion/whatever) household.

You posted the figures without comment, however that you chose to post them at all adequately tells us what you are trying to say, given your past statements.
I suppose another interpretation could be... look how much the rich jewish minority is able to advance itself by profiting from the way western economic and social culture keeps the muslim world on it`s knees.
That sounds relatively accurate.

Its very hard to criticise jewish society as a whole, largely because Im sure like every society the majority of jews are perfectly ordinairy people just like you or I. It`s also hard to criticise jewish society because you become accused of neo-nazism - many jews I have had this discussion with are very quick to run and hide behind the holocaust.
But I studied the holocaust, specifically and in detail, as part of my history degree, and every day I came home from lectures about how inhumanely treated European Jewry was treated in the war. Then I'd turn on my TV, and I would watch reports of Israeli tanks and helicopters attacking children with stones, and of the brutal Israeli security police torturing prisoners as badly as the Nazis had tortured their Jewish prisoners fifty years earlier.

There's a saying... that 'two wrong's don`t make a right'. You don't seem to believe that, Arhar. You seem to believe that a big wrong is justified by a small wrong... certainly that is the principle the state of Israel lives buy. Twenty eyes for an eye! Twenty teeth for a tooth! Twenty lives for a life.

D

DÛke

...swear my heart, I was composing you a song, Arhar. I was trying to get over myself, and write you a PM for the first time to end all of our issues, and rid of the needless tension that lurks between us.

You know *exactly* that there's one Muslim in these boards, and that's me. I believe you know exactly how strongly I feel about these issues. I believe there's one Jew in here, and that's you. I have never insulted your culture; I have never insulted Judaism. I respect all of the world's religions, and even more, I respect all those who believe in religion...and no matter what I may say, I will *never* cross the lines to attempt to offend a culture or a religion at its entirety...which is much of what you have just did. This is the second time you try to prove something...first, by wishing you were an Israeli soldier, so you can "rape" the Muslim women...and now this.

I wont say much, but Arhar, as little of hope I had for you and I to become less of rivals and more of friends...it's all perished now. Please, thank yourself, and be proud of it. As meaningless as it is to you, I promise you, I will never give a second look to any possible friendship between you and I. You truely know how to cross the lines...and the topic of this thread is down right misleading. Is this what you call pure facts?

I would comment on this, show how misleading this information is, and make you look like a bigger fool...but you know what? I'll pass this time...I want to see how many limits you're willing to push...and how much respect you're willing to lose...

The United State's mistreating the Muslims is a factor to the figures you see here, and as you said in another thread, the U.S. is the most powerful country. You're right. I believe you now behold what that power has done to the Muslims...and that's just a small portion.

Live your freedom, but let me live in my ill-fated life, please. If freedom is not free, than it's not freedom. The freedom you experience...is the death of millions. I rather die (and I believe I'm dying) than live a free life that has a history tainted with blood, hatred, guilt, and suffering...and like it or not, this is the freedom you're living, Arhar...and if you don't feel one bit guilty for just waking up in the morning, than I'm sorry. Me? I believe my soul is dying, and what's left of it is feeling filthy for being able to live here, "free and happy." If you can look below the surface, you wont see a single bit of happiness...just a fake mask of joy that I wear, to keep my enraged sadness hidden, and to shroud the endless despair within...to hide all that I have to hide...to pretend that I have a future...to pretend that I can go on...you know what I wish? I wish I was in Palestine, so I can die there, in my lands...and be free of all this guilt...and unlike you...I wish this from the deepest of my soul...and the purest of my heart...

Thank you, Arhar.

A

arhar

Duke, your post brings a tear to my eye.... I cannot believe someone would compose ME a song!!! You're such a sweet, sweet guy... I've decided to end our differences and write a beautiful poem myself. This poem is dedicated to two of my dearest friends here in CPA!!!

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Gizmo is ***
And so is Duke.

M

MrXarvox

This thread is just arhar being his immature, pugilistic self, and trying to stir something up on the board.
Regardless of the truth of his post (which I don't see backed up by any real sources, it could have been exaggerated for all I can tell) it is obviously just another jab at Muslims.
"Pure facts", are they? Show me a better source than an e-mail someone sent you, arhar. It shouldn't be too difficult to look up the winners of the Nobel prizes.
I wonder if you can search the lists by religion... :rolleyes:

<side note: I noticed that yesterday, arhar actually seemed kind of calm and reasonable. Maybe he had been smoking weed or something. It was, after all 4/20. :p Well, whatever it was, it's out of his system now for sure...>

A

Almindhra

That......poem..........brought a tear to my eye arhar.......You are, such a sweet, sweet guy.........Tell me, what was your inspiration for that wonderful poem?.......

