Conflux Preview Cards

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Tom LaPille's card

Conflux FAQ – Ability Word: Domain
Domain is an ability word. It appears in italics at the beginning of an ability that counts the number of basic land types among lands you control. (An ability word has no rules meaning.) Domain abilities first appeared in the Invasion block, although the word "domain" didn't appear on those older cards.
  • Each domain ability has a different effect. Read each card carefully.
  • To determine the number of basic land types among lands you control, look at the lands you have in play and ask yourself whether the subtypes Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest appear within that group. The number of times you say yes (topping out at five) tells you how powerful your domain abilities will be.
  • How many lands you control of a particular basic land type is irrelevant to a domain ability, as long as that number is greater than zero. As far as domain is concerned, ten Forests is the same as one Forest.
  • A number of nonbasic lands have basic land types. These include five Shadowmoor nonbasic lands, the Revised Edition "dual lands," and the Ravnica block "dual lands", among others. Domain abilities don't count the number of lands you control -- they count the number of basic land types among lands you control, even if that means checking the same land twice.
  • A domain ability that appears on an instant, sorcery, or activated ability checks the number of basic land types among lands you control just once, as that part of its effect is applied. This value won't change even if which lands you control changes later in the turn.
  • A domain ability that appears on a static ability continually checks the number of basic land types among lands you control. If that number changes, the effect of the static ability will change accordingly. For example, if you control a Swamp and two Forests when Matca Rioters comes into play, Matca Rioters will be 2/2. If you play an Island later, Matca Rioters will become 3/3.
  • Matca Rioters's ability is a "characteristic-defining ability." It applies at all times in all zones.
[/quote]

Attachments

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spidey: Are you saying that Planar Void wouldn't remove it from the game if it would go into a graveyard? That is true.

Noble Hierarch: Good manafixer, I suppose.
Maelstrom Archangel: It already costs WUBRG itself. What's its ability going to do? Play Progenitus? Actually, that could work...
Banefire: Wow. This thing dethrones Kaervek's Torch. It will be THE best Fireball variant ever printed. I used to have a ChannelTorch deck and I was thinking about rebuilding it. But this thing is even better. It's like it was made for Channel.
Magister Sphinx: Meh.
Wall of Reverence: Could be good in a defensive deck.
Matca Rioters: I know this is the new thing, but I don't like it. I mean, the word "domain" there does exactly nothing. It's dumb. It's not even like a keyword, where an ability that took multiple words was condensed to one (fear, vigilance, etc.) or the headstone symbols on cards that could do things from the graveyard. This is an actual word inserted, in italics (which make it seem important), at the beginning of the card's text. Obnoxious.

E

EricBess

Oversoul;277471 said:
Spidey: Are you saying that Planar Void wouldn't remove it from the game if it would go into a graveyard? That is true.
Planer Void is not a replacement ability, but a triggered ability. This card never makes it to the graveyard because it is a replacement ability. Actually, even if Planer Void were a replament, I believe self-replacement abilities still must be applied first.

In short, Planar void wouldn't remove it from the game.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I think Spidey was basically pointing it out because it's another point in favor of just how resilient Progenitus is, but he wasn't positive, so he phrased it as a question. Actually, I'm not sure. Spidey?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I just said "I don't think", meaning I wasn't 100% positive, but I was 99% sure since replacement abilities mean it doesn't even have a chance to go to the graveyard for the Void to trigger. But yeah, I was pointing out that you really can't kill the thing; you just need some way to survive otherwise.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Blood Tyrant The multi-player bulls eye on your forehead..... but it is a great chaos game card......

M

mythosx

Path to Exile is ridiculous. They won't reprint counter spells because its too strong. But they will print a card that is in every way stronger than swords to plowshares.

I'm very confused.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
mythosx;277782 said:
Path to Exile is ridiculous. They won't reprint counter spells because its too strong. But they will print a card that is in every way stronger than swords to plowshares.

I'm very confused.
Me too, since it also allows you to color fix for W and a creature.........