Commander 2013: Spidey (Mind Seize) vs Mooseman (Eternal Bargain)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw

Attack with Jeleva for 1
Baleful Strix
Nivix Guildmage
Suspend Phthisis

Done

Spidey: 27 ~Cursed~
Enemy Commander Combat Dmg Dealt: 0/21
Hand: 6
Library: 77
Command Zone:

Battlefield:

(T) Command Tower (T: Add to my mana pool one mana of any color in my commander's color identity (U, B, or R))
(T) Crumbling Necropolis (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add U, B, or R to my mana pool)
(T,T,U) Island x3
(T,T) Mt x2

(T) Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge (1/3; Flying; When ~ ETB, each player exiles the top X cards of his library, where X is the amt of mana spent to cast ~.; Whenever ~ attacks, I may cast an instant or sorcery card exiled with this w/o paying its mana cost)
(S) Baleful Strix (1/1; Flying; Deathtouch; When ~ ETB, draw a card)
(S) Nivix Guildmage (2/2; 1UR: Draw a card, then discard a card.; 2UR: Copy target instant or sorcery spell I control. I may choose new targets for the copy)

Graveyard: Soul Manipulations, Crosis Charm, Incendiary Command, Cruel Ultimatum, Island, Swamp, Dismiss
Exile: Grixis Panarama, Spiteful Visions, Island, Phthisis (5 time ctrs)
==============================================================================
Mooseman: 43
Enemy Commander Combat Dmg Dealt: 4/21
Hand: 2
Library: 79
Command Zone: Oloro, Ageless Ascetic (Legendary Creature - Giant Soldier. 4/5, At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 2 life. Whenever you gain life, you may pay {1}. If you do, draw a card and each opponent loses 1 life. At the beginning of your upkeep, if Oloro, Ageless Ascetic is in the command zone, you gain 2 life.
Battlefield:

(TT) Plains x2
(TT) Swamp
(T) Orzhov Guildgate (, L, ETB tapped. {T}: Add {W} or {B} to your mana pool. )
(T) Rupture Spire (, L, ETB tapped.When ~ comes into play, sacrifice it unless you pay 1. T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. )

Curse of Shallow Graves (Curse, EP, Whenever a player attacks enchanted player with one or more creatures, that attacking player may put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield tapped.)

(S) Oloro, Ageless Ascetic (Legendary Creature - Giant Soldier. 4/5, At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 2 life. Whenever you gain life, you may pay {1}. If you do, draw a card and each opponent loses 1 life. At the beginning of your upkeep, if Oloro, Ageless Ascetic is in the command zone, you gain 2 life.)

Graveyard: Wall of Reverence, Ajani’s Pridemate, Orzhov Basilica, Marrow Bats, Reckless Spite, Azorius Herald, Razor Hippogriff, Order of Succession
Exile:Jwar Isle Refuge, Filigree Angel, Raven Familiar, Vizkopa Guildmage

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Well this has truned very quickly
Untap, upkeep - gain life draw card and you lose a life, Draw
Opal Palace
Famine (Famine deals 3 damage to each creature and each player)
Attack with Oloro
Done

Spidey: 19 ~Cursed~
Enemy Commander Combat Dmg Dealt: 0/21
Command Zone:
Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge (1/3; Flying; When ~ ETB, each player exiles the top X cards of his library, where X is the amt of mana spent to cast ~.; Whenever ~ attacks, I may cast an instant or sorcery card exiled with this w/o paying its mana cost)
Battlefield:

(T) Command Tower (T: Add to my mana pool one mana of any color in my commander's color identity (U, B, or R))
(T,T,U) Island x3
(T,T) Mt x2

Graveyard: Soul Manipulations, Crosis Charm, Incendiary Command, Cruel Ultimatum, Island, Swamp, Dismiss, Nivix Guildmage, Baleful Strix
Exile: Grixis Panarama, Spiteful Visions, Island, Phthisis (5 time ctrs)
Mooseman: 42
Command Zone: Oloro, Ageless Ascetic (Legendary Creature - Giant Soldier. 4/5, At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 2 life. Whenever you gain life, you may pay {1}. If you do, draw a card and each opponent loses 1 life. At the beginning of your upkeep, if Oloro, Ageless Ascetic is in the command zone, you gain 2 life.
Battlefield:

