Clearing up Peasant Magic Misconceptions

T

train

Actually - Maze is common... (or, at least from the list I looked at...)
My 5 uncommons are at the top of the decklist...;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
You're right. There was no rare sheet for The Dark so what would have been its uncommons were given the C1 rating, like Maze of Ith--and I forgot about that because my Appr. listed it as an uncommon (it is stupid).

Which reminds me, I guess that burn decks could use Ball Lightning in the uncommon slots...

Ugh, I was going through my cards to rebuild Radium-228 as a Peasant deck, and I'm missing one of my old Pestilences, so I have to find a new one, or use the stupid, ugly 6th edition one I have...

E

Ephraim

@Train:

Just a few comments on your deck list. Hurricane is, to the best of my knowledge, uncommon. (I use crystalkeep.com, for anything before Darksteel)

Also, Consume Spirit is strictly superior to Drain Life. Not to mention that with only nine sources of black mana in the deck, either one would be only marginally useful.

I tend to shy away from decks that have 50/50 mana splits. They always feel very risky to me. Especially with multiple spells that have either GG or BB in theri mana cost, I'd be very concerned about colour screw. You've got an excellent array of powerful commons, but in this case, I think you'd be better off dropping some of the black in favour of more green, so you can better tune the mana base.

Lastly, I'm not positive I understand the purpose of Gaea's Blessing in this deck. It was a very useful tool when Brain Freeze based Tides decks were dominating the format, but Brain Freeze has since been banned. At any rate, I'm not sure what I would use in their place, at the moment.

Without any testing, I can't make any really solid recommendations, but I would start with something like this:

-3 Order of the Ebon Hand
-4 Faceless Butcher
-3 Drain Life
-3 Gaea's Blessing (keep one Hurricane; not sure what to use in the other two slots)
-1 Slagwurm Armor (this just seems kind of random)

+3 Consume Strength -- With the loss of Faceless Butcher, you may want some additional ability to kill creatures. Although it's not useful against huge creatures, Consume Strength serves to help control black creatures (as does Faceless Butcher) and gives one of your creatures a boost. It's a very nice combat trick.

+1 Hurricane -- This would leave you with two uncommon slots. You might fill one of them with another Hurricane, since you've got a lot of very strong ground-based creatures, but no fliers.

+1 Rancor -- Multiple Rancors are never a bad thing. Since they return to your hand, stacking them on a single creature doesn't even risk any card disadvantage. Using a full complement of them is a good idea.

+1 Whispersilk Cloak -- While Rancor can make your creatures trample, there's no better way to get damage through than to have the creature unblocked.

+1 River Boa -- As it is, your mana curve is a bit steep. I think you would benefit a lot to flesh out the lower end of the mana curve.

+5 Any combination of Wild Dogs/Scryb Sprites/Jungle Lion -- The Sprites don't have synergy with Hurricane, but you don't necessarily have to use 3x Hurricane, either. You have neither fliers nor creatures that can block flying at the moment. On the other hand, Wild Dogs and Jungle Lion help to give you some more powerful attackers with which to work. At any rate, all of them fill out the lower end of your mana curve.

If you decide to go with fewer Hurricanes, Nimble Mongoose is a fine uncommon creature.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oh, seems like he's right about the Hurricane. I can't find any source that lists it as a common...

Killer Joe

UBR Control

LANDS
7. Islands
4. Mountain
1. Polluted Mire
1. Remote Isle
1. Smoldering Crater
7. Swamp

ARTIFACTS
4. Mind Stone

BLACK
2. Diabolic Edict
3. Duress
3. Skittering Skirge

BLUE
4. Accumulated Knowledge
4. Condescend
2. Deep Analysis
2. Jilt
2. Probe

GOLD
3. Recoil
4. Terminate

RED
3. Barbed Lightning
2. Kaervek’s Torch
1. Shattering Pulse

This is not a Peasant Deck.

With those that I play against this deck is pretty good against normal decks. I have yet to actually play in any organized tournament with this UBR Control `all commons` deck, though. It has a lot of answers and I am sure it could use some tuning. Direct Red Damage Decks, I’m sure, would give this deck a hard time if not then totally obliterate it. In fact, I’m sure, at least from what I’ve read, that Peasant Magic has no room nor tolerance for Blue based Control Decks. But if I would make it into a formal PD then I’m not sure what I could use. The Mind Stones are card drawer and mana acceleration but I guess they could go. I could make two more land slots and fill up the other two slots with more answers.
I’ll give it a go:

-2 Deep Anaylsis
+2 Fact or Fiction

-3 lands (one of each Basic Land)
+3 Mirrodin’s Core

Maybe.