A

arhar

Well, my inspiration was me going outside... It was such a beautiful day, birds are singing, tiny droplets of water were on every leaf and rainbow was shining fresh in the sky. The nature and the whole mood was just so happy, joyous, gay, that I couldn't resist. I sat down on the ground and just wrote this little poem, which praises two of my greatest friends here in CPA!!!

C

Chaos Turtle

Blunt sarcasm rules.
Why?
Because when people are sarcastic, they are letting you know how they really feel. So much better than the smarmy, "you'd be as good as me if only I weren't so damn superior to you," approach.

One is honesty thinly veiled; the other is nothing more than pseudointellectual babbling. One takes only a few words to make its point; the other drags on, endlessly repeating the same old lines, which amount to nothing more than "I'm very smart. Let me tell you how smart I am. I'm sure you're smart, too. But let me tell you, I have achieved enlightenment!. Not you though. You suck. I'd tell you how much you suck, but I won't waste my valuable time, since you're too stupid to understand me anyway."

For example, while I may find arhar's opinions wrongheaded, angry, and -- occasionally -- frighteningly repulsive, at least I don't have to waste a lot of time trying to figure out what they are. It's nice to know exactly what someone thinks, even when one disagrees, without having to sift through a bunch of psychobabble trying to find two or three meaningful thoughts.

It's inconsistency and outright hypocrisy that get on my nerves more than any grotesque and brutish statement that someone might make.

To illustrate, let me ask this of DÛke: Why would it concern you that arhar wishes to be an Israeli soldier, raping the Muslim women, when you have made it quite clear previously that those poor Muslim women would just "get over it" and get on with their lives?

Do you see why it is so difficult for you to find agreement with people on these boards (insignificant as we are)? You simply make no sense. "Discussing" anything with you is akin to pounding one's head against the pavement. That is, unlikely to produce anything other than a headache.

Anyway. I'm afraid I've just wasted several minutes of my boring life, but have a lovely day just that same.

D

DÛke

Chaos Turtle: why?

Because it's the same exact Arhar that raved about how wrong it is to rape...or did *you* forget that? I don't care if he rapes anyone...I care about *him* who raves about the wrongness of rape...and then he assumes a situation where it's his pleasure.

Is it I, the hypocrite, or he?

Chaos Turtle:

It's inconsistency and outright hypocrisy that get on my nerves more than any grotesque and brutish statement that someone might make.
In deed it is. If you read carefully, you'd see exactly who being inconsistent, and who's outright a hypocrite...in this case, you assume the role of a great, biased persona -- questioning me, but not Arhar.

Chaos Turtle:

Blunt sarcasm rules. Why?
Because when people are sarcastic, they are letting you know how they really feel. So much better than the smarmy, "you'd be as good as me if only I weren't so damn superior to you," approach.
"How they really feel," huh? Wow...so these people can't speak their minds normally.

G

Gizmo

I have to agree with CT here. As much as I am on Duke`s side against Arhar... I think Duke talks an awful lot of semi-spiritual, psuedo-mystical crap

E

Evan_Mann

...I think Duke talks an awful lot of semi-spiritual, psuedo-mystical crap...
The above has been my mantra since the begining, but no one save for one litle lady agreed with me...ah, and one other guy too.

Oh, and Snibit Shar-Carl wombat's with hats and cream. Again? Blue.

D

DÛke

Well, I try to find a nice way of communicating. It's better than flaming people around. But I agree with you Gizmo...not because it's "crap," but because it doesn't work with some of these people. I should just talk my oink off without anything in between. Why try to make something like war look nice? I only have done that in order to not really offend many...but it didn't work. And you know, I have 2 extreams..."an awful lot of semi-spiritual, psuedo-mystical crap," and the "an awful lot of a jerk, oinkhole who speaks his mind even if it means losing friends." I guess I'll opt my second extream, since being nice doesn't work very often here.

E

Evan_Mann

It's not a matter of "being nice" or "being an oink-hole."

It's a matter of trying to sound like Ghandi but ending up sounding like the Reverend Jim Jones.

A

Almindhra

Originally posted by Gizmo
I think Duke talks an awful lot of semi-spiritual, psuedo-mystical crap
Thank you........

Originally posted by Evan_Mann
It's a matter of trying to sound like Ghandi but ending up sounding like the Reverend Jim Jones.
Yes!.....haha....