(TT) Plains x2
(TT) Swamp
(U) Rupture Spire (, L, ETB tapped.When ~ comes into play, sacrifice it unless you pay 1. T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. )
(T) Opal Palace (, , {T}: Add {1} to your mana pool. {1}, {T}: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color in your commander's color identity. If you spend this mana to cast your commander, it enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the number of times it's been cast from the command zone this game. )

Curse of Shallow Graves (Curse, EP, Whenever a player attacks enchanted player with one or more creatures, that attacking player may put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield tapped.)

(T) Oloro, Ageless Ascetic (Legendary Creature - Giant Soldier. 4/5, At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 2 life. Whenever you gain life, you may pay {1}. If you do, draw a card and each opponent loses 1 life. At the beginning of your upkeep, if Oloro, Ageless Ascetic is in the command zone, you gain 2 life.)
(T) Zombie Token (2/2)

Graveyard: Wall of Reverence, Ajani’s Pridemate, Orzhov Basilica, Marrow Bats, Reckless Spite, Azorius Herald, Razor Hippogriff, Order of Succession

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Doh!

Untap, upkeep - remove time ctr, Draw

Jeleva (it costs 2 extra, right?) - so we exile 6 cards?
Evolving Wilds
Use it to get a Swamp

Done

Spidey: 19 ~Cursed~
Library: 69
Command Zone:
Battlefield:

(U) Command Tower (T: Add to my mana pool one mana of any color in my commander's color identity (U, B, or R))
(T,T,T) Island x3
(T,T) Mt x2
(T) Swamp

(S) Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge (1/3; Flying; When ~ ETB, each player exiles the top X cards of his library, where X is the amt of mana spent to cast ~.; Whenever ~ attacks, I may cast an instant or sorcery card exiled with this w/o paying its mana cost)

Graveyard: Soul Manipulations, Crosis Charm, Incendiary Command, Cruel Ultimatum, Island, Swamp, Dismiss, Nivix Guildmage, Baleful Strix, Evolving Wilds
Exile: Grixis Panarama, Spiteful Visions, Island, Phthisis (4 time ctrs), Army of the Damned, Strategic Planning, Opal Palace, Mnemonic Wall, Annhiliate, Island
Mooseman: 42
Library: 77 - 6
Battlefield:

(TT) Plains x2
(TT) Swamp
(U) Rupture Spire (, L, ETB tapped.When ~ comes into play, sacrifice it unless you pay 1. T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. )
(T) Opal Palace (, , {T}: Add {1} to your mana pool. {1}, {T}: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color in your commander's color identity. If you spend this mana to cast your commander, it enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the number of times it's been cast from the command zone this game. )

(T) Oloro, Ageless Ascetic (Legendary Creature - Giant Soldier. 4/5, At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 2 life. Whenever you gain life, you may pay {1}. If you do, draw a card and each opponent loses 1 life. At the beginning of your upkeep, if Oloro, Ageless Ascetic is in the command zone, you gain 2 life.)
(T) Zombie Token (2/2)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Sanguine Bond Plains Swiftfoot Boots Divinity of Pride Death Grasp Tidehollow Strix

Remember, you can only cast cards exiled by Jeleva, and only those exiled when it comes into play

Untap, upkeep - gain life draw card, you lose 1
Draw
Swamp
Spinal Embraceon on Jeleva
Response?