T

train

I honestly don't know where I got hurricane as a common - I should've known better...:rolleyes:

Minor changes, but I've settled on the following... This is a utlity peasant deck - not the standard, lay the beats on, and I've included cards to help maintain early stamina...

Smiley v.1.0.1
Eradicate x2
Gaea's Blessing x3

order of the ebon hand x4
river boa x3
blastoderm x4
yavimaya elder x3
faceless butcher x3
krosan tusker x2

diabolic edict x4
dark banishing x3
moment's peace x2
rancor x3
Naturalize x2
drain life x2
whispersilk cloak
invigorating Falls

Maze of Ith x2
Forest x9
Swamp x9

Sideboard:
Tanglebloom x2
Broken Fall x2
Multani's Decree x3
disciple of malice x3
Fallen cleric x2
Cemetery Gate x3

The blessings, elders, and now tuskers all provide card advantage... so there isn't a reason to shy away from the 50/50 mana split... it should be much safer than normal...

The blessings themselves have proven most useful in all decks I've played them in... especially when cycling much needed cards for utility...

Consume Strengths don't necessarily act as creature kill, and if I can target it with the strength, I might as well remove the creature and gain a creature with the butcher... "Out of the way" is all that is needed...

The orders are pro-white, easily given first strike, and pumpable... They easily handle any early beef, especially wild dogs, jungle lions, etc... even if the lions or dogs get giant-growthed... a diabolic edict may be laying in wait...;)

boas, elders - likewise... except I want the elders to go by the way-side...

T

train

The roots was an idea, but I think the "sifting" helps more when getting the cards I need later... It even makes a decent chump blocker.

C

Chaos Turtle

Okay, I officially think Peasant Magic is cool.

Those decks actually look like they might be...fun to play.

T

train

I like the challenge within the deck building... but also look forward to building and playing it...

For the most part - It's fun magic on a cheap budget...;)

C

Captain Caveman

Ok, I'm gonna toss out some decklist.Of course, these are just
random ideas, from a simple mind. Uncommons are at top of
decklist.

'CPA' (Cranial Peasant Affinity)

4 Skullclamp

4 Welding Jar
4 Bonesplitter
4 Aether Spellbomb
3 Cranial Plating
3 Thoughtcast

4 Frogmite
4 Ornithopter(common in older set)
4 Myr Enforcer
4 Arcbound Worker
3 Disciple of the Vault

4 Lotus Petal
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Vault of Whispers
4 Great Furnace
3 Darksteel Citadel

'Reanimator'

4 Animate Dead
1 Reanimate

4 Exhume
4 Duress
4 Hymn to Tourach
3 Diabolic Edict
2 Consume Spirit

3 Phyrexian Rager(draws a card)
4 Twisted Abomination(cycling)
4 Wirewood Guardian(cycling)
4 Krosan Tusker(ditto)

16 Swamp
4 Lotus Petal
3 Forest

'Lord of the Rings'

4 Sol Ring(wow 4 rings, sweeet)
1 Fact or Fiction

4 Repulse
4 Brainstorm
4 Counterspell

4 Ophidian
4 Man-`o-War
4 Phyrexian War Beast
4 Illusionary Forces
4 Rishadan Airship
3 Spiral Golem

16 Island
4 Mishra's Factory

Killer Joe

Oversoul: Barbed Lightning is a way for me to get in that extra damage to the player (first to the creature) because Skittering Skirge has A LOT of WORK to do. So the barbs help the 'load' a little. Also Hymn to Tourach is great, except, I don't have any :(.

train: I thought Gaea's Blessing was an uncommon.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Question which train and Oversoul touched on: For those sets in which no rares were "officially" designated, it's okay for the uncommons to stand as uncommons? Like U1 is generally acknowledged to be the "rare" slot and U3 the uncommon slot, but since they're officially uncommons, that's how they fall in Peasant Magic? So it's easier to bookkeep? :)

K

Killerbob

Oversoul:
Against white control red always faces a problem, since scrolls is easy to remove for white. I played Parfait when that was hot, and beated red each time. The problem is not that red misses the scrolls in peasant -the matchup is hopeless. But he might be able to include anarchy in sideboard.

Nice story with the B-W matchup. But i really dont believe it. First turn gloom would probably be game, but I guess you dont play gloom maindeck, and gloom is uncommon (will you use a umcommon slot for that?), and first urn gloom requires both dark ritual,gloom at at least 1 land in 8 cards. If you dont have 2 lands in that hand, you might end up being manascrewed yourself.
Pestilence is easy to destroy for a white player. Gloom is strong, but if your strategy is slow as is pestilence, then your opponent might be able to build up some mana and neglect gloom.
Another problem with MBP would be the amazingly poor matchup against red burn.