Spidey: 18 ~Cursed~
Command Zone:
Battlefield:

(U) Command Tower (T: Add to my mana pool one mana of any color in my commander's color identity (U, B, or R))
(T,T,T) Island x3
(T,T) Mt x2
(T) Swamp

(S) Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge (1/3; Flying; When ~ ETB, each player exiles the top X cards of his library, where X is the amt of mana spent to cast ~.; Whenever ~ attacks, I may cast an instant or sorcery card exiled with this w/o paying its mana cost)

Graveyard: Soul Manipulations, Crosis Charm, Incendiary Command, Cruel Ultimatum, Island, Swamp, Dismiss, Nivix Guildmage, Baleful Strix, Evolving Wilds
Exile: Grixis Panarama, Spiteful Visions, Island, Phthisis (4 time ctrs), Army of the Damned, Strategic Planning, Opal Palace, Mnemonic Wall, Annhiliate, Island
Mooseman: 44
Library: 70
Battlefield:

(TT) Plains x2
(TTT) Swamp

(U) Oloro, Ageless Ascetic (Legendary Creature - Giant Soldier. 4/5, At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 2 life. Whenever you gain life, you may pay {1}. If you do, draw a card and each opponent loses 1 life. At the beginning of your upkeep, if Oloro, Ageless Ascetic is in the command zone, you gain 2 life.)
(U) Zombie Token (2/2)

Graveyard: Wall of Reverence, Ajani’s Pridemate, Orzhov Basilica, Marrow Bats, Reckless Spite, Azorius Herald, Razor Hippogriff, Order of Succession,
Exile: Jwar Isle Refuge, Filigree Angel, Raven Familiar, Vizkopa Guildmage, Sanguine Bond, Plains, Swiftfoot Boots, Divinity of Pride, Death Grasp, Tidehollow Strix

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'll edit the post to put those cards in italics (and put your cards as exiled, not in the graveyard.

Spinal Embrace can only be cast during combat, right?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
OH, yeah, I'll declare my combat phase first
Is it true that once the commander leaves the battle field it's like the GY or Exile and it is a new object ETB?
Thus the exiled cards are only good until it leaves the Battlefield?
Or is the commander zone somehow like phasing?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh man, this is going to go fast. No response.

I had to look it up, it appears he's a new object so he can only use the cards that were exiled when he currently ETB.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Attack with all 3
Get 3 zombies
Cast Army of the damned
Get 13 zombies
Take 7
Jeleva goes to commander zone (Or GY if you prefer)
Nihil Spellbomb
Done

Spidey: 11 ~Cursed~
Command Zone:
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Island x3
(T,T) Mt x2
(T) Swamp

Graveyard: Soul Manipulations, Crosis Charm, Incendiary Command, Cruel Ultimatum, Island, Swamp, Dismiss, Nivix Guildmage, Baleful Strix, Evolving Wilds, Army of the Damned
Exile: Grixis Panarama, Spiteful Visions, Island, Phthisis (4 time ctrs), , Strategic Planning, Opal Palace, Mnemonic Wall, Annhiliate, Island
Mooseman: 44
Hand: 1
Battlefield:

(TT) Plains x2
(TTT) Swamp
(T) Rupture Spire (, L, ETB tapped.When ~ comes into play, sacrifice it unless you pay 1. T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. )

Nihil Spellbomb (, A, {T}, Sacrifice Nihil Spellbomb: Exile all cards from target player's graveyard.

(T) Zombie Token (2/2)
(T) Zombie Token (2/2)
(T) Zombie Token (2/2)
(T) Zombie Token (2/2)
(T) Zombie Token (2/2)
(T) Zombie Token (2/2)
(T) Zombie Token (2/2)
(T) Zombie Token (2/2)
(T) Zombie Token (2/2)
(T) Zombie Token (2/2)
(T) Zombie Token (2/2)
(T) Zombie Token (2/2)
(T) Zombie Token (2/2)
(T) Zombie Token (2/2)
(T) Zombie Token (2/2)
(T) Zombie Token (2/2)
(T) Zombie Token (2/2)
(T) Zombie Token (2/2)

Graveyard: Wall of Reverence, Ajani’s Pridemate, Orzhov Basilica, Marrow Bats, Reckless Spite, Azorius Herald, Razor Hippogriff, Order of Succession,
Exile: Jwar Isle Refuge, Filigree Angel, Raven Familiar, Vizkopa Guildmage, Sanguine Bond, Plains, Swiftfoot Boots, Divinity of Pride, Death Grasp, Tidehollow Strix

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Man, that was exactly what I was going to use with Jeleva for my first attack :)

So, looks like this is it unless I get a board clearer...

Well, might save me a turn... Infest.
My own Curse of the Shallow Graves on you

Done

Spidey: 11 ~Cursed~
Hand: 5
Library: 68
Command Zone:
Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Island x3
(T,U) Mt x2
(T) Swamp

Graveyard: Soul Manipulations, Crosis Charm, Incendiary Command, Cruel Ultimatum, Island, Swamp, Dismiss, Nivix Guildmage, Baleful Strix, Evolving Wilds, Army of the Damned, Infest
Exile: Grixis Panarama, Spiteful Visions, Island, Phthisis (3 time ctrs), , Strategic Planning, Opal Palace, Mnemonic Wall, Annhiliate, Island
Mooseman: 44 ~Cursed~
Battlefield:

(TT) Plains x2
(TTT) Swamp

Nihil Spellbomb (, A, {T}, Sacrifice Nihil Spellbomb: Exile all cards from target player's graveyard.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Wow, nice top decking
UU - life gain, cards draw life loss
Draw
Plains
Attack for 4
Response?

Spidey: 6? ~Cursed~
Command Zone:
Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Island x3
(T,U) Mt x2
(T) Swamp

Graveyard: Soul Manipulations, Crosis Charm, Incendiary Command, Cruel Ultimatum, Island, Swamp, Dismiss, Nivix Guildmage, Baleful Strix, Evolving Wilds, Army of the Damned, Infest
Exile: Grixis Panarama, Spiteful Visions, Island, Phthisis (3 time ctrs), , Strategic Planning, Opal Palace, Mnemonic Wall, Annhiliate, Island
Battlefield:

(UUT) Plains x3
(UUU) Swamp
(U) Orzhov Guildgate (, L, ETB tapped. {T}: Add {W} or {B} to your mana pool. )
(U) Opal Palace (, , {T}: Add {1} to your mana pool. {1}, {T}: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color in your commander's color identity. If you spend this mana to cast your commander, it enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the number of times it's been cast from the command zone this game. )

Nihil Spellbomb ( {T}, Sacrifice Nihil Spellbomb: Exile all cards from target player's graveyard.

(T) Zombie Token (2/2)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Brilliant Plan
Cycle Barren Moor

Spidey: 6 ~Cursed~
Command Zone:
Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Island x3
(T,U) Mt x2
(T) Swamp

Hand: 4
Library: 65
Battlefield:

(UTT) Plains x3
(TTT) Swamp

Nihil Spellbomb ( {T}, Sacrifice Nihil Spellbomb: Exile all cards from target player's graveyard.

(T) Zombie Token (2/2)

Graveyard: Wall of Reverence, Ajani’s Pridemate, Orzhov Basilica, Marrow Bats, Reckless Spite, Azorius Herald, Razor Hippogriff, Order of Succession, Barren Moor

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Added the 4 to the Enemy Commander dmg column

Baleful Force

Done

Spidey: 6 ~Cursed~
Enemy Commander Combat Dmg Dealt: 8/21
Library: 67
Command Zone:
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Island x3
(T,T) Mt x2
(T) Swamp

(S) Baleful Force (7/7; At the beginning of each upkeep, I draw a card and lose 1 life)

Exile: Grixis Panarama, Spiteful Visions, Island, Phthisis (2 time ctrs), , Strategic Planning, Opal Palace, Mnemonic Wall, Annhiliate, Island
Battlefield:

(UTT) Plains x3
(TTT) Swamp

(T) Zombie Token (2/2)

Graveyard: Wall of Reverence, Ajani’s Pridemate, Orzhov Basilica, Marrow Bats, Reckless Spite, Azorius Herald, Razor Hippogriff, Order of Succession, Barren Moor