Chaos Turtle:

of course you can play the crabdeck. But I dont think its comptetitive. But I might be wrong. Actually I might try building a deck like that -it looks fun.
Strategy is a clever idea, but you dont have time for waiting much against a burndeck. Surely dirupt is very good. If you draw a couple of these you might have a chance :)

I´m not to judge if monoblue is hard to play or not. That depends on yourself I guess. But I think that building a competive deck is hard. Maybe you can make one. But there are not many options. This is primarily about creatures, and blue doesnt have that many playable cretures. And blue cant destroy opponents creatures very easy. Also creatures+burn is basically better strategy than creatures+counters.

T

train

spidey - yeah, all the U1s are considered uncommons... even if reprinted as rares...:cool:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Killerbob
Oversoul:
Against white control red always faces a problem, since scrolls is easy to remove for white. I played Parfait when that was hot, and beated red each time. The problem is not that red misses the scrolls in peasant -the matchup is hopeless. But he might be able to include anarchy in sideboard.

Nice story with the B-W matchup. But i really dont believe it. First turn gloom would probably be game, but I guess you dont play gloom maindeck, and gloom is uncommon (will you use a umcommon slot for that?), and first urn gloom requires both dark ritual,gloom at at least 1 land in 8 cards. If you dont have 2 lands in that hand, you might end up being manascrewed yourself.
Pestilence is easy to destroy for a white player. Gloom is strong, but if your strategy is slow as is pestilence, then your opponent might be able to build up some mana and neglect gloom.
Another problem with MBP would be the amazingly poor matchup against red burn.
Parfait uses insane card advantage and has no equivalent in Peasant format.

In casual games I've beaten monowhite with monred before, but it was usually tough, and I liked having Cursed Scrolls to get around defensive measures for the final blow. It's not hopeless anyway. I don't think anyone would play a deck that had truly hopeless matchups...

Burn is a bad matchup for monoblack only depending on the contents of both decks. A deck that relies heavily on Pestilence will be harder pressed to win, but can still pull it off. Flame Rift is not as pretty, for one thing. For another, Hymn is simply beautiful against burn decks. Still not my favorite matchup, but definitely winnable.

But anyway, my point had nothing to do with Pestilence there. I thought I might try Pestilence for fun...

But I meant that black has some insane commons for Peasant format and that I would expect it to do really well.

The gloom thing was supposing there would be sideboarding. Obviously Gloom would not be the maindeck uncommons. Monoblack control would have to be my choice for this format though, if I were to get into it...

Burn could be good too, but I think that the white matchup would be too bad and I already play burn all the time anyway...

4x Ball Lightning
1x Some good uncommon
4x Mogg Fanatic
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Incinerate
4x Chain Lightning
4x Flame Rift
4x Seal of Fire
4x Fireblast
2x Scent of Cinder
2x Sonic Burst
4x Some other burn spells probably
2x Sandstone Needle
17x Mountain

...or something like that.

Anyway, I'm perplexed at your pointing out that you really don't believe the black-white story I made up.

It could have gone without saying, since it is the single greatest exaggeration I have EVER made, excluding this one and possibly some others...

The underlying point of which was to illustrate that I believe that monoblack is THE best for Peasant format. I'm of course not an expert on the format, but such is my opinion. I would say that before sideboarding, burn is probably better. Oh, and some blue concoction with High Tide or some other broken common could possibly slaughter everything instead, for all I know...

I mean, banning Brain Freeze won't solve everything. Blue is still evil. Right, Train? ;)

T

train

yea, blue is still evil...

the reason I went G/B instead of mono-"anything but blue"... is the ability to cycle my deck, It's just too useful...

The deck may end up bowing to mono-red burn though, because it takes me a while to get my life back...:rolleyes:

But - it's totally do-able... and I am running the creature control to hold off the Balls...

As for the red deck you listed - i seriously think that Seething Song, could bring the wins about much faster... Instead of third turn ball - it's third turn, ball, incinerate (bolt, bolt) fireblast...

It could almost be done second turn, except for the blast, because of the needles...

;)

C

Captain Caveman

Can a powered down version of Tog work? He's a decklist to
consider. No play-est results just an idea. Shadow Rift lets
it sneak through(maybe)or the Charm might break through.

Peasantog

4 Psychatog
1 Force of Will

1 Capsize
2 Shadow Rift
3 Mana Leak
3 Disrupt
3 Merchant Scroll
3 Deep Analysis
4 Counterspell
4 Gush
4 Accumulated Knowledge