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
UU - gain life, draw card and you lose 1 life
Draw
Island
Survival Cache pay 1 to draw and you lose 1
Done

Spidey: 4 ~Cursed~
Library: 67
Command Zone:
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Island x3
(T,T) Mt x2
(T) Swamp

(S) Baleful Force (7/7; At the beginning of each upkeep, I draw a card and lose 1 life)

Exile: Grixis Panarama, Spiteful Visions, Island, Phthisis (2 time ctrs), , Strategic Planning, Opal Palace, Mnemonic Wall, Annhiliate, Island
Mooseman: 46 ~Cursed~
Library: 63
Command Zone:
Battlefield:

(UTT) Plains x3
(UTT) Swamp
(U) Island

(U) Oloro, Ageless Ascetic (Legendary Creature - Giant Soldier. 4/5, At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 2 life. Whenever you gain life, you may pay {1}. If you do, draw a card and each opponent loses 1 life. At the beginning of your upkeep, if Oloro, Ageless Ascetic is in the command zone, you gain 2 life.)
(U) Zombie Token (2/2)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I also draw a card and lose a life from my Force during your upkeep

Untap, upkeep - draw a card and lose a life, remove time ctr, Draw

Swamp
Guard Gomazoa

Done

Spidey: 2 ~Cursed~
Hand: 8
Command Zone:
Battlefield:

(U) Crumbling Necropolis (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add U, B, or R to my mana pool)
(T,U,U) Island x3
(T,U) Mt x2
(T,U) Swamp x2

(U) Baleful Force (7/7; At the beginning of each upkeep, I draw a card and lose 1 life)
(S) Guard Gomazoa (1/3; Defender, Flying; Prevent all combat dmg that would be dealt to ~)

Exile: Grixis Panarama, Spiteful Visions, Island, Phthisis (1 time ctrs), , Strategic Planning, Opal Palace, Mnemonic Wall, Annhiliate, Island
Library: 63
Command Zone:
Battlefield:

(UTT) Plains x3
(UTT) Swamp
(U) Island

(U) Zombie Token (2/2)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Untap
Upkeep
Survival Cacheresolves and I gain 2 life, pay 1 and you lose a life
I gain 2 life from Oloro pay 1 and you lose a life, I draw a card
Game?

Spidey: 2 ~Cursed~
Hand: 8
Command Zone:
Battlefield:

(U) Crumbling Necropolis (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add U, B, or R to my mana pool)
(T,U,U) Island x3
(T,U) Mt x2
(T,U) Swamp x2

(U) Baleful Force (7/7; At the beginning of each upkeep, I draw a card and lose 1 life)
(S) Guard Gomazoa (1/3; Defender, Flying; Prevent all combat dmg that would be dealt to ~)

Exile: Grixis Panarama, Spiteful Visions, Island, Phthisis (1 time ctrs), , Strategic Planning, Opal Palace, Mnemonic Wall, Annhiliate, Island
Library: 61
Command Zone:
Battlefield:

(UUT) Plains x3
(UUT) Swamp
(U) Island
(U) Opal Palace (, , {T}: Add {1} to your mana pool. {1}, {T}: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color in your commander's color identity. If you spend this mana to cast your commander, it enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the number of times it's been cast from the command zone this game. )

(U) Zombie Token (2/2)

Exile: Jwar Isle Refuge, Filigree Angel, Raven Familiar, Vizkopa Guildmage, Sanguine Bond, Plains, Swiftfoot Boots, Divinity of Pride, Death Grasp, Tidehollow Strix, Survival Cache

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. Good game!

I needed just a few more mana in the beginning, but also couldn't quite figure out this deck... I had Prosperity, Skyscribing, and Temple Bell for the longest time but couldn't see how to make you drawing cards be a disadvantage somehow...

Onto the next!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If I was able to attack with Jeleva and use Army of the Damned, maybe... that Spinal Embrace was the game-changer.